Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947126 times)

Bryan

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #480 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:15 AM »
I just finished Freedomland by Richard Price. First thing I've read by him. I was expecting crime fiction, and it is, to a great respect, a police procedural. But it's very ambitious, and it fulfills its ambitions, too. Great, great stuff. It's closer to late-period Philip Roth than to Ian Rankin.

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #481 on: September 02, 2008, 03:34:13 PM »
I just finished Freedomland by Richard Price. First thing I've read by him. I was expecting crime fiction, and it is, to a great respect, a police procedural. But it's very ambitious, and it fulfills its ambitions, too. Great, great stuff. It's closer to late-period Philip Roth than to Ian Rankin.

If you enjoy being depressed, pick up Lush Life, by Richard Price.   Even though it is set in the Lower East Side, Lush Life, to me, is the The Wire's lost 6th season. 

If you didn't follow The Wire, this was the season where Clay Davis sold 1,000 liquor licenses in a 10 block radius and
turned a community pool into a indie rock/dodgeball venue--thereby solidifying Baltimore's up-and-coming status. 

It's also the season where Carcetti makes a run for president, using the revitalized Western District, as well as its impressive statistic of Most FWDs Per Upscale Hot Dog Restaurant, as proof of his ability to lead.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #482 on: September 02, 2008, 04:00:38 PM »

If you enjoy being depressed, pick up Lush Life, by Richard Price.   Even though it is set in the Lower East Side, Lush Life, to me, is the The Wire's lost 6th season. 

If you didn't follow The Wire, this was the season where Clay Davis sold 1,000 liquor licenses in a 10 block radius and
turned a community pool into a indie rock/dodgeball venue--thereby solidifying Baltimore's up-and-coming status. 

It's also the season where Carcetti makes a run for president, using the revitalized Western District, as well as its impressive statistic of Most FWDs Per Upscale Hot Dog Restaurant, as proof of his ability to lead.

If you liked Freedomland, I'd second the Lush Life recommendation and also add Clockers to the list (don't let the crappy Spike Lee movie discourage you). I would, however, avoid Samaritan, which I did not like at all.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #483 on: September 02, 2008, 04:33:18 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm definitely going to be taking a look at Lush Life.

Vambo

• Policemans heel
« Reply #484 on: September 03, 2008, 12:20:45 AM »
Still slogging through Wuthering Heights, but I just picked up the following for when I'm done:

Note, not the graphic edition, it's just the only photo I could find.
Abstinence, like all things, is best practiced in moderation.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #485 on: September 03, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »
Stefan Fatsis' new book about trying out as a kicker for the Broncos.  If it's half as good as Word Freak it should be entertaining.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #486 on: September 03, 2008, 02:30:26 PM »
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #487 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:08 PM »
The team's star linebacker has always lived on the edge and enjoyed the nightlife more than he should. But when he's found beaten nearly to death in the stadium parking lot, it's clear he's gotten himself into more than even he bargained for, and it's something that threatens to tear himself and his team's promising season apart.

Omar, Can I borrow that when you're done? I make it a point to read every book recommended by Giants (and Tecmo Bowl) legend Phil McConkey: "Buckle up your chin strap and get ready to be smashed in the mouth—this is an explosive novel for anyone who thinks pro football is all about money, celebrities and fame."
This may be the year I will disappear.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #488 on: September 03, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
The team's star linebacker has always lived on the edge and enjoyed the nightlife more than he should. But when he's found beaten nearly to death in the stadium parking lot, it's clear he's gotten himself into more than even he bargained for, and it's something that threatens to tear himself and his team's promising season apart.

Omar, Can I borrow that when you're done? I make it a point to read every book recommended by Giants (and Tecmo Bowl) legend Phil McConkey: "Buckle up your chin strap and get ready to be smashed in the mouth—this is an explosive novel for anyone who thinks pro football is all about money, celebrities and fame."

Yes, but PLEASE return it.  My copy is autographed by Kumar Pallana, original Bang Tango bassist Kyle Kyle, and Ron Kuby.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

<<<<<

« Reply #489 on: September 26, 2008, 03:38:27 AM »
Just getting into Cormac McCarthy now. He's an author I've pretty much ignored, with the exception of The Road, and I'm glad I stopped ignoring his other novels. I just finished No Country for Old Men (a quick and satisfying read) and am now reading All The Pretty Horses.

I'm reading The Road right now.  I'm enjoying it, but it's definitely one of the bleakest books I've ever read.  And that's saying something, coming from a guy who likes existential fiction.  It's like Camus without the intellectual grandstanding or Kafka without the underlying sense of humor.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #490 on: September 26, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »
Just finished the best book I've read in years:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/aug/28/adventure

A music journalist reporting on the ground from places like Gaza, Basra, Tripoli, Kabul, Northern Ireland, Kosovo, etc

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #491 on: September 26, 2008, 10:43:06 AM »
i just read 'q&a', upon which the upcoming danny boyle flick was based. it was great.

about to start 'i was told there'd be cake', and i was told there'd be laughs.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #492 on: October 05, 2008, 09:40:09 PM »
I'm reading The Gift by Lewis Hyde, which is a little on the dry side, but by and large it's a really beautiful, life-changing book. 
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #493 on: October 06, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
i just finished:

SHOTS IN THE DARK

THE ROCK BIBLE

and currently reading:

IT CAME FROM MEMPHIS

Pat K

« Reply #494 on: October 06, 2008, 01:30:46 PM »
i just finished:

SHOTS IN THE DARK

That looks pretty great. I think that cover photo might also be in Luc Sante's Evidence, which holds a permanent place on my coffee table (...OF HORRORS!).

I just started re-reading Heart of Darkness last night for a bit of a quickie palette-cleanser. I'm pleasantly surprised to find out that it's actually as good as I remember it being when I last read it as a moody high school student.

Thinking of tackling Jonathan Lethem's The Fortress of Solitude after that, even though I didn't much care for the only other book I've read by him,  Amnesia Moon. Does anybody know if this one is as good as it's supposed to be?
I'm warning you with peace and love.