Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947106 times)

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1380 on: August 18, 2010, 12:51:45 AM »
Just finished Whale Music, by Paul Quarrington and I've really enjoyed it quite a bit. Seriously funny stuff, which I wasn't expecting after reading King Leary and getting nothing from it.

Has anyone else read it? (Whale Music...)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1381 on: August 18, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
Super Sad True Love Story

Somewhat reminiscent of Infinite Jest as far as predicting a near future (which is considerably more believable than the one in Infinite Jest). I was put off hearing somebody on the Slate Culture Gabfest say it was about a 'post literate world where people speak in txt messages', but fortunately it is not some experiment where everything is in txt form and txt language. The Love Story part strains believability at times, but it's a funny book and I'm along for the ride.

Cotton

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1382 on: August 18, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
A Stranger in this World - Kevin Canty

book of short stories I happened across in the library. Surprisingly good, if not bleak, set of stories. Sort of that scraped-out alcoholic tone that shows up in a lot of Denis Johnson.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1383 on: August 19, 2010, 07:08:25 AM »
I just passed the 1000 page mark on Les Mis, about 450 to go. It's marvelous.

I am also reading Satiristas. I don't agree with much of it, but it's always entertaining. Penn Jillette is a self-obsessed tunnel-visioned dick.

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1384 on: August 19, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
A Stranger in this World - Kevin Canty

book of short stories I happened across in the library. Surprisingly good, if not bleak, set of stories. Sort of that scraped-out alcoholic tone that shows up in a lot of Denis Johnson.

There have been quite a crop of great short story collections over the past several years. Unfortunately, no one is buying many of them, but if you like Canty I can't recommend Wells Tower's Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned enough.

Another great collection is this dingy gathering of mid-south tropes The Name of the Nearest River by Alex Taylor. Almost a surreal vibe like Barry Hannagh, but very geographically connected. Not so much poetic, Carver type naturescapes.

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1385 on: August 22, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »
Just finished Cardboard Gods by Josh Wilker and it is AMAZING. Seriously, one of the best books I've ever read.

In case you haven't heard of it, it's basically a memoir about the author's unorthodox upbringing in the 70s, with each mini-chapter prefaced by a baseball card from his youth which exemplifies what was going on in his life at the time. But it's beautifully, wonderfully written. You definitely do not have to give two shits about baseball to enjoy it. I am currently recommending this to anyone who has the ability to read.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1386 on: September 04, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
100 pages into FREEDOM and I'm absolutely hooked. 

Thoroughly entertaining, frustrating, and astoundingly right-on (I'm in a section that takes place in a college, and it's perfect and super-paranoid). 

500 more pages to go and I bet I finish it by Monday night, and I bet my kid learns to feed herself this weekend. 

Ike
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1387 on: September 05, 2010, 11:56:40 AM »
Just finished Cardboard Gods by Josh Wilker and it is AMAZING. Seriously, one of the best books I've ever read.

In case you haven't heard of it, it's basically a memoir about the author's unorthodox upbringing in the 70s, with each mini-chapter prefaced by a baseball card from his youth which exemplifies what was going on in his life at the time. But it's beautifully, wonderfully written. You definitely do not have to give two shits about baseball to enjoy it. I am currently recommending this to anyone who has the ability to read.

Thanks for the recommendation, just finished this and really enjoyed it. 

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1388 on: September 05, 2010, 02:03:20 PM »
Reading an eponymous biography on the philosopher Wittgenstein. It's tagged The Duty of Genius.

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1389 on: September 07, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
currently reading The Best of LCD: The Art and Writing of WFMU.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-LCD-Writing-WFMU-FM-91-1/dp/1568987153

It's on my desk at work so I'm slowly plodding along but it's been a great historical voyage thus far.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1390 on: September 07, 2010, 02:01:29 PM »
I'm just about to start The Hilliker Curse by crazy-ass James Ellroy. Should be entertaining.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1391 on: September 07, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »

I am also reading Satiristas. I don't agree with much of it, but it's always entertaining. Penn Jillette is a self-obsessed tunnel-visioned dick.

Don't agree with much of it? There's an underlying theme? I haven't read it, but have heard about it on all the comedians talking about comedy with comedians comedy podcasts, so I want to read it eventually.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1392 on: September 07, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »

Don't agree with much of it? There's an underlying theme? I haven't read it, but have heard about it on all the comedians talking about comedy with comedians comedy podcasts, so I want to read it eventually.

The good points outweigh the silly ones about 3 to 1, but for comedians, many of these people are self-absorbed jerks who think the white hot light of truth shines out of their ass. Still, particularly the way the interviews flow structurally from one to another is very nicely worked out, as if all of these people were in one big room, and the next one to take a turn riffs on the previous comment.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's well worth your time, but the more self-important characters will stick with you long after you've forgotten many who made a few good points. Also, I don't know if I mentioned it, but Penn Jillette is a self-obsessed tunnel-visioned dick.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1393 on: September 08, 2010, 10:45:12 AM »

The good points outweigh the silly ones about 3 to 1, but for comedians, many of these people are self-absorbed jerks who think the white hot light of truth shines out of their ass. Still, particularly the way the interviews flow structurally from one to another is very nicely worked out, as if all of these people were in one big room, and the next one to take a turn riffs on the previous comment.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's well worth your time, but the more self-important characters will stick with you long after you've forgotten many who made a few good points. Also, I don't know if I mentioned it, but Penn Jillette is a self-obsessed tunnel-visioned dick.

OK, now I want to read the book even more.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1394 on: September 08, 2010, 10:45:50 AM »
I started reading Ulysses. This is the first time I've advanced more than 10 pages in. I can do this!