Author Topic: Stalker  (Read 3157 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Stalker
« on: July 05, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
It took me three sittings to get through this thing. Aside from some interesting cinematography, it did nothing for me. I think I'm done with Tarkovsky.
See God, Kai

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Stalker
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »
His work all blends together in my Year of Film Oblivion. Sadly, for dozens of movies, I can only remember liking them or disliking them. I liked both The Mirror and The Sacrifice alot. Haven't seen Stalker. The Sacrifice is compared alot to Bergman dramas which I remember 'liking' as well. God I need to stop being lazy and watch a lot of movies and be lazy.
I'd say you're safe in moving on to someone else.

I remember seeing a quote that read: "My Favorite Tarkovsky is Interiors." Maybe it was in that book of film nerd jokes.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »
It took me like eight. I partially agree. My experiences of Solaris and Andrei Rublev were pretty much the same (the former features something like ten minutes of highway footage from the inside of a car), but I have to say that I still remember loads of details from all three and I'm glad I watched them.

PDP, isn't the line "my favorite Bergman movie is Interiors?" It would make more sense, I think.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »
It took me three sittings to get through this thing. Aside from some interesting cinematography, it did nothing for me. I think I'm done with Tarkovsky. One and done.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've seen both Stalker and Andrei Rublev and, in both instances, I was left cold and underwhelmed. Like you, I don't feel compelled to explore the Tarkovsky canon any further.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 01:42:18 PM »
PDP, isn't the line "my favorite Bergman movie is Interiors?" It would make more sense, I think.

Yeh you're right. But if you can get my joke then you are a super film nerd.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »

Yeh you're right. But if you can get my joke then you are a super film nerd.

By normal standards, maybe, but not in these parts. Check out the Criterion thread -- it's where i go to get recommendations for filmmakers I've never even heard of.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »
It took me three sittings to get through this thing. Aside from some interesting cinematography, it did nothing for me. I think I'm done with Tarkovsky. One and done.

You saw ANDREI RUBLEV too, didn't you Mike? I seem to recall you having pretty much the same reaction.  I have to say I thought STALKER was great and admire Tarkovsky a lot, even when I don't "get" him (still the case w/ THE MIRROR). His films reward the demands they place on the viewer like few others.  Although I just re-watched SOLARIS and the first 40 minutes are kinda brutally dull (the traffic scenes might actaully be the high point until they get to space).

Anyone down on Tarkovsky might want to check out his early film IVAN'S CHILDHOOD. Not nearly as challenging as most of his work but still very hypnotic and arguably one of his best.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »
You're right, Chris, I did see Andrei Rublev. For some reason, I didn't remember it as a Tarkovsky movie. I will check out Ivan's Childhood. It does sound like his most appealing film.

I hope to goof on Stalker during Therese's show this Sunday when I drop by. I want to get her to go to The Zone where we can talk of only important things.
See God, Kai