Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 946042 times)

ArnaldoPalmer

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1845 on: January 01, 2013, 10:54:58 PM »
Thanks! I'm going to pick that up tomorrow.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1846 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:50 AM »
Plus you'll never be able to order red snapper again.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1847 on: January 05, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
I recently picked up Anathem by Neal Stephenson, because I'd enjoyed REAMDE. My heart sank when I saw this on the first page:

Anathem: (1) In Proto-Orth, a poetic or musical invocation of Our Mother Hylaea, which since the time of Adrakhones has been the climax of the daily liturgy [...] (2) In New Orth, an aut by which an incorrigible fraa or suur is ejected from the math and his or her work sequestered [etc...]

I gave it a few more pages, but it looks like the whole thing is like that. Jesus Christ.

I think of myself as someone who likes sci-fi, but I'm just not down with that kind of thing.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1848 on: January 05, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
Good lord. I don't think I'll be trying that. Necromonicon I liked, though.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1849 on: January 06, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »
Can anyone recommend a really great translation of Don Quixote? I attempted reading it a few years back and failed, but believe I have a pretty dry translation.

Thanks.

P.S. Reading Straight Man by Richard Russo and it's funny and great.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1850 on: January 06, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
Can anyone recommend a really great translation of Don Quixote? I attempted reading it a few years back and failed, but believe I have a pretty dry translation.

I enjoyed the Samuel Putnam translation.
See God, Kai

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1851 on: January 06, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
I read a random translation (either Penguin or Oxford, I think) that I found used and it was quite a slog. I probably wouldn't have made it through if it hadn't been required reading for school. It's great, but requires some commitment. I enjoyed the second book (the 'postmodern' part) more than the first.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1852 on: January 06, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

Noted. Thanks.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1853 on: January 07, 2013, 06:33:59 AM »

Noted. Thanks.

Avoid the Seth Putnam translation.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1854 on: January 07, 2013, 06:43:46 AM »

Noted. Thanks.

Avoid the Seth Putnam translation.

Someone needs to translate Seth Putnam for an English-speaking audience.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1855 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:41 AM »
Seems like music-oriented books come up as a topic of discussion fairly regularly on the show and among the FOT. I was thinking about organizing a music book reading club for us. Pick one a month. Alternate between new titles and titles considered essential reads [like Hammer Of The Gods or Our Band Could Be Your Life]. Maybe throw in a work of fiction from time-to-time. Pick a non-show night to meetup in the chat room to discuss the book [does the chat room ever get used outside of 9p-12a EST on Tuesdays?]. I was thinking of "Rock, Rot Then Write" as the group name since that seems to be the life cycle of book-writing musicians [they rock for a while then rot away outside of the spotlight before penning their memoir as a last cash-grab attempt].

Thoughts?

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1856 on: January 23, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
[does the chat room ever get used outside of 9p-12a EST on Tuesdays?].].

NO.

I'm reading MOBY DICK. It's a delightful read or something
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1857 on: January 23, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »
[does the chat room ever get used outside of 9p-12a EST on Tuesdays?].].

NO.

I'm reading MOBY DICK. It's a delightful read or something

This is not strictly true. I have talked with people on occasion during off times. Tom even stopped in once; it was a sort of "why are you here", but it was still a nice surprise.

Mike Desert

« Reply #1858 on: January 25, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »
I'm slowly making my way through "Life" and "Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal that Rocked Professional Sports".  Reading the last two "Criminal" graphic novels and "Fatale".
I was halfway through "Hammer of the Gods" which I totally forgot about 'till now...as well as "Somewhere In The House" by Elizabeth Daly which at this point I'm going to have to start over....I have problems.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

not that clay

« Reply #1859 on: January 25, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
Seems like music-oriented books come up as a topic of discussion fairly regularly on the show and among the FOT. I was thinking about organizing a music book reading club for us. Pick one a month. Alternate between new titles and titles considered essential reads [like Hammer Of The Gods or Our Band Could Be Your Life]. Maybe throw in a work of fiction from time-to-time. Pick a non-show night to meetup in the chat room to discuss the book [does the chat room ever get used outside of 9p-12a EST on Tuesdays?]. I was thinking of "Rock, Rot Then Write" as the group name since that seems to be the life cycle of book-writing musicians [they rock for a while then rot away outside of the spotlight before penning their memoir as a last cash-grab attempt].

Thoughts?

That sounds like fun!