Author Topic: 2012 WFMU MARATHON WEEK ONE. TED LEO! JULIE KLAUSNER! LET'S DO THIS.  (Read 6612 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Hey all, it’s Tom Scharpling!

The 2012 WFMU fundraising marathon starts next week. If you didn't know, WFMU is a listener-sponsored station that doesn't take corporate sponsorships or sleazy grants that compromise our ability to be 100 percent freeform. It lets me do what I do every week! But the only way that continues is if we receive your pledges!

We work really hard to make your pledges worth it. And this year I have put together a premium that might be my best yet! It’s called the HAMMER OF THE GODS BEST SHOW DEMON SUMMONING PACK. Any pledge of 75 dollars or more automatically secures you a copy. It consists of:

BEST SHOW MAGAZINE – our first-ever magazine! It’s shaping up to be pretty amazing, with contributions from JOHN HODGMAN, DAVID REES, an unreleased “Timewaster Letter” from ROBIN COOPER (aka Robert Popper) and MICHAEL KUPPERMAN! It will also feature my extended interview with MICHAEL NESMITH conducted specifically for this magazine! There will also be an ALL-STAR Q&A with SCHARPLING and WURSTER, with questions from PATTON OSWALT, AMY POEHLER, PAUL RUDD, PAUL SCHEER and so many more!

If that isn’t enough the magazine will include a FLEXI-DISC featuring a brand new song from KURT VILE recorded just for this premium!

And you can only get it by pledging DURING MY MARATHON SHOW!

The pack also includes a CD of ALL NEW COMEDY from SCHARPLING & WURSTER, ZACH GALIFIANAKIS, VANCE THE PUPPET, JEN KIRKMAN, GARY THE SQUIRREL and more! You can’t get it anywhere else!

You will also get a DOWNLOAD of the RADIOVISION CONFERENCE PANEL I was on with IRA GLASS and MARC MARON! It’s a funny and revealing conversation – hear me GOMP an audience member live! – and you can only get it by pledging (and we will make sure this download is available to you as soon as you pay your pledge – no waiting!)

If that wasn’t enough everybody who pledges $75 or more will receive an all new Best Show STICKER and a VANCE STRESS BALL! Unbelievable, right? And the only way to get these things is to pledge DURING MY SHOW on TUESDAY FEBRUARY 21st - from 9 PM to midnight EST!

You can pledge by calling 800-989-9368 or online at wfmu.org, but again - you must do it DURING MY SHOW.

We try to make the marathon shows fun instead of being a boring PBS pledge snooze. And I could not be more excited to have two VERY special guests live in the studio: TED LEO and JULIE KLAUSNER! It's gonna be so much fun!!!

I will also be giving out all kinds of prizes during the show with random drawings. Great books and records and signed stuff and super rare things!

And anybody who pledges $500 or more gets all the station prizes PLUS a COLOR VINYL copy of the RATED GG single that was last year's premium! This is the ONLY WAY TO GET THIS!!

And if you ever wanted to watch the show live, if you pledge $1000 or more to come down to watch the show IN THE STUDIO! All your Best Show dreams will come true!

WFMU also offers a variety of premiums that you can get for pledging at different prize levels. You can check them out by going to http://www.wfmu.org/marathon/tch.shtml

And if you can’t call or pledge online DURING MY SHOW and want to be sure you don’t miss out on the awesome premiums, you can EMAIL ME YOUR PLEDGE at toms@wfmu.org and I will write it up myself!

But high roller or entry level pledge, we need EVERYONE to step up and make it happen! TUESDAY FEBRUARY 21st! wfmu.org! 9-midnight EST!

Thanks for any and all help with spreading the word! I am grateful! Now let’s make HISTORY!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: 2012 WFMU MARATHON WEEK ONE. TED LEO! JULIE KLAUSNER! LET'S DO THIS.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:26:44 AM »
Yeah, and I'm going to be there getting drunk for all of youse, so please pledge.

AP Mike
See God, Kai

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:11:22 AM »
Yeah, and I'm going to be there getting drunk for all of youse, so please pledge.

AP Mike

Getting?

Chad from Oregon

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
I almost hate to imagine just what color that GG single will be. The possibilities are endless - not to mention endlessly disgusting!

That said, I think I will still take my chances.
I've got 99 problems but a FOT ain't one.

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »
I am gonna pledge so hard it hurts. I'm also going to screen The Pledge, a 2001 drama directed by Sean Penn and starring the late Jack Nicholson.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
Does watching the show live have to be used in 2012, or is it an expiration-less invitation?

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »
If you pledge 1000 bucks or more you can come up to the show whenever. It does not expire once 2012 ends.

Tom.

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
I've been absent from the board for a while, but I've still been listening.  And I just wanted to say that I made sure to do my taxes in time to get my refund in time to be able to pledge (and pay up quickly).  Second year I'll be pledging.  Eat your heart out, PBS.
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

misskcat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »
Will the marathon shows be videocast on WFMU? I like to pretend 2x a year that Best Show is a TV show, and also I want to see if Ted Leo wears a cool hat.

--Founding/sole member, Triangle FOT Council Women's League

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:34:05 PM »

--Founding/sole member, Triangle FOT Council Women's League
You stay strong girl.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
There's at least one more Triangle FOT who is a lady, and I've met three additional FOTs of the male persuasion, as well.  There's also rumor that some of the Newbridge callers show up in town sometimes, but I've never actually seen them. 

I came close once when the guy at the door of the Cat's Cradle laughed at me as I asked for Mountain Goats tickets 15 minutes before the show started.  File that one under Poor Planning.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
Will the marathon shows be videocast on WFMU?

Yes.

misskcat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »
Thanks! It's probably not called "videocasting" though. I bet it's "live-streaming." Eh, whatever. I'm like that guy who called up and said he wasn't made of intelligence.

SexyAnkles

• Policemans heel
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
Help me give my money to WFMU in Week 2.  Follow me on Twitter.  Here are the details.

http://www.indieposit.com/2012/02/22/the-best-show-on-wfmu-marathon-2012-tomthon/
"One good minute could last me a whole year"
        - Superchunk

Chad from Oregon

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »
Quick question: Was the color vinyl 7" scrapped - or is it just really, really, really dark?
I've got 99 problems but a FOT ain't one.