Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947636 times)

Bernard

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1230 on: March 22, 2010, 07:56:19 AM »

I'm now reading 'A Confederacy of Dunces'

that's my favorite book.  the audiobook is really good too; the reader does the characters in different voices and really makes each stand out. 

Kiwi_Herman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1231 on: March 22, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
I’m not too far into Confederacy, but so far Ignatius reminds me of grown up Holden Caulfield.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1232 on: March 22, 2010, 11:17:39 PM »
How nerdy is it that I'm reading The Illuminatus Trilogy, again?
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

adam of nj

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1233 on: March 23, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »
Hi all,

Currently I am reading 'Blues and Chaos' the music writing of robert palmer, not the-might as well face it youre addicted to love-guy.

adam

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1234 on: March 24, 2010, 12:20:35 AM »

that's my favorite book.  the audiobook is really good too; the reader does the characters in different voices and really makes each stand out. 

I really love that book and if they ever pull of the impossible and make it into a film I've always imagined Zach G would be great for the Ignatius role.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1235 on: March 24, 2010, 12:22:50 AM »
Has anybody ever read  Breece D'J Pancake's stuff is the hype for real?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1236 on: March 24, 2010, 06:37:48 AM »

I really love that book and if they ever pull of the impossible and make it into a film I've always imagined Zach G would be great for the Ignatius role.

Honest to God, that's inspired casting.

Tyrannosaurus Rocks

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1237 on: March 24, 2010, 11:38:08 AM »
How nerdy is it that I'm reading The Illuminatus Trilogy, again?

Not as nerdy as the fact that I am reading Illuminatus and Essential Sub-Mariner Vol 1, Sub Mariner going into work, Illuminatus coming home.
Who ever heard of a dinosaur with a head full of grease and an out of tune guitar?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1238 on: March 24, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »
Already Dead by Denis Johnson.  I'm uneasy about where it's all going, particularly after I was let down by Tree of Smoke.  I thought Jesus' Son was pretty much perfect and have been unsure where to turn with him.

Bernard

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1239 on: March 24, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »

Honest to God, that's inspired casting.

ooh yeah that'd be great.  back in '06, will ferrell was slated to play the role, but zach would be phenominal

old news, but still an interesting read.  i can only assume mos def was slated to play Jones?

http://www.slate.com/id/2155500/

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1240 on: March 25, 2010, 11:07:40 AM »
Already Dead by Denis Johnson.  I'm uneasy about where it's all going, particularly after I was let down by Tree of Smoke.  I thought Jesus' Son was pretty much perfect and have been unsure where to turn with him.

Have you read Angels yet? That's probably my second favorite of his after Jesus' Son. His books are very different. And some are just plain weird (Fiskadoro, Resuscitation of a Hanged Man).
See God, Kai

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1241 on: March 25, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »

Have you read Angels yet? That's probably my second favorite of his after Jesus' Son. His books are very different. And some are just plain weird (Fiskadoro, Resuscitation of a Hanged Man).

I haven't.  I was either going to read that or The Name of the World.  Have you read that one?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1242 on: March 25, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »

I haven't.  I was either going to read that or The Name of the World.  Have you read that one?

I've read The Name of the World and I remember liking it. Nobody Move is a fun genre pastiche.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1243 on: March 25, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »
I haven't read The Name of the World. I'll probably check it out at some point. I think when I tried to order it I forgot the title and ended up ordering Seek, his nonfiction articles collection, instead. It's worth checking out.
See God, Kai

Cotton

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1244 on: March 26, 2010, 05:21:13 AM »
i just spend a week in San Francisco reading The Barbary Coast by Herbert Asbury and LOVING how insane that town used to be.

I may have to move on to his history of the prohibition.