Author Topic: Sons of Anarchy  (Read 28604 times)

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Sons of Anarchy
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »
This whole business with of Juice (especially the bit with the missing coke) and Tara all of a sudden deciding she's not down with an "old lady" has veered this season safely back into hot mess territory. Which is where it's always been the most comfortable. The ham-fisted appropriation of a song about lynching was the perfect follow up to the acoustic version of "Fortunate Son" as background to the killing of Reyes' son from season 1 (?).

Can't wait for the next episode!

Yeah, you're talking about Katey Sagal's cover of the Billie Holliday song "Strange Fruit"... I thought exactly the same thing...

Honest to god, that show picks the strangest cover songs in the closing montages... Sagal's cover of "Son of a Preacher Man" is up there as well... Just fucking mind bending, man...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

theElizabethanCaller

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 03:54:09 PM »
So I'm driving down the Garden State Parkway the other day and sure enough, a bunch of idiots on motorcycles were wearing replica Sons of Anarchy "cuts" (?) that had "NEW JERSEY" on the bottom instead of "CALIFORNIA".  Nice.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »
Just watched Season One. What a show. Most hilarious are the very, very few shots of Ron Perleman actually riding a motorcycle. He looks utterly terrified and its obvious the bikes are cruising a cool 30 mph to accomodate his fear.

Have the following seasons addressed how totally racist biker gang culture is? Or maybe Sutter will write in the 'acceptance' of a new black member into SOA to show that true brotherhood has no colour barriers.

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »
Well, that was a pretty terrible end to season 4.

It was bad, then good, then really good, then iffy, then terrible.

I actually think I'd take the otherwise excreable season 3 over this. That one ended in incredibly unbelievable, entertaining fashion at least.

If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

Cotton

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
My wife and I have a running bet on who will be playing the girl that Tig ran over's father. I'm saying that they're writing the part for Larry Fishburne, but will probably end up snagging someone from The Wire. My wife is convinced they're gonna get Giancarlo Esposito.

Also kinda bummed that Opie didn't burn down the clubhouse with everyone inside for the finale.

Does it drive anyone else nuts the way Jax walks? It's like the iced coffee prop on Weeds, but a million times more distracting to me.

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »
Re: The Jax "Walk"

I'm actually even more bothered by his monotone yelling scenes, of which each ep has two.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 10:10:03 PM »
Have the following seasons addressed how totally racist biker gang culture is? Or maybe Sutter will write in the 'acceptance' of a new black member into SOA to show that true brotherhood has no colour barriers.

Yes, but it's addressed in as dumb and silly a way as you'd probably expect. Spoilers for a subplot this season: The Sons suddenly start to care that Juice, who has never looked at all white, might have a black father.

It was so, so dumb.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »
Well, that was a pretty terrible end to season 4.

It was bad, then good, then really good, then iffy, then terrible.

I actually think I'd take the otherwise excreable season 3 over this. That one ended in incredibly unbelievable, entertaining fashion at least.

I have the last two recorded and I'll watch them back to back. I accidentally read how this season ends, and it sounds really stupid -- even by SoA standards. But I'll still watch it. Whether I'll watch the next season is a different question.

But when I read the summary of the last episode I got really pissed off...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
The problem with the so-called finale this year is that it's not really an episode of television. It's just this ambling, series of character scenes wherein plots from *other* episodes are tied up. There's no real structure or payoff.  In short, you can totally tell the last two eps used to be one, but were split up to milk advertising money. Nevermind the fact that they simply didn't have enough story to propel a 14th episode this year.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

peterenlucha

• Policemans heel
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »
This has got to be the worst season finale of SoA in terms of entertainment potential versus real entertainment. Oddly enough, it makes last season (which was just a turd until the final episode) look good by comparison.
I'm pickling black licorice, you know.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 09:47:24 AM »
This has got to be the worst season finale of SoA in terms of entertainment potential versus real entertainment. Oddly enough, it makes last season (which was just a turd until the final episode) look good by comparison.

Yeah, I was really anticipating some crazy shit going down and was already wondering how the Sons would do next season since Clay was obviously going to be dead and Jax was going to be a reluctant leader at best. I had figured we'd at least get some sort of great cliffhanger out of the deal, but we got nuthin'.

free plax

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 12:43:26 AM »
My wife and I have a running bet on who will be playing the girl that Tig ran over's father. I'm saying that they're writing the part for Larry Fishburne, but will probably end up snagging someone from The Wire. My wife is convinced they're gonna get Giancarlo Esposito.

Also kinda bummed that Opie didn't burn down the clubhouse with everyone inside for the finale.

Does it drive anyone else nuts the way Jax walks? It's like the iced coffee prop on Weeds, but a million times more distracting to me.

The one friend that I talk SOA with often mock the "Jax Strut."  It's maddening.

Sutter's modus operandi is to hire whatever former Deadwood actor is available but that's not an option since the girl wasn't white or asian.  Esposito is a good guess but I see him reaching back to The Shield days and going Forrest Whitaker.  Last time he went the former Shield route, though,it was an unmitigated disaster.  Casting Lem as a club member made SAMCRO look like bigger wimps. He looked like an undercover ATF agent looking to get his cover blown. I still watch the show but I'm tiring of it.

I had no idea that

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

free plax

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »

I had no idea that

oops. I was saying that I had no idea that Katy Segall was the one singing "Strange Fruit" or any of the other covers.  I have developed a way to, pretty much, tune out the music of SOA. I think it's imperative if you want to enjoy the show because the music is simply horrendous.  That said, I have some strange fascination with the theme song. The line, "The crow flies straight, A perfect line..." sticks in my craw and embeds itself in there until I go to bed.