Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947133 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1455 on: November 10, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
I'm reading Deleuze & Guattari's Anti-Oedipus right now, for reasons that evade me.  What I understand is pretty interesting.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1456 on: December 26, 2010, 02:39:25 AM »
I got the paperback version of Nixonland for Christmas. But perusing through it, I noticed that my copy was missing about 30 pages at the end of the book. A book about Nixon missing 30 pages...seems about right.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1457 on: December 26, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »
Just started reading Tom McCarthy's C, but taking a little break to read Douglas Wolk's 33 1/3 book on James Brown's Live At The Apollo.  Kind of a crazy amount of minutae in it, but there's great stuff in there putting the actual concert in the context of the Cuban Missile Crisis, which will forever change the way I hear it.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1458 on: December 28, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »
Avoid like the plague A Visit from the Goon Squad, an incoherent, preposterous mess of a book. Anyone who thought, like me, that it would be an interesting take on aging punk rockers will be sorely disappointed. The fact that this was named one of the ten best books of 2010 by the NY Times is a joke. It was one of the worst books I've ever read.
See God, Kai

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1459 on: December 28, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »
I recently finished The Exquisite, by Laird Hunt, Author of The Impossibly (who's also the author of the unreleased 'Dear Laird Hunt, Author of The Impossibly').

It's similar in some ways to 'The Impossibly', one of the oddest books I've ever read (and one of my favorite books), but a bit more accessible (more than 2 characters in this book have actual names). There's some ambiguity as to what is really happening or happened, and like The Impossibly it's often pretty funny.

Right now I'm reading 'How To Survive in a Science Fictional Universe', about a time-machine repairman searching for his father in an incomplete universe (late in the project they ran out of money).

Pidgeon

« Reply #1460 on: January 05, 2011, 06:24:11 PM »
Mirror of the Arab World: Lebanon in Conflict

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1461 on: January 05, 2011, 07:01:28 PM »

and this

christmas gifts

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1462 on: January 05, 2011, 09:25:55 PM »
After finishing the year reading Methland and Leslie Kean's UFO book, I am starting the New Year with a little light reading.  "Alice I have Been," historical fiction by Melanie Benjamin.  Great if you have found yourself re-reading Alice in Wonderland too many times.  It Alice's perspective on her life as a young girl, when she was an old woman who remembered.... complete with the internal or eternal banter, like I said, light reading.

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1463 on: January 06, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
Just finished Patton's book. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with his word smithing, as he has always been really clever with language, but it is more salient on the page. All of his bits/essays left me feeling strangely sad, though very funny.

Turns out, according to the titular piece I am a Wasteland.

Reeleyes

« Reply #1464 on: January 07, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »
Just started Patton's book. I love it so far.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1465 on: January 11, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1466 on: January 11, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »
I read "Kink," Dave Davies' autobiography a couple months ago and this weekend I bought "X-Ray," Ray Davies' autobiography.  I'm excited to get the two books out side by side and compare their accounts of the same events.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1467 on: January 11, 2011, 09:07:24 PM »
There's nothing in X-Ray as bonkers as the last pages of Kink.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1468 on: January 12, 2011, 12:16:12 PM »
I also just started Patton's book. Experiencing some e-book buyers remorse, and thinking I should have bought the paper version instead.

Either way, it's very funny so far. I may just visit it at the bookstore to see the illustrations I am told I shouldn't miss.

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #1469 on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »
I just finished David Rakoff's latest book and really enjoyed it. I have a stack to choose from, but I think Patton is going to be next.