Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947424 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1545 on: March 22, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
I was bored to tears with Foucault's Pendulum, lost my copy, and never got another. I guess Umberto Eco is OK, but he sometimes strikes me as a middlebrow version of postmodernism -- I'd rather just read Pynchon, DeLillo, or DFW. I'm confused most of the time, but I'd rather be confused than bored.

And also:

Connection to last week's show: I've been spending a lot of time in airports lately, and browse in the crappy bookstores looking at all the business books. I'm too broke and already own too many unread books to buy any, but for some inexplicable reason I have this involuntary response to collections of identical books, like the 33 1/3 books or the BFI Film Classics series. I just want them all. So I flip through the Harvard Business School Pocket Mentor series, and part of me (mostly superstitiously) thinks, if I learn all this MBA crap, I can reboot my life and have a career in TV. So I get them from the library, and they're just about the dullest thing I've ever read, like reading a memo. They take about as long to read as memos, too.

How does one read Dallas-Forth Worth?!?!  Help, I've never heard the show before and... forget it.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pidgeon

« Reply #1546 on: March 24, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
I'm too broke and already own too many unread books to buy any, but for some inexplicable reason I have this involuntary response to collections of identical books, like the 33 1/3 books or the BFI Film Classics series. I just want them all.

I'm like that with the O'Reilly Media computer books with the different animules on the covers.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1547 on: March 25, 2011, 04:54:58 AM »
I finished Ubik, which was much better in the first 60 pages than in the last 120. There's a character named Pat Conway (or maybe Conley), who has the ability to essentially move her consciousness back in time maybe 15 minutes, see multiple possible immediate futures and get a glimpse of their long-term consequences, choose the one that she thinks best avoids the problem in what actually already happened, then drag everyone along that path. In 60's parlance, the scenes that include her are mind-blowing, and I assumed were opening up exciting options for the rest of the book. And then, basically, she's not used for the rest of the book. Very disappointing, and the main conceit of the rest of the book just doesn't live up, even remotely, to the set-up. Damn it.

Still bogged down in the epilogue/afterwords of War and Peace.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1548 on: April 01, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »
Is this "Hyperion" sci-fi book by Dan Simmons any good?  It was recommended to me from several people, but I'm like 100 pages in and it's still pretty dull.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1549 on: April 01, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »
I finished War and Peace!!!!! My 70000 word summary is coming soon. I am reading Infinite Jest for the third time. Now that I am a more careful reader, I hope more of it sticks with me. I love the second chapter, the guy waiting for a weed delivery.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1550 on: April 01, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
I finished War and Peace!!!!! My 70000 word summary is coming soon. I am reading Infinite Jest for the third time. Now that I am a more careful reader, I hope more of it sticks with me. I love the second chapter, the guy waiting for a weed delivery.

I love it, Dave ... you're like me (and like a buncha youse, I suspect). I don't know why, because I no longer have the intestinal fortitude never mind the time to read the monster books. But I still want the monster books. I'm in the middle of a HUGE book purge since I have more shit than a person can read in 10 lifetimes, and I am still holding on to these 1000 page books. Even if I read them 15 years ago or whatever. Even if I know deep in my heart I will never read them.

This one is giving me feverish dreams, I want it so much:

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1551 on: April 01, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »

I've done two readings of IJ (after two readings, I figure it's ok to just go by the initials, right?) myself. It's one of my favorites.  And that second chapter is pretty damn good.  Also, Wheelchair Assassins. 
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

dudep

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1552 on: April 01, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »
It ain't Infinite Jest, but it's pretty massive as far as music books go (plus many footnotes!).

Highly recommended.

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1553 on: April 01, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »
It ain't Infinite Jest, but it's pretty massive as far as music books go (plus many footnotes!).

Highly recommended.

I may have to check that one out.  I've also been wanting to read "As Serious As Your Life" for a long time, but always forget.
  I had a CD by the Art Ensemble of Chicago, way back in the day, and then I let someone "borrow" it, back when I was dumb enough to do that.  It was more likely that I was trying to evangelize to an uninterested party, and for my efforts that thing got lost to the ages. 

Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1554 on: April 02, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »
currently reading:

The Rest is Noise -- Alex Ross

slow going, but only because I have to stop listening all the time to listen to the music he's talking about.

Searched the thread to see if there were any opinions on this- I'm considering it as a hopefully lighter/more enjoyable alternative to some of the stuff I'm supposed to be reading for a class.

Rasmussen

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1555 on: April 02, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Currently reading Nixonland.  I am really enjoying this.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1556 on: April 03, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »
The second Harrison Dextrose book.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1557 on: April 03, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »
currently reading:

slow going, but only because I have to stop listening all the time to listen to the music he's talking about.

Searched the thread to see if there were any opinions on this- I'm considering it as a hopefully lighter/more enjoyable alternative to some of the stuff I'm supposed to be reading for a class.

It's very good, but I find it annoying to read about music when I'm not very familiar with it.  You'll want to have recordings of the various pieces he mentions handy.

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1558 on: April 03, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
currently reading:

It's very good, but I find it annoying to read about music when I'm not very familiar with it.  You'll want to have recordings of the various pieces he mentions handy.

So it sounds like it kind of ties you to a computer- I might save it for another time, then.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1559 on: April 03, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
Reading Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, which is based on accounts of people who have fled.  Like most people, I've been well aware of the country's extreme totalitarianism and famine, but this really adds another dimension to the history.  Fascinating and frightening.