Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947122 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2007, 06:08:08 PM »
I'm just bustin balls, B. Seriously, though, does The French Connection really need new readers at this late date? It's got to be a little moldy compared to recent big drug bust books, no?

Life is short is all I'm sayin.
See God, Kai

bruce

« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2007, 07:05:27 PM »
I'm just bustin balls, B. Seriously, though, does The French Connection really need new readers at this late date? It's got to be a little moldy compared to recent big drug bust books, no?

Life is short is all I'm sayin.

Ok but those would not have fit my 70's cinema motif for that column.

Susannah

« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2007, 05:55:20 PM »
Tree of Life got a pretty ecstatic review in the NYT Book review last week or the week before, I'll definitely have to check that out.

I covered a colleague's 7th grade English class today (the school I work at is 6-12) and talked about "The Outsiders" with them. I realized it's one of the books I read while I was still in single-digits...how weird is that? I feel so old and I'm only 23.

Vambo

• Policemans heel
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2007, 12:04:53 AM »
"the devil in the white city" by eric larson

Interesting premise and hyped to no end here in Chicagoland, but it may be the flattest piece of prose I've ever read.
Abstinence, like all things, is best practiced in moderation.

Vambo

• Policemans heel
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2007, 12:15:59 AM »
As I scrolled through this thread, my peripheral vision kept reading "Favre Books".  Yikes.

All time fave is probably Robertson Davies "What's Bred In The Bone".

My favorite current books are C.J. Sansom's Shardlake mysteries.

I'm currently two thirds through Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian".
Abstinence, like all things, is best practiced in moderation.

bruce

« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2007, 02:10:13 PM »
As I scrolled through this thread, my peripheral vision kept reading "Favre Books".  Yikes.

What not a fan of the reading tastes of Green Bay's QB

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »
The best book that had me laughing out loud in public: Rivethead by Ben Hamper.

He's the guy from Roger and Me shooting basketball, talking about the nervous breakdown he suffered while working for GM. No Michael Moorish finger wagging here, just hilarious writing about dosing the boss' sandwiches, violent poets, drunken lunchbreak rampages and the Quality Cat! Scoop it up if you can find it, Ive loaned out all the copies Ive ever owned and now I cant find it.

Susannah

« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »
The following books just fell out of my bag:

Shakespeare--Othello (teaching copy, Signet Classics edition)
Franklin Bruno--Armed Forces (33 1/3 album series)
William Golding--Lord of the Flies (Riverhead Books critical edition with introduction by EM Forster!)
Euripides--Medea and Other Plays (Oxford World Classics edition; edited and translated by James Morwood)
Greenhaven Press Literary Companion's Readings on Medea
Clinton Heylin--From the Velvets to the Voidoids: A Pre-Punk History for a Post-Punk World

That about sums it up.  I need to get out more.  What about everyone else?

Sarah

« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2007, 07:08:36 PM »
I am rereading Josephine Tey.  I'm on The Daughter of Time now, having finished A Shilling for Candles, The Singing Sands, and To Love and Be Wise.  Two more to go after this, and then I have to start deciding what to read again. 

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »
Susannah, the confluence of plays and music nerd books in your bag makes me hope we get each other as Secret Santas (assuming that I am not getting that plane from Laurie).

I'm supposed to be reading Darwin's Origin of Species for a play I'm writing, but I'm so fried at the moment that I'm doing a lot of piecemeal reading.  It's my least favorite kind, but about all that I'm up for at the moment.  I have actually just purchased two books that fit the fill perfectly: WFMU's The Best of LCD book and, also from Princeton Architectural Press, Taking Things Seriously by Josh Glenn and Carol Hayes, which is a series of 75 photos and short essays about weird fetish objects that people own.

Has anyone else heard the rumor that Negativland is doing an Entourage book?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2007, 07:09:07 AM »
I am on a George Saunders kick; in the past 3 weeks I read The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil, Civilwarland in Bad Decline, and I've started In Persuasion Nation. Fun stuff, if you hate humanity like I do. I am also writing interactive internet tutorials for Stewart's Calculus: Concepts and Contexts Volume 3. Anybody else read that barrel of laughs? My favorite part is "When is the monkey speeding up? When is the monkey slowing down?"

octopus volcano

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2007, 10:56:50 AM »
I am on a George Saunders kick; in the past 3 weeks I read The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil, Civilwarland in Bad Decline, and I've started In Persuasion Nation. Fun stuff, if you hate humanity like I do.

I recently got to talk to George Saunders after a reading- he was a real swell guy.  He mentioned that Steve Coogan expressed interest in him writing an American version of Cruise of the Gods

I highly recommend Pastoralia !

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2007, 01:12:17 PM »
I am on a George Saunders kick; in the past 3 weeks I read The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil, Civilwarland in Bad Decline, and I've started In Persuasion Nation. Fun stuff, if you hate humanity like I do.

Dave, just as I consider Saunders to be one of the great humanist writers of our time, I would characterize you as one of the great humanist Best Show callers of our time.

And weirdly?  Every time you call, I visualize you as looking pretty much exactly like George Saunders, glasses and scruffy strawberry-blonde-gray-flecked-beard and everything.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2007, 03:56:02 PM »
That's a nice dream, Jasongrote.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2007, 04:21:07 PM »
It's really true.  I think you called the first time I ever listened, and ever since then you've looked exactly like Saunders, but actually with a little more hair.