Author Topic: How Does This Make You Feel?  (Read 9819 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: How Does This Make You Feel?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 06:54:42 AM »
Aren't The Wedding Singer and Funny People supposed to be OK? Never saw 'em. Diidn't hate 'em. (As opposed to the rest of his ouevre excluding PDL: Never saw 'em. Hated 'em.)
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »
Was your friend sure he wasn't just having a bad day?

That is certainly possible, although he never really elaborated.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »
Aren't The Wedding Singer and Funny People supposed to be OK? Never saw 'em. Diidn't hate 'em. (As opposed to the rest of his ouevre excluding PDL: Never saw 'em. Hated 'em.)

Wedding Singer was cute enough.   I'd give it a 11.1/14.2.

And Funny People had some promise, and delivered with a few nice sequences... but then dragged on a bit too long.  More like a  6.4/9.7 for that one.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
Sandler was great in Shakes, The Clown
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
I've seen of ton of the earlier ones & most of them are totally forgettable now - however I laughed like a total moron at Happy Madison and Little Nicky.

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »
Do you have any idea how hard I am fighting myself not to share the Sandler assessment?

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
I like Sandler as an actor (PDL, Funny People) but anything Happy Madison produces is awful. I liked Billy Madison a lot and Happy Gilmore. It is important point out that the bulk of Sandlers is known for came out before I had really developed my interest in good comedy, so I saw and enjoyed The Wedding Singer, Little Nicky, Mr Deeds and The Waterboy. I know it isn't Sandler but I think the first time I realized mainstream comedy wasn't for me was when I snuck into Old School in highschool. I felt so cheated. All that work for nothing.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 06:02:21 PM »

Made me think of that squid-picture that Hokusai drew.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
I like Sandler as an actor (PDL, Funny People) but anything Happy Madison produces is awful.

Um, Grandma's Boy?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
Do you have any idea how hard I am fighting myself not to share the Sandler assessment?

Go for it, Dave.  (He stinks, right?)

I have no blurb yet to fully describe my complicated feelings for him, but here's how the numbers run.

Percentile rating: 83.66

Ten best roles: 1) Punch Drunk Love 2) Funny People 3) 50 First Dates 4) Just Go With It 5) You Don't Mess With the Zohan 6) Bedtime Stories 7) Spanglish 8) The Wedding Singer 9) Click 10) The Longest Yard

Peak Period: 1998 - 2005

Neighborhood: Stephen Chow, Ray Liotta, Bulle Ogier, Jason Patric, Mickey Rourke, Tom Skeritt

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »

I have no blurb yet to fully describe my complicated feelings for him, but here's how the numbers run.

Ten best roles: 1) Punch Drunk Love 2) Funny People 3) 50 First Dates 4) Just Go With It 5) You Don't Mess With the Zohan 6) Bedtime Stories 7) Spanglish 8) The Wedding Singer 9) Click 10) The Longest Yard

Neighborhood: Stephen Chow, Ray Liotta, Bulle Ogier, Jason Patric, Mickey Rourke, Tom Skeritt

Wait. Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore aren't on the list?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »

Wait. Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore aren't on the list?

Not on my list. You can put them on yours if you like.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:43 AM »
8)

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »
Dave, have you seen all the movies you list as top ten on your blog? If so, you must watch A LOT of movies.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 12:42:58 PM »
Dave, have you seen all the movies you list as top ten on your blog? If so, you must watch A LOT of movies.

I use a number of book and online resources to get a film's rating on a scale from 0 to 10, unless I have seen it, in which case I base the rating on my personal opinion. I use a combination of the sources to take an educated guess at the person's prominence in the film; they tend to be in pretty close agreement.

The last time I tried to check, about 3 years back, I estimated that I had seen approximately 8000 films. Someday I will make a list. Of course.