Author Topic: Honey Boo Boo Hillbilly Time  (Read 2867 times)

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Honey Boo Boo Hillbilly Time
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
I've never seen the show, but after Mike talked about it, and after reading this, I am intrigued. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2012/08/here_comes_honey_boo_boo_and_the_history_of_the_hillbilly_in_america_.html

Kormod

Re: Honey Boo Boo Hillbilly Time
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »
http://www.examiner.com/article/here-comes-honey-boo-boo-ratings-top-rnc-coverage

How much does the American public care about politics? Not as much as they care about a controversial reality TV show about a self-proclaimed "redneck" family and their "Toddlers & Tiaras" daughter - at least on a single network basis.

According to Nielsen's overnight ratings, reported on Thursday, the fourth episode of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" attracted just shy of 3 million viewers at 10 p.m., which was a 30 percent bump from the prior week (2.3 million viewers).

The half-hour reality series' showing among the key demographic of adults 18-49 outperformed all other cable outings for the evening, including coverage of the Republican National Convention (RNC), garnering a 1.3 rating.

As you might expect since this was the RNC, Fox News did the best and came the closest to "Honey Boo Boo," with a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic. "Honey Boo Boo" topped ABC and CBS' demographic showing for the RNC combined and beat NBC by two-tenths of a point.

It should be clear, though, that combined coverage of the RNC across all channels easily topped "Honey Boo Boo."

Meanwhile, of course, "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" is destroying its lead-in, which is the show that spawned it, "Toddlers &Tiaras." T&T drew only 1.6 million viewers and a 0.6 rating among the key demographic of adults aged 18-49 at 9 p.m. That was less than the repeat 10:30 p.m. showing of "Honey Boo Boo," which attracted 1.8 million viewers and a 0.8 adults rating.

"Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" debuted on TLC in August as a spin-off of "Toddlers & Tiaras,' starring T&T contestant Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson, 7, and her family: June "Mama" Shannon, 32; Mike "Sugar Bear" Thompson, 40, Alana's father (he and June are not married); Anna "Chickadee" Shannon, 17, Alana's eldest sister and a teenage mother; Jessica "Chubbs" Shannon, 15, Alana's sister; Lauryn "Pumpkin" Shannon, 12, Alana's youngest sister.

The family resides in rural McIntyre, Georgia.

I credit the AP Mike bump.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »
I didn't hear AP Mike discussing it, but I did see a few episodes of this thing. Honey Boo Boo is a funny, sharp kid. Her family seems happy, and self-aware. When you compare them to the other Toddlers & Tiaras families, it's no contest: they seem like good people.

The best we can hope for is that they stop producing this series after one season, because it won't be good for her character. But that won't happen, obviously. In any case, I believe I've seen all I need to see of this show, but it's pretty fun. (Except for the pet pig which is clearly in mortal terror throughout.)

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »