Author Topic: Who is the comedy-hack Tom's been bashing on Twitter?!?! - Official Guess Thread  (Read 30130 times)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Tom said that the guy he hates has been associated with tons of great projects. Aukerman has really only done Mr. Show, Between Two Ferns and Sarah Silverman Program. Plus, I really doubt TS would go on his Comedy Death Ray podcast just a few days before or after publicly calling him a hack.

So, I feel comfortable saying it's not him.

I've listened to Comedy Death Ray Radio since it debuted, and although he can be a forehead-slapworthy pun machine, he's great at getting guests, and his show's games are usually entertaining. The first Bob Odenkirk edition of "Would You Rather" had me crying.

Last week's episode with Jon Hamm actually annoyed me by not taking the game seriously enough. Which is weird for a comedy podcast, but it's the one game they play that I actually enjoy as a game in it's own right.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
Had lunch with her. Nice enough, not at all funny.

Did she bring wrestler guests to the Opry cafeteria as well? Wasn't she an upper class type in real life (went to college, played tennis, etc)?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Had lunch with her. Nice enough, not at all funny.

Did she bring wrestler guests to the Opry cafeteria as well? Wasn't she an upper class type in real life (went to college, played tennis, etc)?

I'm bored, so let's wiki that!

Sarah Colley [Minnie Pearl] was born in Centerville, in Hickman County, Tennessee, about 50 miles (80 km) southwest of Nashville. She was the youngest of the five daughters of a prosperous lumberman in Centerville. She graduated from Ward-Belmont College (now Belmont University), at the time Nashville's most prestigious school for young ladies, where her major was theater studies and dance was a particular interest. After graduation she taught dance for several years.

Oops, check this out:

Pearl's comic material derived heavily from her hometown of Centerville, which in her act she called Grinder's Switch. Grinder's Switch is a community just outside of Centerville that consisted of little more than a railroad switch. Those who knew her recognized that the characters were largely based on real residents of Centerville.

Without Minnie Pearl, no Garrison Keebler!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
It can also be argued that her infallibly laff-getting signature phrase, "How-DEEEEEE!" was a big influence on Bobby "HOWAHHH-YA?" Bittman.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Aukerman is good and original. CDR both live and podcast is just eff off space that people develop stuff, characters and improv experience. The exchanges Scott has with Brett Gelman, Andy Daly, Harris Wittels, and Seth Morris is top-shelf funny.

Fairly certain Hot Saucerman is appreciated by most everyone in "the biz", and as much as Tom has talked down the comedy procedural podcast I doubt he would take umbrage with something going for the actual funny like CDR.

OK, that makes sense. It's garbage time he doesn't take seriously. I think I got it now.

Lemon Session

• Plantar Fasciitis
My guess? Bruce Vilanch

VealCutlet

• Policemans heel
Perhaps I missed the context, or didn't pick up on a the true intention of the comment, but I think that Tom recently made a less-than-complimentary allusion to Jay Mohr on the show? Not a legend by any means, but meets some of the other criteria. He's been involved in a slew of great projects...Jerry McGuire... Suicide Kings...The Jim Rome Show...
That's just the tip of the ice cube.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Perhaps I missed the context, or didn't pick up on a the true intention of the comment, but I think that Tom recently made a less-than-complimentary allusion to Jay Mohr on the show? Not a legend by any means, but meets some of the other criteria. He's been involved in a slew of great projects...Jerry McGuire... Suicide Kings...The Jim Rome Show...

The Jim Rome Show is a "great project"?

This has been going on for so long now, I can't remember...anybody mentioned Silent Bob yet?

Lemon Session

• Plantar Fasciitis
I took a second to look at other writers on Monk and found David M. Stern on the list (Simpsons, Ugly Americans...) Tom?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Come on, let's not get the guy in trouble with show business.

I figured it out, anyway.

Guy Whitey Corngood

• Plantar Fasciitis
You cracked the code? How about sending a message.

Because I already know who it is so I just want to confirm you had the same guy.

;)
Wait Whaaaaaaa[Phone Buttons being pressed]aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt?!

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis
IMDB says he barely writes at all, otherwise my guess after last week's show: