Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Still no Pleasure Island...  (Read 8756 times)

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
Brian Wilson: Still no Pleasure Island...
« on: August 20, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
but we are getting Songs in The Key of Disney.  An album of Disney songs.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2011-08-17-brian-wilson-disney_n.htm

Come on, Brian!  Stop marking time with Gershwin and Disney and finish up the Rock Fantasy!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Brian Wilson: Still no Pleasure Island...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »
What was "Pleasure Island" supposed to be? Google doesn't turn up nothin' except there seems to be a mention in the German Wikipedia entry on Brian--not the English. Is it possible that it was a discarded title for the Disney thing, since there's a "Pleasure Island" in Disney's Pinocchio?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »
This thread is the top google result for brian wilson + pleasure island
http://friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php?topic=4509.0

There was also an article about it somewhere online at the time, which is where Tom heard about it.  Brian was understandably vague on the details, but it was about a bunch of guys who go to an island, and there are chicks and fun rides.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:19:18 PM »
Brian was understandably vague on the details, but it was about a bunch of guys who go to an island, and there are chicks and fun rides.

Oh my God. FREE BRIAN!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:50:14 PM »

As of this moment, the FOT board occupies the TOP TWO google hits on this topic.

The third hit is from a Beach Boys fan forum: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=6107.0

"Forget Marie" from that forum provides the Brian quote from the (now deleted?) Rolling Stone article:

Quote from: Forget Marie on: September 07, 2008, 06:17:24 PM
More details in the latest Rolling Stone:

"I'm working on a new album now," he says later, as we get near his house. "It's called Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy. It's about some guys who took a hike, and they found a place called Pleasure Island. And they met all kinds of chicks, and they went on rides and — it's just a concept. I haven't developed it yet. I think people are going to love it — it could be the best thing I've ever done."

The smileysmile thread reprints an (also deleted?) Australian article that says:

While the Stones never went away, The Who continue to tour with half the original members and even the mighty Led Zeppelin got back together for one night only this year, the chances of the remaining Beach Boys appearing on the same stage seem marginally less remote than all four Beatles recording a new album of death metal covers.

... or Lou Reed releasing an album with Metallica!! http://instantrimshot.com/

Also, that Australian article reveals that BRIAN WILSON IS NEIGHBORS WITH PAUL STANLEY.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:01:52 AM »

MontaukProjekt/PE

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:41:10 AM »

As of this moment, the FOT board occupies the TOP TWO google hits on this topic.

The third hit is from a Beach Boys fan forum: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=6107.0

"Forget Marie" from that forum provides the Brian quote from the (now deleted?) Rolling Stone article:

Quote from: Forget Marie on: September 07, 2008, 06:17:24 PM
More details in the latest Rolling Stone:

"I'm working on a new album now," he says later, as we get near his house. "It's called Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy. It's about some guys who took a hike, and they found a place called Pleasure Island. And they met all kinds of chicks, and they went on rides and — it's just a concept. I haven't developed it yet. I think people are going to love it — it could be the best thing I've ever done."

The smileysmile thread reprints an (also deleted?) Australian article that says:

While the Stones never went away, The Who continue to tour with half the original members and even the mighty Led Zeppelin got back together for one night only this year, the chances of the remaining Beach Boys appearing on the same stage seem marginally less remote than all four Beatles recording a new album of death metal covers.

... or Lou Reed releasing an album with Metallica!! http://instantrimshot.com/

Also, that Australian article reveals that BRIAN WILSON IS NEIGHBORS WITH PAUL STANLEY.

This message board used to be called the smile shop, dedicated to the SMiLE album. The guy who ran it is married to Diablo Cody and he taught her insane amounts of trivia about the beach boys.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 01:20:32 AM »
This message board used to be called the smile shop, dedicated to the SMiLE album. The guy who ran it is married to Diablo Cody and he taught her insane amounts of trivia about the beach boys.

Wow, Diablo Cody was a big reference point on the Best Show for a while. Stuff like this really feels like the Best Show universe collapsing in on itself ... in a good way. As awesome as Neil Numberman's Sgt. Pepper Poster was, it feels like there could be several alternative versions of that poster, with completely different collections of people.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »

Wow, Diablo Cody was a big reference point on the Best Show for a while. Stuff like this really feels like the Best Show universe collapsing in on itself ... in a good way. As awesome as Neil Numberman's Sgt. Pepper Poster was, it feels like there could be several alternative versions of that poster, with completely different collections of people.

Have you heard she's the writer on the re-make of The Evil Dead?

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »
And it looks like we can count Pleasure Island out for 2012, too, as this is happening:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beach-boys-confirm-50-show-reunion-tour-20111216

Quoth Brian:
"This anniversary is special to me because I miss the boys," Brian Wilson said in a statement. "It will be a thrill for me to make a new record and be on stage with them again."

I suppose there's always the possibility that the band's getting back together to make Pleasure Island a full-fledged Beach Boys album.  But I wouldn't bank on it (esp. because we may be the only people who are actually waiting for the Rock Fantasy).

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »
The Beach Boys have been touring in different camps ever since the death of Carl Wilson in 1998. They've exchanged numerous lawsuits and nasty comments in the press, but Mike Love says that negativity is all behind them. "All that stuff is long forgotten," he tells Rolling Stone.

I give them three shows before Mike Love physically attacks Brian onstage.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »
Paul Stanley should really mine more of the details of his personal life in his stage banter.  He needs to sharpen things up if he wants to stay #1 into a fifth decade.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2013/10/life_is_a_busy_beach_for_brian.php

<<he's in the studio working on three new records: a traditional pop effort, a mostly instrumental disc with Beck, and a concept album with a "suite" of songs>>

Could the concept album be Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy??

leeharveyosmond

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »
:(