Author Topic: "Jobriath AD" documentary trailer  (Read 3437 times)

DS1077

• Policemans heel
"Jobriath AD" documentary trailer
« on: June 25, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
Thought some FOT might be interested int his - a new trailer for a documentary about glam rocker Jobriath.  Jobriath A.D. - Glam Rock's Lost God (Official Trailer)

I don't think they have distribution yet, but hopefully this gets some momentum - I'd love to see it.

nec13

• Space Champion!
Re: "Jobriath AD" documentary trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
Glam rock has never been my cup of tea, but I'll admit this doc looks interesting.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

dudep

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »
My cousin was the music supervisor!  He also worked on a short reinterpretation of the Gallagher saga that may be of interest: http://watermelontears.com/

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »
Oh, this looks awesome and I'd never heard of it.  Thanks for the heads-up!
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
He seems to be an interesting character.  How's the music?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »

I don't know, Fredericks. I've never really had any desire to seek out his music, but what little I've heard sort of sounds like warmed over Ziggy Stardust-era Bowie. As I said earlier, I know I'm probably slaughtering a sacred cow when I say this, but glam rock has never done anything for me. Harder-edged glam rock (Slade, Alice Cooper, early Queen, the first few Mott the Hoople albums) isn't bad though.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »

I don't know, Fredericks. I've never really had any desire to seek out his music, but what little I've heard sort of sounds like warmed over Ziggy Stardust-era Bowie. As I said earlier, I know I'm probably slaughtering a sacred cow when I say this, but glam rock has never done anything for me. Harder-edged glam rock (Slade, Alice Cooper, early Queen, the first few Mott the Hoople albums) isn't bad though.
New York Dolls? T-Rex? Iggy? Eno? Sparks?  Off the top of my head.
With you re: Mott.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »

nec13, Fredericks:

As noted, his stuff is unsurprisingly extremely derivative of Ziggy-period Bowie, but it's a lot more theatrical.  Like "musical theater"-theatrical, rather than the kind of theatricality you might expect in other glam stuff.  Like you guys, I generally prefer the harder glam rock (including all the bands you guys named and even early Kiss), but Jobriath's stuff hits me just right on those occasions that I'm in the mood for it.

All I have is a mid-2000s best-of called Lonely Planet Boy (presumably so named by label head and Dolls fan Morrissey) and it's probably all the Jobriath I'll ever need.  I can't really recommend him based on what you guys are saying.  It has much more in common with Broadway kind-of stuff than, say, Slade, Alice Cooper, or the Dolls.  A lot of it makes the Alice Cooper Band's embarrassing forays into "When you're a Jet" territory sound like the work of Kevin Allin.
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »

And Roxy Music, (The) Sweet, Wizzard/Roy Wood, Lou Reed's Transformer and ABBA's "Hey Hey Helen". And Zolar X. Glam Rock never really seemed to take off in the US.
Totally in my wheelhouse. I'm surprised Morrissey isn't involved with this. In 2004, Jobriath was all he was talking about.
"Dad gets mad."

DS1077

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »
I'm far from an expert, but would have to say that I find Jobriath's actual music to be inoffensive but not terribly memorable.  "Space Clown" is quite nice.  And some of his performance clips on youtube are fun for the wild costumes even if the music doesn't have enough of a hook for me.  I think he's far more interesting as a story (or a trivia answer), though, which has me excited for this doc to make the rounds.

On the glam-adjacent list, anyone here know Lewis Furey?  His "The Humours of" album is kind of special, if you're willing to follow someone WAY into the theatrical/poppy side of glam.  Lewis Furey / Legacy

Mr. Colin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »
I have heard that the music he did after he lost the rights to the name "Jobriath", when he worked as Bryce Campbell or Cole Berlin, was also pretty amazing -- most of it is lost, however, as his grieving father sold or tossed out everything after his death.  There is this, which is intriguing: Cole Berlin (aka Jobriath) - Sunday brunch