Author Topic: Drive  (Read 13624 times)

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Drive
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 07:42:57 AM »
I really can't understand why Brooks got such raves for this movie, other than the novelty of Albert Brooks playing a murderous psycho. I thought Cranston did more with his much less flashy role.

I suspect it had something to do with the fact that he was able to keep a straight face long enough to get through it.

Albert Brooks is a total mystery to me. I laughed so hard when Dave said this on Night People: "Albert Brooks is either the funniest or least funniest person ever. I just don't know." because I feel the same way but am leaning heavily towards 'least funniest.' All I've seen is the one with Meryl Streep and I don't think I laughed once but it kept me for some reason.

around the bend

• Policemans heel
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
Gosling refused to deliver his lines.  His performance was really good but it called a lot of attention to itself.  The scene outside the pawn shop was really nerve wracking.  I give the movie 5/10.  Maybe 6

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 07:02:33 PM »
I really can't understand why Brooks got such raves for this movie, other than the novelty of Albert Brooks playing a murderous psycho. I thought Cranston did more with his much less flashy role.

I suspect it had something to do with the fact that he was able to keep a straight face long enough to get through it.

Albert Brooks is a total mystery to me. I laughed so hard when Dave said this on Night People: "Albert Brooks is either the funniest or least funniest person ever. I just don't know." because I feel the same way but am leaning heavily towards 'least funniest.' All I've seen is the one with Meryl Streep and I don't think I laughed once but it kept me for some reason.

Defending Your Life is a top 10 movie for me. However, if you're unsure, I'd check out his first three movies (Real Life, Modern Romance, Lost In America), which are among the funniest things I've ever seen.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »

Somebody who is cast against type and does a good job will always attract more attention than somebody who works more accustomed territory and does a great one.  Also, there's a lot of good will towards Albert Brooks; his last few movies haven't worked out so great and people want to see him do well.

That said, I thought he was great.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »

Somebody who is cast against type and does a good job will always attract more attention than somebody who works more accustomed territory and does a great one.  Also, there's a lot of good will towards Albert Brooks; his last few movies haven't worked out so great and people want to see him do well.

I thought he did a good enough job, just not particularly award-worthy. He probably should have won every award there was for Broadcast News though.

Brooks' movies can be hilarious but they're not exactly gag-packed, which maybe takes some new viewers time to get used to. Plus, the characters in Lost in America and especially Modern Romance tend to cross the line from neurotic to genuinely, unnervingly out-of-their-minds at times (which was what led to him being cast in Drive in the first place).

But everyone should be able to agree this is great, right?

Albert Brooks Ventriloquist Bit

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
He also gave a great, underappreciated performance in Out of Sight.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
Albert Brooks is a national fucking treasure.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »

National Treasure 3: Brooks of Secrets

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 12:15:27 AM »
How come Danny never made it into any of his movies?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:03 AM »

Yes.

Just for "Lost In America" alone.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »

I thought he did a good enough job, just not particularly award-worthy. He probably should have won every award there was for Broadcast News though.

Brooks' movies can be hilarious but they're not exactly gag-packed, which maybe takes some new viewers time to get used to. Plus, the characters in Lost in America and especially Modern Romance tend to cross the line from neurotic to genuinely, unnervingly out-of-their-minds at times (which was what led to him being cast in Drive in the first place).

But everyone should be able to agree this is great, right?

Albert Brooks Ventriloquist Bit

That whole thing is fantastic, especially the cigarette bit at 1:38 or so.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Barry in Ireland

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
I haven't seen Drive yet, partly because I don't think there'll every be a golf movie as good as Tin Cup.

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=slidewhistle

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
Don't bother watching if these Downfall parodies have permanently worn out their welcome for you.  They mostly have for me, but this mildly amused:

Hitler Learns Albert Brooks Was Not Nominated for Best Supporting Actor Oscar
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »

Absolutely. Omar has my proxy on this, and almost everything else.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »

Well said. Real Life is pretty much my favorite thing ever. Charles Grodin performing surgery on the horse? Oh my god.

As for Drive, I loved it.  Brooks doesn't deserve any awards; it was just fun to watch him and Perlman play such monsters...and monsters you kind of feel badly for.  And it is the depth of these other characters that makes me think that Gosling's shallowness is intentional (as opposed to being a symptom of poor writing).

But what do I know? I liked Joe Versus the Volcano.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling