Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947114 times)

bruce

Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2007, 05:47:09 PM »
Hate to admit it, but I envisioned you living in your own Hay-on-Wye.  With blue inkwells and quills set up strategically throughout the house.  Now I'm picturing you living in Jack Nicholson's barren white apartment at the end of Carnal Knowledge.

It's no Hay-on-Wye but here is one of my many bookcases:

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2007, 06:10:09 PM »

Looks like you've got Careless Love there.  I've always meant to read that.  Any good?

bruce

« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2007, 07:28:34 PM »

Looks like you've got Careless Love there.  I've always meant to read that.  Any good?

It's the second part of the Elvis bio its a fantastic. Read both parts.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2007, 10:01:29 AM »
I second the recommendation of Last Train to Memphis & Careless Love. I really loved both parts, though Careless Love had a bunch more stuff I didn't know.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Sarah

« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »
Now I'm picturing you living in Jack Nicholson's barren white apartment at the end of Carnal Knowledge.

I wish!

You would have loved the Godine offices back when I worked there:  the company was in the basement of an old brownstone in Back Bay (in Boston, for any philistines out there).  Lots of built-in dark wood shelves--probably mahogany or something fancy like that--loaded with books dating from the very beginning of the press, as well as various other typographical wonders from David's collection.  I seem to recall there was a Persian rug in his office.

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2007, 09:58:01 PM »
You would have loved the Godine offices back when I worked there:  the company was in the basement of an old brownstone in Back Bay (in Boston, for any philistines out there).  Lots of built-in dark wood shelves--probably mahogany or something fancy like that--loaded with books dating from the very beginning of the press, as well as various other typographical wonders from David's collection.  I seem to recall there was a Persian rug in his office.

Apparently, Godine isn't just a quirky champion of off-the-beaten-track books, but also a stickler for printing method/quality.  Found this interesting article that also includes the only available picture of Godine on the Internet:

http://www.barnstablepatriot.com/david_godine_publisher_with_a_spine_news_50_9041.html

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2007, 12:18:27 AM »
I second the recommendation of Last Train to Memphis & Careless Love. I really loved both parts, though Careless Love had a bunch more stuff I didn't know.

Careless Love is good, but his increasing degradation just goes on and on for hundreds of pages.  More than a little depressing. 

For some reason, a part of that book that stuck with me is Elvis acting out most of the movie "Across 110th Street" in his living room.   

TVD

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2007, 02:51:59 AM »
Bukowski's my favorite writer despite BS superstar Paul F. Tompkins badmouthing him :/
manintheceiling.com

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2007, 09:27:13 AM »
Careless Love is good, but his increasing degradation just goes on and on for hundreds of pages.  More than a little depressing.

True. But the parts about the 68 Comeback Special are awesome. That (and the couple of albums he made around the same time) are my favorite period of Elvis, so I was glad to read about that.

Sarah

« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2007, 11:02:27 AM »
Apparently, Godine isn't just a quirky champion of off-the-beaten-track books, but also a stickler for printing method/quality.

Oh, I thought you knew this already and that's why you like his books so much.  Yeah, he got into the biz because he loves the physical objects that are books.  He was a printer/typesetter first.  That's why so many earlier Godine books are pretty mediocre contentwise.  But they last: even the crappiest is printed on acid-free paper and has a sewn binding.  At least that was the case when I was there.

Found this interesting article that also includes the only available picture of Godine on the Internet:
http://www.barnstablepatriot.com/david_godine_publisher_with_a_spine_news_50_9041.html

Ha, I just found the same article the other day when I was looking for a picture of the Dartmouth street office for you.  It made me sad to see David older.  And so uncharacteristically tidy.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2007, 01:48:54 PM »
I like the bookshelf-posting.  To give you an idea of my unfortunate book compulsion, these two photos of the books in my bedroom, so stored because they're on my reading list, were taken in February 2005:

In the nearly three years since then, I've read exactly seven of these books (as well as many others, but the point is I've made hardly any headway).

This is the regular living room bookshelf, and I've read most of these.  I'm really just putting it here to antagonize the John Junk.

Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

bruce

« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2007, 03:32:06 PM »

True. But the parts about the 68 Comeback Special are awesome. That (and the couple of albums he made around the same time) are my favorite period of Elvis, so I was glad to read about that.

I love the passage of Dr. Elvis, when Priscilla overdoses.

bruce

« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2007, 03:35:21 PM »
Jasongrote skip the LeCarre, I feel his books are a bit longwinded and go nowhere fast. Having read a few of his longer works I know of what I speak. Nice to see that HC of Kavalair and Clay

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »
Really?  I feel like I've got to at least attempt The Spy Who Came in From The Cold and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, though it may take me years.  I'm not as big on plot in books, though - I do enjoy the Graham Greene-style intrigue.

I'm a huge fan of Kavalier and Clay...
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2007, 05:19:53 PM »
The Plot Against America is worth reading. It kinda unravels a bit at the end, as if Roth realized he'd written himself into a corner, but it's still a very enjoyable journey.