Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947129 times)

evan (giggles)

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2007, 04:14:12 AM »
I'm reading a few books at the moment, including Crowley's "Diary Of A Drug Fiend" and Faulkner's "Absalom Absalom!" (which is taking some time, what with the having to re-read sentence that go on, and on, and on, without relent, for entire paragraphs, some of them even pages, just like this sentence).

I studied Russian Literature so my favorites in that genre include: "The Master and Margarita", "The Steel Bird And Other Stories", "Dead Souls", "The Idiot", "Pale Fire", and "Envy". Other than that, I like Raymond Carver's short stories (the "Where I'm Calling From" collection) ... Louis-Ferdinand Celine "Journey To The End Of Night" ... Tim O'Brien "The Things They Carried" ... Leonard Cohen "Beautiful Losers" ... Don Delillo "Libra" ... DH Lawrence "Sons And Lovers" ...

More I'm forgetting.

bruce

« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2007, 07:23:17 AM »
In the process of reading Rum Punch - Elmore Leonard. Just finished Killtown - Richard Stark and Little Boy Blue - Edward Bunker

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »
Wow this is great.

I ordered a bunch of the books listed here from my library.

I like lots of Canadian authors like Robertson Davies, Margret Lawrence, Alice Munroe, Michael Ondaatje and others. 

My favorite author is probably John Steinbeck but I feel like saying that in this discussion is akin to saying my favorite band is the Beatles.

Anyways, thanks for all the reading suggestions.

Jeremy
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2007, 12:26:54 AM »
I forgot to answer Omar's Tim O'Brien question from another thread. 
My favorite O'Brien books are The Things They Carried, Going after Cacciato, and July,July.

While I'm here, I recently re-read Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. Fascinating. Have you read it yet, Emily? (You mentioned you had it on deck.)

hi Dorvid,

thanks for asking.

As of now I've only read page one. I have it for a month though, so i plan to get through it.

I actually just read (in this weeks NYer) a short piece by Miranda July and i have to say it is one of the most "fresh" things i have read in a while. unfortunately its not available online. (but if you dont subscribe to the nyer, your local library may ;-)

the story is called "Roy Spivey" and it is quite funny.
check it out.

bobby.

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2007, 08:48:45 PM »
I've just started reading Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut, but What Is The What by Dave Eggers just came out here so I must get that soon. Also waiting on my copy of John Collier short stories to arrivé.

{eh hem.. Harry Potter: The Showdown is next month too!}
BEST SHOW: EXERCISE AND EATING WELL

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
Just finished that "Love Creeps" book.  It was pretty good, apparently its going to be made into a movie.  I could imagine that, its pretty short on dialog long on stalking.

I am now reading "The Devil in the White City" and that is pretty amazing so far.

Thanks for the book tips, keep 'em coming.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

Laurie

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2007, 02:35:48 PM »
I loved the ferris wheel interlude in Devil in the White City.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »
Erik Larson has a relatively new book, "Thunderstruck" also highly recommended by my book loving peers.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2007, 09:05:17 AM »
I thought Brian Johnson penned "Thunderstruck."

Ah ah ah ah ah ahahah.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

octopus volcano

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2007, 11:16:55 AM »
I started reading Rutger Hauer's autobiography "All Those Memories" yesterday.  The title is in the blade runner font. He seems like a cool guy- he built an apartment (complete with plumbing) into an 18-wheeler so he and his wife could drive around Europe to whatever shoots he was on, still staying cozy.
I've been rereading  "Alan Partridge: Every Ruddy Word: All the Scripts: from Radio to TV and Back" while commuting to work on the bus and it still makes me laugh out loud.
I've been meaning to reread "Confessions of Zeno" by Italo Svevo, I think it's in my top ten.  Along with "Fat City" by Leonard Gardner.

Tim K in DC

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2007, 12:08:25 PM »
I just got my hands on Hollywood Babylon and Hollywood Babylon II at a yard sale. I've also been reading sections of Thom Jones's short fiction collection Sonny Liston Was A Friend Of Mine. Some of it drags, but it's not bad.
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2007, 12:12:35 PM »
I just got my hands on Hollywood Babylon and Hollywood Babylon II at a yard sale. I've also been reading sections of Thom Jones's short fiction collection Sonny Liston Was A Friend Of Mine. Some of it drags, but it's not bad.

I'm a big fan of Thom Jones's Cold Snap collection.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2007, 02:03:35 PM »
"No One Belongs Here More Than You : Stories" by Miranda July is my new favorite book.

I love it so much because it is funny and also because her story telling is so unique.

Just check it out!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2007, 02:46:24 PM »

I'm a big fan of Thom Jones's Cold Snap collection.

Cold Snap left me cold. Denis Johnson's Jesus' Son is more up my alley.

Also, I've really been enjoying P. G. Wodehouse. I can recommend Right Ho, Jeeves and Code of the Woosters (in that order, one follows the other).
See God, Kai