Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947184 times)

Louis Lame

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1275 on: April 20, 2010, 06:34:20 PM »
Just finished Paul Auster's Invisible--typically Auster-y; if you're already on board with him, you will like it.

My thoughts exactly - I love Auster, but all of his books are essentially the same, and this one is no different, but with added ambiguous incest.

I dunno, it seemed pretty unambiguous to me...

His books aren't all the same the way some other writers' are, but thematically or spiritually, they're all the same book. And there's nothing wrong with that, if you're a good enough writer, which he is.

I've only read City of Glass but that was pretty wild. I feel like university has screwed with my enthusiasm for postmodern literature, which I don't even necessarily know if this guy subscribes to.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1276 on: April 20, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »
Pale Fire.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1277 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:57 AM »
Pale Fire might very well be the best book ever written.  I have read it a dozen times.  Pizza Hut owes me fifty "pizzas" just for this book.
Who I don't have chocolate?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1278 on: April 21, 2010, 06:23:24 AM »
Next up:

George Saunders is great-- I heard "The 400 Pound CEO" on an episode of This American Life and knew then and there that I needed to read all of his stuff.

Which, unfortunately, only takes about 4 hours. Best 4 hours of your year, though.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1279 on: April 21, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Miami Blues. It's pretty cool but I can only stomach about one mystery novel a year so it will take me until 2013 to finish off the Hoke Mosely series.

sparkatus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1280 on: April 23, 2010, 03:17:01 PM »
Just finished Paul Auster's Invisible--typically Auster-y; if you're already on board with him, you will like it.

My thoughts exactly - I love Auster, but all of his books are essentially the same, and this one is no different, but with added ambiguous incest.

I dunno, it seemed pretty unambiguous to me...

His books aren't all the same the way some other writers' are, but thematically or spiritually, they're all the same book. And there's nothing wrong with that, if you're a good enough writer, which he is.

I've only read City of Glass but that was pretty wild. I feel like university has screwed with my enthusiasm for postmodern literature, which I don't even necessarily know if this guy subscribes to.

It was university that got me onto Auster initially, as Leviathan was a set text in a module on terrorism in literature. It was great in that I don't know if I would have been so easily exposed to him otherwise, but has the side effect of me formulating essay questions whenever I'm reading him.

City of Glass and the other two parts of The New York Trilogy are great, but my favourite of his, and possibly the novel that strays furthest from his usual concerns (although perhaps here they are just transferred to another medium) is Book of Illusions, which has a real emotional kick to it. In a way, I'd compare the similarity in themes and spirit in his books with a favoured band who don't stray too far from their initial sound (and I'm not saying that's always a good thing); a new novel or record is pretty much going to be some more of the stuff I enjoy, but slightly different from the last one.

On a completely different note, has anyone read the John Darnielle 33/3 book on Master of Reality?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1281 on: April 23, 2010, 05:33:11 PM »
On a completely different note, has anyone read the John Darnielle 33/3 book on Master of Reality?

Yes. Normally I'm a fan of those "It's not about the record" bits of criticism, but I like this one.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

scratchbomb

« Reply #1282 on: April 26, 2010, 09:31:39 AM »
City of Glass and the other two parts of The New York Trilogy are great, but my favourite of his, and possibly the novel that strays furthest from his usual concerns (although perhaps here they are just transferred to another medium) is Book of Illusions, which has a real emotional kick to it. In a way, I'd compare the similarity in themes and spirit in his books with a favoured band who don't stray too far from their initial sound (and I'm not saying that's always a good thing); a new novel or record is pretty much going to be some more of the stuff I enjoy, but slightly different from the last one.

Book of Illusions was great, too, and I like your band analogy. Some writers/bands can get away with that, and some can't. Depends largely on the writer/band, and your taste. Part of the reason you like a particular band is because you like their sound (for lack of a better word), and I think you can enjoy a writer's output in the same way.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1283 on: April 28, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »
Just finished Paul Auster's Invisible--typically Auster-y; if you're already on board with him, you will like it. Now finally working my way through Dennis Johnson's Tree of Smoke, which is great, and quite instructive for something I'm currently working on.

How did I miss this?  What exactly are you working on where that CRUSHING book would be instructive?  Espionage?  Defoliants? Alcoholism? Murdering a monkey? 

THAT ONE SUPER HORRIBLE SCENE?! 

I loved that book, by the way.  Hope it's working for you! 
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1284 on: April 28, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
i know i'm opening the flood gates with this one, but can someone recommend a music biography.  i enjoy similar tastes as the rest of you- no worries on feeling that out.

i guess i'm in a book rut and don't know what i want to read, but i feel like a good music biography would get me back on track.  although, someone did mention the new chuck klosterman book to me recently.  my feelings for that guy=love+hate.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1285 on: April 28, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
I liked Miles Davis' autobiography, there were plenty of fun stories in there, and he's more or less honest about things ('anytime you read a story back then about how I just sat around the house doing drugs all day, that was true')

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1286 on: April 28, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
i know i'm opening the flood gates with this one, but can someone recommend a music biography.  i enjoy similar tastes as the rest of you- no worries on feeling that out.

i guess i'm in a book rut and don't know what i want to read, but i feel like a good music biography would get me back on track.  although, someone did mention the new chuck klosterman book to me recently.  my feelings for that guy=love+hate.

Eye Mind: The Saga of Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators, The Pioneers of Psychedelic Sound [Paperback]
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

scratchbomb

« Reply #1287 on: April 28, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
Just finished Paul Auster's Invisible--typically Auster-y; if you're already on board with him, you will like it. Now finally working my way through Dennis Johnson's Tree of Smoke, which is great, and quite instructive for something I'm currently working on.

How did I miss this?  What exactly are you working on where that CRUSHING book would be instructive?  Espionage?  Defoliants? Alcoholism? Murdering a monkey? 

THAT ONE SUPER HORRIBLE SCENE?! 

I loved that book, by the way.  Hope it's working for you! 

I'm working on a book that involves espionage. I also have plans to start an imperialist war in Southeast Asia
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1288 on: April 28, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »

Have you read HELLFIRE by Nick Tosches? It's a Jerry Lee Lewis biography and it's amazing.

MOON: THE LIFE AND DEATH OF A ROCK LEGEND by Tony Fletcher is really good as well.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1289 on: April 28, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »

Have you read HELLFIRE by Nick Tosches? It's a Jerry Lee Lewis biography and it's amazing.

MOON: THE LIFE AND DEATH OF A ROCK LEGEND by Tony Fletcher is really good as well.

Seconding the love for HELLFIRE. One of the best books I've ever read. SHAKEY by Jimmy McDonough is really good too - it's a Neil Young biography.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.