Author Topic: How Does This Make You Feel?  (Read 9820 times)

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
How Does This Make You Feel?
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
I know Jim Carrey is a polarizing guy-- some like him, some don't.  And I don't want to hate an actor for doing a family-friendly film.  Carrey is more than entitled to make whatever decisions he wants, for whatever reasons he wants.

That being said... is this the most soul-crushing poster you've ever seen?   Can you see the barely contained self-loathing beneath the penguins, as I can?

I can't shake this poster from my head.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: How Does This Make You Feel?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »
I feel this movie is abusive towards penguins, even if they're CGI penguins.

Stop abusing CGI penguins.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »
His face makes me think that he hates himself, but he also will not think twice about throwing flaming hundred dollar bills at anyone who asks him if he feels that he regrets any of the artistic decisions he's made in his life.
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

Sarah

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:17:36 PM »
And here I thought he was acting.

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »
Look, the guy's got a pretty flawless track record of work, can't we give him the benefit of the doubt for goodness sake?
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
Finally, movie talk!

I will stand up for him. While he's done his fair share of stinkers, me and my patented (it's not really patented) film-actor's achievement assessment system places him at 91.3 on a scale from 0 to 100. He's not my favorite, but he is the centerpiece of two of my favorite movies, The Truman Show, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. If you compare him to somebody like Adam Sandler, who is in a similar position of power in Hollywood, and has managed exactly one good film, I like Carrey's record, and the selected filmography of what I think of as his ten best has some doozys on it. While he's no Steve Martin, another guy whose dreck is the lowest of the low, this is not a bad list;

1994 Dumb and Dumber, The Mask, Ace Ventura Pet Detective
1996 The Cable Guy
1997 Liar Liar
1998 The Truman Show
1999 Man on the Moon
2004 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
2005 Fun with Dick and Jane

One of the things I post on my blog when I do these little actor blurbs is their "neighborhood"; a group of actors whose level of career achievement is closest to the named actor. Carrey's neighborhood is Gabriel Byrne, Jackie Chan, Colin Firth, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, and Edward Norton. Pretty good company. I put his artistic peak in 1996 - 2004

I don't want to see this Penguin thing though. Just like I pray I never see Cheaper By the Dozen 5. The Spanisher Prisoner might be OK though.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »
I am a fan.  Plus a friend of mine interviewed him and said that Jim was the nicest guy he ever interviewed (Burt Reynolds and Tom Hanks were the most unpleasant).
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:34:39 AM »
Jim Carrey lost me when he started believing and promoting the crap from Jenny McCarthy about how she "cured" autism and the connection between autism and vaccines.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 01:22:44 PM »
I know just EVERYONE is dying to flock to my blog now to see my further takes on reducing art to numbers, no? NO?

gaughin.edublogs.org

Just in case.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »
If you compare him to somebody like Adam Sandler, who is in a similar position of power in Hollywood, and has managed exactly one good film...

Of course, until he makes a sequel to You Don't Mess With The Zohan.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
Wait, rewind for a minute there: Adam Sandler made a good movie?

Also, disappointed to hear that about Tom Hanks.  Was your friend sure he wasn't just having a bad day?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
Wait, rewind for a minute there: Adam Sandler made a good movie?

Punch-Drunk Love!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
That's the one

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 11:51:23 PM »
I accidentally watched one Will Smith movie after not watching anything of his for years.  I'll not fall for losing my zero-for-Adam-Sandlerhood.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »
I accidentally watched one Will Smith movie after not watching anything of his for years.  I'll not fall for losing my zero-for-Adam-Sandlerhood.

Well it's more a PT Anderson movie than a Sandler movie. Plus Luis Guzman! And Emily Watson's big blue eyes!