Author Topic: Are Metalocalypse or Archer funny?  (Read 5701 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Are Metalocalypse or Archer funny?
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
Both of these cartoons have been recommended to me.  The Home Movies and Jon Benjamin connection would suggest that they are funny.  However, what I've seen didn't really grab me. 

For the most part I've never found most of the Adult Swim cartoons, apart from Venture Brothers and a few others, to be all that great.  But I want these shows to be good so that there are more things in the world for me to like.

Sarah

Re: Are Metalocalpyse or Archer funny?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:26:38 AM »
Archer is funny.  Did you watch Frisky Dingo?  If you did, and liked it, then you'll end up liking ArcherMetalocalypse is occasionally funny and often repellent.  I would watch it for a while and then find myself in need of a break from it.  Every episode ends in gruesome carnage.  Sometimes this hits the spot; sometimes it doesn't.  I started watching it because of the Home Movies connection.  There is nothing of Home Movies in it.  (For that, you need to seek out Lucy, Daughter of the Devil or Bob's Burgers.)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Are Metalocalypse or Archer funny?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »
I have never heard of Frisky Dingo.  I suppose I will have to add all these to my watching queue.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »
I really liked archer once I watched a couple of episodes. It didn't grab me when I watched it casually.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:51:54 PM »
First I loved Metalocalypse, now I hate it. It tricks you into thinking it is funny, when it is actually just grinding the same stuff over and over again and when they switched the format from short to long, it was apparent that they didn't have actual content.

Archer is good, Frisky Dingo was better and should have been carried to a (i can't believe I'm saying this) satisfying conclusion...

Have you watched  Squidbillies, Xavier - Renegade Angel, 12 oz. Mouse, Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »
I've watched a few Metalocalypses and liked it but didn't get obsessed or anything.

I loved the couple of Squidbillies episodes I saw.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 07:43:20 PM »
Through no fault of my own I once saw the Metalocalypse guys play live at a massive venue here in Toronto. It was exactly like what I heard about early Gorillaz shows -- four guys in shadow with a sixty foot wide screen above them playing cartoons. I found it very dull (the music was highly polished but totally by-the-numbers thrash metal, or whatever sub-genre you want to call it), but there were probably three or four thousand people there who were going absolutely bananas. At the time I had no idea it was also a TV show.

Chris from Chicago

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
Archer is unequivocally the funniest/smartest animated series on television right now.  Make sure to record it, because the some of the funniest jokes are made by characters in the background of scenes speaking under their breath.  As a self-admitting television snob, Archer is one of the few shows I genuinely look forward to watching each week.
It's like trying to snap a guy's neck while he's sitting on a swivel chair......impossible.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:05:51 PM »

Have you watched  Squidbillies, Xavier - Renegade Angel, 12 oz. Mouse, Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

I've seen them, and they're the kind of thing I would watch if they were on but wouldn't go out of my way to see.  A lot of the current live-action shows like NTSF and Childrens Hospital, though, I go out of my way to see. 

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
Superjail! isn't necessarily very funny but I love it's trippy art style and that it is one of the few completely hand drawn animated shows remaining.

The guest show

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 01:26:30 AM »
The first season of Frisky Dingo is the funniest animated series i've seen. Archer has been ok but they recycled a couple of jokes from frisky dingo in the latest episode, which shows that it might be going down the drain. Season 2 of Archer is the best one imo.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 06:43:04 AM »

I've seen them, and they're the kind of thing I would watch if they were on but wouldn't go out of my way to see.  A lot of the current live-action shows like NTSF and Childrens Hospital, though, I go out of my way to see.

I would project somewhat and then say to you that I don't think you will get into those at any point.
I have recommended the imo core AS-shows to a lot of people and I have never seen someone come back to me after an occasional viewing and then suddenly getting into it. Either they love it off the bat or they are too polite to say that they think it is crap.

But my guess would be that you will like Archer, if you like NTSF and Childrens Hospital.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I agree that NTSF and Children's Hospital are great. I've had trouble getting into eagleheart, which is odd because I'm a chris Elliott fan.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
Eagleheart gets better later in the season--the episode with the Chinese people and whatnot is one of the strangest stories ever.

They need to lose the "chief" character.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
Archer is my favorite show on TV right now.  Just hilarious.
Your vigor for life appalls me.