Author Topic: "I'm not a racist, but..."  (Read 5901 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
"I'm not a racist, but..."
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
Tom has mentioned this delightful phrase on the show several times.  You know when someone opens their face and utters these words, something bad is coming.  Below is a link to a horrifying collection of real examples.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/im-not-racist-but

Another phrase that kills me is "I know it's not politically correct, but..." because it refers to a such a strawman; no one has used the phrase "political correctness" since the early 90's except for the people claiming to rebel against it!
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
Re: "I'm not a racist, but..."
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »
Another phrase that always telegraphs that the absolute opposite will follow is: "I'll be honest with you: ..." I hear this a lot from the executive class.

Also, totally with you RE the use of "politically correct"... it's a really good indicator that the speaker has no clue what's happening in the world today.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:30:25 PM »
Another phrase that kills me is "I know it's not politically correct, but..." because it refers to a such a strawman; no one has used the phrase "political correctness" since the early 90's except for the people claiming to rebel against it!

BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO

That phrase has set my fucking teeth on edge for over twenty years. I still get a barely constrainable urge to hit somebody when I hear or read it.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
#1 bad phrase:

"I shouldn't say this, but..."

Once you've said that, you need to stop right there.  Better to have them guess what awful shit you were going to say than to actually say it.

My former boss was big with this one.  Next thing out of his mouth was ALWAYS brutally inappropriate, including, "... we really hit the client's G-spot with this one."

A little part of me never came back after that.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
My eldest sister and I used the term "politically correct" as a joke in the late eighties/early, early nineties to describe positions of which we approved.  We were both very annoyed when everyone started to use it in its now-accepted sense.

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »

BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO BINGO

That phrase has set my fucking teeth on edge for over twenty years. I still get a barely constrainable urge to hit somebody when I hear or read it.

Its one of those phrases that republicans LOVE to throw around

"political correctness is killing this country!!1!!1"

Really?

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
I can always tell when certain people are about to say something racist or otherwise loathsome in public because they pause in middle of speaking and do a quick survey of the room before continuing on to said racist/loathsome thing. I hate that.

Related to this is the people who drop the volume on certain words to near-silent:
"You know who's fault that it is, right? It's all those Mexicans that live over there."

"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »
Down here it's a little different, it goes like this; "Don't get me wrong, I DO hate Yankees, but...".

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »
My eldest sister and I used the term "politically correct" as a joke in the late eighties/early, early nineties to describe positions of which we approved.  We were both very annoyed when everyone started to use it in its now-accepted sense.

I remember very specifically that it began being used in its current sense during the first Bush's presidency.  I remember this because: 1) G. H. W. Bush made a joke about it and I remember thinking "huh, it's made it all the way up to the damn President," and 2) I had a theory that it was linked to the collapse of the Soviet Union-- I used to call it "Red-baiting Lite for the post-Cold-War era."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »
When I answer the phone to hear a friend say "I meant to call (insert another friend's name)", because I really need to know that you'd rather be speaking to that friend than me at this moment in time when YOU dialed my number on your phone. Please just spare me, and make something up like "Oh hi, How are you?" Would that much on the spot thinking hurt your brain?

Sarah

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 11:21:42 PM »
But don't you think that happens because the caller is rattled?  It's really startling to hear a familiar voice that's not the familiar voice you were expecting when you dialed the phone.  At times like that, it's easy to be clumsy.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:29:37 AM »
Another phrase that often latches on to stupidity is "I'm just saying."  Those might be the three emptiest words in the English language.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
listen, I'm about to say something really f'ing offensive
gird ur loins

Sarah

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
There is nothing more offensive than fastening or securing clothing with a belt or band.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »
Not for nothing, but that's the sort of thing someone would probably say if they were being honest.