Author Topic: FOT SUMMER READING CHALLENGE  (Read 10199 times)

Lothar_Brightblade

Re: FOT SUMMER READING CHALLENGE
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
Yay!
I finished "Bossypants".  I finished "A Storm of Swords."  Starting "A Feast for Crows" today!
I saw Mr. Vonnegut once at Studio 54 a long long time ago.  He is on my list of famous people I have brushed shoulders with, and regret not having spoken to, who have since passed away.

My friend was visiting people that lived across the hall from, or next to, his apartment and he called the cops on them because they were being too loud.  My friend says he was standing outside his door, smoking, and pointing a finger directly at him.

davidgoeschatting

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
Yay!
I finished "Bossypants".  I finished "A Storm of Swords."  Starting "A Feast for Crows" today!

What did you think of Bossypants? I was a little bummed out by it. Maybe because I had finished Patton Oswalt's and Sarah Silverman's books right before. It just didn't measure up, and seemed like she teased some of the more interesting aspects of her career.
It's the latest thing to be nowhere. You can turn into the wallpaper.

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »
I enjoyed "Bossypants", although it does have a few lulls in it. It is written in more of a laid-back memoir-style (even though it's marketed  as Not a Memoir) as apposed to written to be down right funny, as Patton's book.  The story of her facial slashing was riveting, and her lifelong straight ally association with glbt's of theater was notable and timely (given Tracy Morgan's recent slip up).  In the introduction it is clear that the book aims for family appeal, as a book for moms and daughters to share as a female in a man's world success story, so I wasn't disappointed.  The amount of "strong father" influence and "modern working mom" juggler material, for me, was summed up in her response to being called a "cunt" at work, "You can't call me that, I'm not some adult child of alcoholics" (give or take a few words). Priceless!  Everyone (even the adult children of alcoholics) should be able to stand up for themselves!
I also read Dick Cavett's latest book based on his blog spot.  I liked that a lot. He has some interesting opinions of our modern world.
I also read Carol Burnett's book "This time together" which was great.  It is full of old stories of her and her success.  The best part is the so much of the television moments she talks about can be found of youtube, I kept going back and forth between youtube and the book.  You should read that one next!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:17 PM »
I am currently reading 'The Pale King', Julie Klausner's book, 'The New Capitalist Manifesto' (don't judge), 'Check the Technique' and Ulysses.

If I finish all of those (except Ulysses), plus maybe 2 or 3 other books this summer, I'll be OK.

Averaging only a few hours a week of the recreational reading. I've gotten involved in a number of side programming/electronics/etc projects that have been taking up more and more of the non-work time, but when I do settle in for a multi-hour reading session, it feels good.

davidgoeschatting

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I enjoyed "Bossypants", although it does have a few lulls in it. It is written in more of a laid-back memoir-style (even though it's marketed  as Not a Memoir) as apposed to written to be down right funny, as Patton's book.  The story of her facial slashing was riveting, and her lifelong straight ally association with glbt's of theater was notable and timely (given Tracy Morgan's recent slip up).  In the introduction it is clear that the book aims for family appeal, as a book for moms and daughters to share as a female in a man's world success story, so I wasn't disappointed.  The amount of "strong father" influence and "modern working mom" juggler material, for me, was summed up in her response to being called a "cunt" at work, "You can't call me that, I'm not some adult child of alcoholics" (give or take a few words). Priceless!  Everyone (even the adult children of alcoholics) should be able to stand up for themselves!
I also read Dick Cavett's latest book based on his blog spot.  I liked that a lot. He has some interesting opinions of our modern world.
I also read Carol Burnett's book "This time together" which was great.  It is full of old stories of her and her success.  The best part is the so much of the television moments she talks about can be found of youtube, I kept going back and forth between youtube and the book.  You should read that one next!

You make some good points. I saw her do an interview with Steve Martin in L.A. promoting the book, and it made me really want to read it, so I did. I had just read Martin's Born Standing Up the year before, so maybe I expected too much. I have a big stack of stuff that is waiting to be read, but I will keep the Burnett book in mind.

As for my own goals this summer, book 1 is in the bag, and it's not really too big an achievement. Charna Halpern's Art by Committee. Since I started in improv, I've alternated reading both this and Truth in Comedy, both by Halpern. I've read both 3 or 4 times now. Good stuff. I know at least a handful of FOT are doing some comedy-based endeavor, and I highly recommend this to those who are (especially improv). And read them again. Layers unfold as you do more in your classes and on stage.
It's the latest thing to be nowhere. You can turn into the wallpaper.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 10:21:55 AM »
I'm a terrible reader of books these days. Other kinds of texts, yes. But books almost always get kicked down the ladder of priorities. I do have a couple of weeks of vacation this summer, and I hope to read/finish at least two books then: Pynchon's "Inherent Vice", because I heard PTA is adapting it when he's finished with the film he's making now, and "Two Serious Ladies" by Jane Bowles - recommended by John Waters.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
I'm a terrible reader of books these days. Other kinds of texts, yes.

Like, palimpsests?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »
Papyrus scrolls mainly.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I am reading "In the Garden of the Beasts" by Eric Larson, "Life" by Keith Richards and "Just Kids" by Patti Smith.

I need some fiction in the mix, but those are the ones I have received as gifts in recent times.

The Eric Larson book is intense.  Its about the American ambassador to Germany in 1933.  He wrote "The Devil in the White City" which was also a good read.

Nerds unite.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 02:44:14 PM »
I get about an hour a day in usually, mostly just on the train to and from work.

I just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro which I really enjoyed. Up next I have some scifi called Lightborn by Tricia Sullivan. And I recently read King Dork by Frank Portman (Dr Frank from MTX) which was some fun nonsense.

And to whoever it was that had Dune on their list, huzzah! Comeback to me when you've read it. I love that series. I'm never sure how Tom feels about it. He makes gentle fun of it at times.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
And to whoever it was that had Dune on their list, huzzah! Comeback to me when you've read it. I love that series. I'm never sure how Tom feels about it. He makes gentle fun of it at times.

I say:

9, 5, 3, 8, 0 repeating
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
I get about an hour a day in usually, mostly just on the train to and from work.

I just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro which I really enjoyed. Up next I have some scifi called Lightborn by Tricia Sullivan. And I recently read King Dork by Frank Portman (Dr Frank from MTX) which was some fun nonsense.

I already finished Dune and loved it. It was a nice change of pace from some of the other books I had read. I remember Tom and (I think) Ted and Mac making fun of it on one episode a maybe year or so ago. H Jon Hodgman knew the terminology (Shai Halud), but said he hadn't read the books. To that I say: Come on Jon, what are you trying to hide?

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
I've been wanting to break into the fantasy genre. My first thought was to read Game of Thrones, but then I wondered if maybe my first should be Lord of the Rings. Either way, I need something a little more upbeat than the non-fiction stuff I've been reading.

JustSheaNo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 10:07:08 AM »
I'm at a point when I get home from work I can barely stand to look at a book or computer. I garden or knit instead. With that said, my summer reading list includes includes non-fiction and some business books on quality improvement.

On China - Henry Kissinger
Cod - Mark Kurlansky
Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food - Paul Greenberg
The Secret History of MI6 - Keith Jeffery
The Improvement Guide: A Practical Approach to Improving Organizational Performance - Gerald Langley, et al
and
The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of the Learning Organization - Peter Senge

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »
I just read Pride & Prejudice. First Austen book; I look forward to more.