Author Topic: Netflix Instant recommendations thread  (Read 64568 times)

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Netflix Instant recommendations thread
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »
I watched Primary Colors the other day and really enjoyed it. Liked it a lot more than Ides of March (in theatres now). Syriana is also on netflix. Can't remember enjoying any other political thriller as much as I did this one.

Feel free to recommend your favorite political features and documentaries.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 01:38:37 AM »
I enjoyed the documentary Following Sean. It's mostly about the filmmaker's experience in, and wariness of, the Haight-Ashbury scene in the late 60s, but also just an interesting portrait of a family.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 07:36:18 AM »
I'm using this thread to also recommend titles on Criterion's Hulu Plus channel. At least one month-long, $8 binge would seem reasonable:

Robert Bresson's riveting masterpieces A Man Escaped and L'Argent

The Letter Never Sent, a Soviet adventure film from the makers of Cranes Are Flying, with outstanding cinematography (including an amazing forest fire sequence).

Ernst Lubitsch's great, extremely entertaining To Be or Not To Be.

Elaine May's Mikey & Nicky, w/ Cassavetes & Peter Falk

Fassbinder's tongue-in-cheek sci-fi miniseries World on a Wire

An absolute treasure trove of Japanese classics from most of the masters (Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ozu, Imamura, Oshima, Naruse, etc.)

All your fave Bergman laffers.

Death Shadows – I don’t know that this is a good movie, but it’s certainly campy and strange.  The main plot as described on the site, about a trio of mute convicts forced to become samurai police, is completely dispensed with after half an hour, and instead shapes up as a duel between a member of the trio’s daughter and her vampy female nemesis. Features occasional interpretive dance interludes backed by disco lights, a character whose signature weapon is a long ribbon twirler,  and one scruffy actor who literally chews the scenery.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 08:24:54 AM »
The Trip (with FOT favorite Steve Coogan) is now available on Netflix Instant, and it's well worth a look.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
THE WONDER YEARS!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
The Trip (with FOT favorite Steve Coogan) is now available on Netflix Instant, and it's well worth a look.

Thanks for the heads up! Watching this tomorrow.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 01:44:19 PM »

See, why do they bury the good stuff when it becomes available?  How did you become aware of this? I comb the new releases every few days.

Also, thanks, Chris L. I just got hulu plus and and have flipping aimlessly through the hundreds of criterion movies.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »

See, why do they bury the good stuff when it becomes available?  How did you become aware of this? I comb the new releases every few days.

Just dumb luck. I searched for Steve Coogan to see if any of his series were available to watch instantly (they aren't) and this popped up.

moonshake

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
I searched for Steve Coogan to see if any of his series were available to watch instantly (they aren't)

Search harder! Saxondale is available. It's probably my favorite Steve Coogan TV show.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »

Also, thanks, Chris L. I just got hulu plus and and have flipping aimlessly through the hundreds of criterion movies.

I ususally check instantwatcher.com every so often. It's also handy for seeing what is about to become unavailable.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »
I searched for Steve Coogan to see if any of his series were available to watch instantly (they aren't)

Search harder! Saxondale is available. It's probably my favorite Steve Coogan TV show.

You're right - I do have that in my queue. I'd forgotten in my disappointment that I'm Alan Partridge isn't available. But I do plan on checking it out.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »

And I just focused mainly on things they haven't released on disc yet. Agree that it can be a little overwhelming.

They also added Eating Raoul yesterday; a movie I've heard much about but still never seen.

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
Just started watching Storage Wars.

YEP!

moonshake

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
If you have a spare 5 und a half hours to spend on a really well done, based-on-real-life, TV mini-series about a Venezuelan born terrorist, with a cool 80s post-punk/new-wave soundtrack, spend it on a Carlos marathon like I did today.
-Tom Scharpling

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:17 PM »
Just started watching Storage Wars.

YEP!

I keep watching it. I wish I got anything out of it. It's like these 8 people are the only people in the entire universe, and all they do is brag about how they beat somebody out of a deal, or bitch about how somebody else beat them out of a deal.

Too much like wrestling.