Author Topic: The Protégé  (Read 11572 times)

davidgoeschatting

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Protégé
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »
GLN Titantron Intro

This is a video my friend Dom (and fan of The Best Show) made to support my candidacy. I had no idea he was doing this! It features my performance as The Ultimate Warrior (reciting bits from The Rush Limbaugh Show), general stand-up comedy,  my Jaykob Strange extreme street magician character and clips of when I was on "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego" in 8th grade. All interspersed with late-90s WCW wrestling clips!

I like you, Gregg, but it was uncool how much that wasn't Ultimate Warrior. I don't even know what that was.
It's the latest thing to be nowhere. You can turn into the wallpaper.

Alex_from_the_woods

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2011, 03:49:51 PM »
I bet Geneva would have done that, if she lived 1.5 hours from the Pine Barrens.  And had a comedy show to host.

Me too. I also bet she wouldn't tell everyone about it in a rather sad attempt to pander to gullible voters.

There are no voters.

Really? I guess you should brush up on you're protege selection rules. I'm sure Geneva knows them backwards and forwards.
Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Exsanguination?

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »
Gregg, did that video also have footage of marching troops and war crimes?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
I stopped watching when it got to the dancing chicken from Eraserhead.

JBE CEO

• Policemans heel
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
You people have listened to the show before, right? You're not running an election. You're trying to convince Tom to give you the spot.  This is Tom Scharpling, the popular vote is likely to hinder rather than help you. He does what he wants, when he wants, who he wants.

That being said you seem to be having fun with it so in my best Spike voice "carry on."
Friend of Jon

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »
Leonard from California did have a good point about getting multiple protégés for Tom, Inc.

Greggulator

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »
You people have listened to the show before, right? You're not running an election. You're trying to convince Tom to give you the spot.  This is Tom Scharpling, the popular vote is likely to hinder rather than help you. He does what he wants, when he wants, who he wants.

That being said you seem to be having fun with it so in my best Spike voice "carry on."

The campaigning part on my end is just for fun. It's also not going very well since the Geneva Convention is trouncing the Greggulation Nation.

I like the idea of multiple proteges for Tom. I really like Geneva and Max a lot. We've had some great Twitter conversations. I think we all bring strengths to the table and balance each other out.

I know I'm the "'polarizing" candidate which I take to mean that a lot of folks don't like me. But I'm also doing a lot of work for this, and it's more than just going to the Titus taping (which talking about in the way I did was obnoxious, but I still did go to the Titus taping when I had a lot on my plate). I'm listening to old Best Show episodes and Gems as much as humanly possible, but this time I'm trying to break down why different bits/phone calls/moments work and trying to guess as to how Tom/Wurster put things together. And then I'm trying to use what I'm learning and applying it to my basketball podcast and the comedy stuff I do in Philly.

Case in point: I love Tom's Amtrak cross-country trip. I think it works because it's a really great travelogue that's centered around the awkwardness of being forced to talk to people on a train ride. There's a great level of detail in Tom's story, but it's tightly said. I'm trying to focus when I tell personal stuff on the podcast to bring really specific details to stories but doing so in a tighter and more concise manner.

I apologize ahead if any of you think talking this up is pandering but I'm doing the work, which was the main crux of Tom's advice he doled out a few weeks ago.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »
Trouncing is an awesome word that I'm using for my campaign (thanks for reading that on twitter Gregg!) but I don't think the Convention is trouncing the Greggulation nation by any means at this point. Plus I know NOTHING about basketball, although I have had some nice folks volunteer to tutor me on the history/player basics if it's needed, heh. I don't necessarily think Tom is looking for his double though.

I'd be down for Leonard's idea of Team Scharpling. I think we all have our strengths and weaknesses. We'd be satellite Scharplings!

That all being said, I don't think people like that we proteges get along pretty well, considering this is a race. From what I have heard/read, the public wants more snark and cattiness! Oh the internet...

"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »
Hey Omar, I am listening to the first H-man call on the April 12, 2005 archive. Arrested Development talk. Tom apparently hadn't heard about it. ;)
Just thought you might want to log it for a possible protege showdown or something.

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2011, 11:13:34 PM »
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

Greggulator

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Pidgeon

« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
You don't look as Eddie Deezen-y as I had imagined.

Charles Arrington

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2011, 10:34:15 AM »
even though this was disbanded, i hope the 2012 presidential election rekindles the race.

Sarah

« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »
God, I don't.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »
The presidential election is going to be hard enough to take as it is. That thing will last longer than the NBA finals.