Author Topic: Best Show Meet-up to Benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society  (Read 3127 times)

pbost

• Plantar Fasciitis
Best Show Meet-up to Benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
« on: February 09, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »
Fellow fans, my name is Paul (twitter.com/soapythedog).  I'm a big Best Show fan; have been since early 2006.  I've actually made my contribution to show, albeit infamously (I was nominated for worst call in, I think, 2007).

I've accepted a challenge to conduct some time-intensive fundraising for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  The challenge runs from early March to mid-May, and is actually a competition to determine who can raise the most money in that limited amount of time.  I have little interest in winning the competition.  However, I feel a sense of responsibility to make good on my commitment to the cause and to the brave people I know dealing with blood cancer and its related perils, and want to do everything in my power to help out.

I'm hoping that I can find a way to combine my love for the Best Show with this important project.  Ideas that immediately come to mind are a listening party, either at a bar or at someone's home, where there's some sort of required donation and a Best Show-related silent auction.  Maybe a screening of Tom's take on Mr. Brooks.  I don't know.  If you are so inclined, let me know, in this thread, some other fundraising ideas you might have.  In the off chance you are interested in getting involved, please let me know, as well.

Thanks very much for your consideration.  Stay tuned to this space for details on ways you can help out.

pbost

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Best Show Meet-up to Benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
I failed to mention that I live in Santa Monica, so this would be a Los Angeles-based event.  Cheers.

pbost

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
Thanks all for reading this.  Again, stay tuned to this space for updates and message me or respond in this thread if you want to help out or have any ideas.  Hope to see some FOTs at the Ted Leo show on Feb. 20.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:48:57 PM »
I have alot of friends in the LA music scene.

I could look into trying to set up a benefit show in that time frame. I know some places we could probably use for free as a venue and and get some bands to play.

I can't guarantee you would make a ton of money but it could raise some awareness for other fundraising things.

I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

pbost

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 02:44:31 PM »
Thanks, Colin.  I actually had a similar idea.  Maybe we can collaborate on that project.  I do, also, hope that I can do something Best Show specific.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:28 PM »
Thanks, Colin.  I actually had a similar idea.  Maybe we can collaborate on that project.  I do, also, hope that I can do something Best Show specific.

cool. let me know.

and of course i'll take part in any fot event.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

pbost

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 02:39:50 AM »
For those interested, I'm DJing at the Mandrake in Culver City tomorrow night - 9pm to midnight (it's a monthly gig).  While I still hope to have a FOT event and, actually, an official event at the Mandrake, all donations made tomorrow night at the Mandrake or online (http://los.mwoy.llsevent.org/pbost) between 9pm-midnight will be matched dollar-for-dollar.

I'll keep you posted on future opportunities.  Thanks.

pbost

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:24:33 AM »
Further to the above, on April 28, I'm throwing a party/fundraiser at the Mandrake in Culver City on April 28.  The soiree starts at 8:30 p.m. and goes late.  A $25 donation gets you drink specials and entry into the "opportunity drawing" (for legal reasons we can't say raffle) with prizes generously donated by Matador Records, In the Red Records, Mexican Summer, Stones Throw Records, and Dylan Fareed (and others - we're still getting stuff together).   Further opportunity drawing tickets can be purchased for $5.  Come on out!!

Speaking or prizes, I don't want to hit up Kid Jersey for swag as I know he deals with a lot of requests, but any Scharpling & Wurster stuff I could give away would be great and hopefully convince some fans to make the trip.  If anyone has any connections to score a potential raffle prize, please let me know via private message or otherwise.

Thanks, all.

pbost

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Just received an incredibly generous donation of LPs and CDs and merch from In the Red Records featuring lots of artists played on the Best Show, including the Dirtbombs, Strange Boys, Thee Oh Sees (including a copy of the yet to be released Castlemania record), Reigning Sound, etc . . .  All of this stuff will be given away at the fundraiser.

pbost

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 06:19:06 PM »
Just got word that David Metcalf of Bodies of Water/Music Go Music and Matt Kivel of Princeton will be DJing.

Also, got some great stuff from Matador, including a copy of Smoke Ring for Halo signed by Kurt Vile.