Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947381 times)

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1260 on: April 17, 2010, 11:57:59 AM »
The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.  Amazing.

That's the novelization of Star Wars, right?

Kiwi_Herman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1261 on: April 18, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »
David Foster Wallace's Consider The Lobsters

AND

Jack Handey's What I'd Say to the Martians and Other Veiled Threats.

sparkatus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1262 on: April 18, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls - Peter Biskind, in tandem with You Shall Know Our Velocity - Dave Eggers.

Got to finish that andsoon so I can get on to the (attractively trashy) Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1263 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls - Peter Biskind, in tandem with You Shall Know Our Velocity - Dave Eggers.

Got to finish that andsoon so I can get on to the (attractively trashy) Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson.

Weird, I just finished the Biskind book. Some interesting behind-the-scenes stuff but ultimately the book became a slog and I couldn't wait to finish it. I try not to pay attention to the off-camera lives of directors, but it was disappointing to learn that all of the directors I admire so much are some of the worst human beings on Earth.

Next, I'm onto Norwood by Charles Portis.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Louis Lame

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1264 on: April 19, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »

My first real comprehensive exposure to American frontier history, really really really good read. I luv wuds.

scratchbomb

« Reply #1265 on: April 19, 2010, 12:20:34 PM »
Just finished Paul Auster's Invisible--typically Auster-y; if you're already on board with him, you will like it. Now finally working my way through Dennis Johnson's Tree of Smoke, which is great, and quite instructive for something I'm currently working on.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1266 on: April 19, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »

I avoided Love and Rockets in the 80s because of that horrible band.

Next up:

sparkatus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1267 on: April 20, 2010, 02:09:17 AM »
Just finished Paul Auster's Invisible--typically Auster-y; if you're already on board with him, you will like it.

My thoughts exactly - I love Auster, but all of his books are essentially the same, and this one is no different, but with added ambiguous incest.

bakersfieldchimp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1268 on: April 20, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »
Next up:

George Saunders is great-- I heard "The 400 Pound CEO" on an episode of This American Life and knew then and there that I needed to read all of his stuff.

sparkatus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1269 on: April 20, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »

Weird, I just finished the Biskind book. Some interesting behind-the-scenes stuff but ultimately the book became a slog and I couldn't wait to finish it. I try not to pay attention to the off-camera lives of directors, but it was disappointing to learn that all of the directors I admire so much are some of the worst human beings on Earth.

Next, I'm onto Norwood by Charles Portis.

I'm at that point now, almost 500 pages in so have the feeling that I had better finish it so that effort's not been for nothing! I'll admit that I bought it as I heard it was something of a scandalous rollercoaster, but after you've heard ten coke-addled creep stories, they kind of blend into one. Glad I picked it up, but I won't go giving it a second read any time soon.

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1270 on: April 20, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
I am reading the new Willie Mays biography, and it is not going quick.  Quickly?  Quick. Bah.

Harpsichord

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1271 on: April 20, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »
I'm gonna go pick up the new Sarah Silverman book today,  "The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee".  It's freaking me out a little that the picture she chose for the back of the book is the same picture Auntie Christina uses for her avatar.  I'm too used to seeing it on here to be prepared to see it on the dust jacket of a book.

Awesome cover picture is by Robin Von Swank who has also done work for the CDR Calendar, Chris Fairbank's new album, etc...

scratchbomb

« Reply #1272 on: April 20, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
Just finished Paul Auster's Invisible--typically Auster-y; if you're already on board with him, you will like it.

My thoughts exactly - I love Auster, but all of his books are essentially the same, and this one is no different, but with added ambiguous incest.

I dunno, it seemed pretty unambiguous to me...

His books aren't all the same the way some other writers' are, but thematically or spiritually, they're all the same book. And there's nothing wrong with that, if you're a good enough writer, which he is.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

wood and iron

« Reply #1273 on: April 20, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »

I dunno, it seemed pretty unambiguous to me...

His books aren't all the same the way some other writers' are, but thematically or spiritually, they're all the same book. And there's nothing wrong with that, if you're a good enough writer, which he is.

I read Man in the Dark by him and thought the alternate universe stuff was a complete waste and went nowhere.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1274 on: April 20, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »
It's freaking me out a little that the picture she chose for the back of the book is the same picture Auntie Christina uses for her avatar. 

Har ... apparently she tried to get all the other nominees of whatever that award show was to do it too, but none of them would.

I am not always on board w/her comedy, but I think she's funny as fuck as a photographic subject. She does great take-the-piss pictures, like this one which was a huge billboard in NYC a few yrs back I think for Gap:

And omg this is funny, when I went to go find the above shot, I found this as well:

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?