Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947662 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1500 on: February 17, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »
Let's have a race, War and Peace vs. Ulysses vs. Brothers Karamazov.

(comma added for clarification)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1501 on: February 17, 2011, 06:03:34 PM »
If any of you think you're a big reader, you should add Finnegan's Wake in there.  It's a relatively slim volume, comparatively.  Don't let that fool you.

I made it to page 11.  Ulysses page 78.  Those are my two worst attempts of all time, excepting books that I just figured out were terrible.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1502 on: February 18, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »
I read this: http://www.amazon.com/Scavengers-Guide-Haute-Cuisine/dp/1401352375

It was delightful. (anyone know how to pronounce Escoffier? i had to stop reading every time I saw it. I settled on Es-ko-FEAR.)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1503 on: February 18, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
If any of you think you're a big reader, you should add Finnegan's Wake in there.  It's a relatively slim volume, comparatively.  Don't let that fool you.

I made it to page 11.  Ulysses page 78.  Those are my two worst attempts of all time, excepting books that I just figured out were terrible.

I promised myself I will not even crack the cover of Ulysses (or Finnegan's Wake) unless I am simultaneously taking a course on it.  ie When i am retired.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1504 on: March 09, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
Don't know if there's any Tim Winton fans out there (I haven't read this entire thread),  but if so, Showcase Australia is doing what looks to be a fairly high-end adaptation of one of my faves, Cloudstreet: http://showtime.com.au/cloudstreet/

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1505 on: March 09, 2011, 07:30:30 PM »
I just read A Game of Thrones. I don't read any fantasy (I have read Lord of the Rings) but this book was absolutely fantastic. Despite its large size, I read it in less than a week. I absolutely want to finish the series but it is a daunting task.

Bonus: I now understand a lot of John Hodgman's references on his Twitter that come from this series.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1506 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »
I just finished Ed Koch and the Rebuilding of New York City by Jonathan Soffer. It's a fascinating read for those with an interest in urban history/big city politics.

I'm now waiting for my copy of Daddy's Boy which I snagged off Amazon for 45 cents.

Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1507 on: March 09, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
Just finished Rebecca Solnit's Secret Exhibition: Six California Artists of the Cold War Era. Don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone who wasn't really into American art history or obscure 50s counterculture, but I like everything Solnit does.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dudep

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1508 on: March 10, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »
I just finished Ed Koch and the Rebuilding of New York City by Jonathan Soffer. It's a fascinating read for those with an interest in urban history/big city politics.

I'm now waiting for my copy of Daddy's Boy which I snagged off Amazon for 45 cents.

Has anyone read All That Is Solid Melts Into Air by Marshall Berman?  Sort of a philosophical take on Koch and his ilk that spins off into Baudelaire, Goethe, Zola, etc.

CAN YOU DIG IT?

Pidgeon

« Reply #1509 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »

I love that kind of thing too. I'll check it out.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1510 on: March 10, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
I assume everyone with an interest in that kind of thing has read The Power Broker.  No?  What's wrong with you?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1511 on: March 10, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »
I assume everyone with an interest in that kind of thing has read The Power Broker.  No?  What's wrong with you?

I got to page 100 and nobody exposed themself or got their head blown off, so I put it down.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1512 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
I just read 'Imperial Windows' by Bret Easton Ellis.  I have no idea why I did this. 
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

dcgut

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1513 on: March 10, 2011, 09:44:07 PM »
I finally picked up Wittgenstein's Mistress after a year or so of wanting to read it. Its great so far!

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1514 on: March 10, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »

it's amazing
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.