Author Topic: "Luckiest Man Alive" to replace Roger Ebert!  (Read 5353 times)

Ted Falconi

• Plantar Fasciitis
"Luckiest Man Alive" to replace Roger Ebert!
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:30:12 PM »
I'm not sure when this airs, but the comic convention is next weekend.
We reported last week that while Roger Ebert is still recovering from his surgery, guest hosts will be brought in to host the movie reviewer's television show with Richard Roeper.

Clerks II director Kevin Smith has announced that he will be one of the guest co-hosts on Ebert & Roeper.

"Kind of a cool honor, I feel," Smith wrote on his online blog. "We’ll be checking out Miami Vice, Ant Bully, Talladega Nights, Barnyard and maybe (fingers crossed) World Trade Center."

It may be interesting considering Ebert & Roper aired a pretaped One Thumbs down review mildly bashing the filmmakers recent Clerks 2. I'm wondering if Smith will call Roper out on some of his comments.

The filmmaker will tape his episode next week, just prior to Wizard World Chicago.

Ebert & Roeper taped six shows in advance of Ebert’s surgery, but when complications happened, Ebert's recovery was delayed.

Roger Ebert added, “Don’t get too used to these guest co-hosts because I’ll be back in the balcony before you know it.”

"As much as I'm looking forward to opening the balcony to some bright and challenging minds, what I'm really anticipating is that day in the near future when I can welcome back the best and most popular film critic in the world," remarked co-host Richard Roeper.

While Roger Ebert is recuperating from surgery, Jim Emerson will be filing reviews of new movies on RogerEbert.com.

Ebert underwent surgery for papillary thyroid cancer in February 2002. He later underwent surgery in 2003 for cancer in his salivary gland. He followed that up in December 2003, with a four week course of radiation treatment. All through this he continued to review movies, not having missed a single big release while undergoing treatment.

His latest surgery occured on Friday, June 16th. The goal was to remove a cancerous growth on his salivary gland. He was quoted as saying, "This is known as a slow growing and persistent cancer. You live with it."

Around 8:00pm on June 1st, a blood vessel burst near the area of the operation. Northwestern Memorial Hospital officials have not immediately returned phone calls from The Associated Press.

Roger Ebert has been a film critic at the Chicago Sun-Times since 1967. His reviews are syndicated to over 200 newspapers in the U.S. and abroad. He is also a long-time co-host of a syndicated movie review television program. He won the Pulitzer Prize for criticism in 1975, the same year that he teamed up with Gene Siskel to launch their movie-review show, Siskel & Ebert. Siskel died in 1999, and Richard Roeper replaced him on the show in September 2000.
http://www.slashfilm.com/article.php/20060726031224840

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: "Luckiest Man Alive" to replace Roger Ebert!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:36:21 PM »
Smith and Roeper?  Jeebus, the world's gone to shit.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 05:56:55 PM »
I can't help but wonder if Ebert's current health problems are somehow related to his "not having missed a single big release while undergoing treatment."

Hmm, that "big release" is certainly an apt phrase, no?
See God, Kai

Mark

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 03:19:51 PM »
I caught a bit of this yesterday. He really liked that movie Step Up.
Let me just let that dangle there for a minute.