Author Topic: Your Favorite Episode  (Read 14385 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Your Favorite Episode
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »
This has come up over the years, but there are now enough Best Show fans who've listened to substantial portions of the show's history live or on the archives to weigh in.

My favorite show is:

September 6, 2005: Tom Crawls Back To WFMU Completely Defeated, The Sirius Deal A Distant Memory. The Pain In His Voice Will Send Chills Up Your Spine. He Fights To Get The Will To Carry On. Does He Get It? Listen!

The first hour of this show is one of the best, funniest, most audacious pieces of entertainment I have ever heard, bar none.  The pain in Tom's voice feels so real that it's almost impossible, while listening to it, to convince yourself that he DIDN'T just quit to join Little Steven and then come crawling back.  It's pure magic, and if you're a fan who hasn't heard it, you need to listen to the episode before this one - to hear the swagger - and then this episode.

And to then find out, later, that he had no idea that this was where the Sirius arc would end up was the icing on the cake.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
Re: Your Favorite Episode
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
I've been waiting for this particular topic just to sign up to the Friends of Tom board!

My favorite installment: November 3, 2009: JOHN HODGMAN In Studio! PAUL F TOMPKINS In Studio! DAVID REES In Studio! Philly Boy Roy Calls In! Talk Of Rage And Of Tom Doing His Fontasy Basketball Draft From A Kinko's On The Sunset Strip, And Discussion Of How Fat Chris Christie Is.

I will forever love this episode. This was the show that made me "get it." (We're approaching Deadhead levels of Best Show cultdom here, so beware...) I had only discovered The Best Show about a month after this aired; my first episode was the six hour one from 11/24/09...I will admit to being fooled by the first Wurster call - I really did think, at first, that Wurster's superhipster character was a real caller (I didn't know ANYTHING about the show other than that the Night People guys were fans) and the fact that I had heard something that genuinely inspired and surprising and hilarious piqued my curiosity about the Best Show. So I downloaded some previous podcasts of the show to discover what else Tom had to offer.

I should preface this by stating that I had just gone through a terrible, miserable breakup with a serious girlfriend, and I was broke, going to grad school, and working full-time and truly down in the dumps in the last few months of 2009. So there's the context, okay? Anyway, I was driving around Chicago one cold grey November afternoon, utterly depressed, and I decided to give the 11/3/09 show a listen, and within 15 minutes, I literally had to pull over because I was laughing so hard tears (I'm guessing they were cathartic, whatever) were running down my face. I don't think I stopped laughing for the entire duration of the episode. I had to go back and listen to Tom and Paul and John and David riffing on an imaginary mattress salesman-themed "Glengarry Glen Ross" three times ("These are the Glengarry leads...but you don't get them"). This was the first time I heard Philly Boy Roy, too.

So what I'm saying is that for three hours during a long, tough, horrifically cold and emotionally raw time in my life, Tom and the Best Show brought me a dose of unalloyed joy so pure that, in order to chase it down and relive that joy, I became a drooling, fawning fan, fiending for each new installment, eager to trawl the back catalogue for more Newbridge trivia and caller lore, and a wide-eyed proseltyzer for the healing power of The Best Show. I feel like I owe Tom (and Jon...and Mike....you get the idea) a huge debt of gratitude.

The only time I've ever called the show was to wish Tom a happy birthday in 2010. He sang a Cranberries song to me. It was stupendous.

I'm doing a lot better now.

Anyways, so that's my favorite episode...you munch.
LN5OG

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:44:10 AM »
The one with Paul F. Tompkins and Philly Boy Roy in the studio together, when they created Philly Boy Paul F. Tompkins.

Also the Coffin Talk episodes.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
The episodes in the archives that I have listened to the most are the 2nd & 3rd "Best Show on WFMU Best Show Awards." Great clips and Tom's reactions to technical issues are always funny.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
It's gotta be the now-legendary ICP one. It's almost become too popular now, but there are tons of funny things in that ep beyond ICP.  Cake vs. Pie, making fun of the Late Shift, the amazing Darren call. 

Also, this ep bleeds into the next couple, with the Disgruntled Juggalo call and a follow-up Darren call.  In fact, I'd say that as far as recent years go, the entire Summer/Fall 09 run is generally amazing.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
This has come up over the years, but there are now enough Best Show fans who've listened to substantial portions of the show's history live or on the archives to weigh in.

My favorite show is:

September 6, 2005: Tom Crawls Back To WFMU Completely Defeated, The Sirius Deal A Distant Memory. The Pain In His Voice Will Send Chills Up Your Spine. He Fights To Get The Will To Carry On. Does He Get It? Listen!

The thing that makes me laugh every time is that first "GEEEEEET OOOOFFFFFF MMMYYYYY PPPPHHHHHOOOONNNNE".

Not sure I have a favorite show really - it's weird little things all over the archives that make me laugh like an idiot. Like the one where Tom made every caller talk to the Toblerone bars.

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Sarah

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »
Yeah, I don't have a favorite. 

JRN

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 07:47:49 PM »
As I said in the other thread, mine is:

June 15, 2010: The Legendary PAUL F TOMPKINS Is Live In The Studio Along With Puppet WALLY WACKIMAN And Tom's Protegee THE H-MAN! A Call From DAMIAN From F'ed Up. The Musical Pacings Of The West Wing Are Discussed And More! You Can't Miss This One!

I'm a fairly new FOT, and this is the show that got me to transition from just listening to the Gems podcast to downloading full episodes and listening live. Aside from a brief slow start, it's hilarious end to end. Milo's call about D&D, Tom and PFT's faux-interest in an epically boring Michael-K.-from-the-Cynics anecdote, Tom's "all fives" story about an unscrupulous car repairman, Tom razzing the H-Man about getting a job, a caller suggesting that Wally appear in corporate training videos, the West Wing music bit... there's more, too. Just amazing.
I got you stuck off the realness
We be the infamous
You heard of us
Official Newbridge murderers

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:34 PM »
Mayubinatorial debate

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »
Four Lokomas, but I'm currently working my way forward from late 2008 so this may change.

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:43:29 PM »
March 13th, 2001: "Listener Appreciation Week"

Tom opens the show with a spring in his step, sending only the most positive vibes to the listeners and regular callers, making outgoing calls to thank them. In a nearly perfect linear fashion, the quality of the calls declines until dropping into lame territory with a guy from Goshen who is inexplicably angry and keeps talking about his tractor. The show spirals into a frustrating lack of content--just boring chitchat. Several clever callers find something fishy about one particular set of calls, claiming they were "fake".

The show ends like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1488942/2001-03-13-ending.mp3

vert

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 11:05:11 PM »
It wasn't the first episode I listened to, but it was close.  When Matt "toilet mouth" Walsh dropped his filthy toilet talk on the show, which lead tom to go off the deep end for 45 minutes.  Every time he would hang up on someone because he was still mad at Walsh it just killed me, that was the episode where I knew the best show was going to be one of my favorites.

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 02:34:55 AM »
yadda
The Paul F. + Hodgman + Philly Boy episode also was the first one that really hooked me, too.

r4l9

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 07:15:47 AM »
Has anyone heard, or can explain this one...

January 6, 2004: (Show One) Tom Talks To An Angry Record Promo Guy. Tom Talks To 'Extreme Dad'. Tom Talks About Who Is A Factory Wrapped Douche. Archive Taken Down at the request of Tom.
Archive Taken Down at the request of Tom Due To Controversial Statements - That's Why You've Got To Listen To The Best Show LIVE!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »
Has anyone heard, or can explain this one...

January 6, 2004: (Show One) Tom Talks To An Angry Record Promo Guy. Tom Talks To 'Extreme Dad'. Tom Talks About Who Is A Factory Wrapped Douche. Archive Taken Down at the request of Tom.
Archive Taken Down at the request of Tom Due To Controversial Statements - That's Why You've Got To Listen To The Best Show LIVE!

I've heard Angry Record Promo guy and Extreme Dad - I have to guess that the "who is a FWD" bit was the one that got it taken down.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!