Author Topic: Greatest moments in rock  (Read 41640 times)

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Greatest moments in rock
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »
On the intro to Wouldn't It Be Nice, when the big percussive organ stop happens.  That gets me every time.

If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 05:51:03 PM »
When ever people describe a crack high, I imagine it must feel like when Fugazi's "Bed For The Scraping" goes from chanting "I don't want to be defeated" to that guitar slide.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »
The entire frenetic instrumental break of the great old Blue Oyster Cult song Teen Archer (1:42 - 3:00 in the following video.) The whole damn thing, too, but that break's great.

Blue Oyster Cult: Teen Archer

And can I get a witness, (Omar can you hear me?) The opening off-kilter opening lick to Kings X's The World Around You (and, again, the whole song.) For a key into how cleverly it's constructed, re-listen to it with a focus not on the guitar explosion, but on the backing vocals.
King's X - 1/11 - The World Around Me]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmETRAr7UQo#ws]King's X - 1/11 - The World Around Me
[/url]

And one more King's X; the beautiful combo of raw buzzsaw guitar with beautiful dense Beatlesy harmonys on It's Love (try the break from about 2:03 for an example). Great complex playing underneath the relatively straightforward vocal in the chorus, too, especially behind/underneath "that holds it all together" and "that's holding back the weather".

King's X - It's Love (video)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 06:44:35 PM »
King Crimson - Starless

The whole building storm from 4:24-8:44.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
King Crimson - Starless

The whole building storm from 4:24-8:44.

YES YES YES A MILLION TIMES YES

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 12:10:42 AM »
Three of my all-time favorites:

Black Sabbath - Fairies Wear Boots

1. Black Sabbath, "Fairies Wear Boots," from 4:53 on to the end of the last verse. Ozzy goes "Aaaalll right now!," Bill Ward starts hitting his crash cymbals four to the bar, Mr. Osbourne kicks his unholy growl into a higher gear, and no matter what I'm doing, when I hear this I bang my head.

Half Japanese - Firecracker

2. Half Japanese, "Firecracker Firecracker," at 1:12, when Jad sighs under the burden of a true love deferred. Always gets me. Plus this video is hilarious.

3. The Beatles, "Mr. Moonlight," when the kazoo comes in.
LN5OG

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
1. Black Sabbath, "Fairies Wear Boots," from 4:53 on to the end of the last verse. Ozzy goes "Aaaalll right now!," Bill Ward starts hitting his crash cymbals four to the bar, Mr. Osbourne kicks his unholy growl into a higher gear, and no matter what I'm doing, when I hear this I bang my head.

3. The Beatles, "Mr. Moonlight," when the kazoo comes in.

Sabbath: right on!  When John Osbourne, right after "cuz smokin' and trippin' is all that you do-hoo", goes "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Beatles: That's a kazoo?
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »
Cramps at Napa State Mental Hospital.  "Somebody told me you people are crazy, but I'm not so sure about that. You seem to be alright with me." (2:57)
THE CRAMPS-live at Napa State Mental Hospital.avi

I've touted this on other threads probably, but the third "AHHH!" in the Preachers version of "Who Do You Love?" is the epitome of primitive rock'n'roll. Especially the second time around leading into the short solo and the third time ending the song.
The Preachers - Who do you love

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 09:24:22 PM »

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »
~3:05, the crescendo in Elvis Costello's version of "Peace, Love and Understanding," when he holds the high note on the last "understanding" as the guitars stop, the drummer plays a big fill, and the guitars rush back in.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 03:32:01 PM »
The opening feedback squall on "Police Story" by Black Flag (pre-angry Haagen Daasz scooper)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
3:34

Portishead Glory Box 10-4-2011 Hammerstein Ballroom

Yup.  When I saw the song - hell, when I saw the band - I knew exactly where you were going.

Greatly underappreciated.   Sour Times was a big MTV thing but it's only the tip of the iceberg.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
Absolutely should be Slash's opening riff to 'Welcome to the Jungle'..

(what?)

break

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
3:34

Portishead Glory Box 10-4-2011 Hammerstein Ballroom

Yup.  When I saw the song - hell, when I saw the band - I knew exactly where you were going.

I did too.  They were superb at ATP last weekend, and no moment was more superb than this one.