Poll

Will the Undertaker defeat CM Punk at Wrestlemania 29 on April 7, thereby extending his unprecedented WrestleMania winning streak to 21-0?

Yes
11 (68.8%)
No
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 02:15:45 PM

Author Topic: 21-0?  (Read 9638 times)

Josh

• Space Champion!
21-0?
« on: March 05, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »

• Wrestlemania 28: Triple H (Hell in a Cell with guest referee Shawn Michaels)
  • Wrestlemania 27: Triple H (No Holds Barred)
  • Wrestlemania 26: Shawn Michaels (No Disqualification, No Countout, Streak vs. Career)
  • Wrestlemania 25: Shawn Michaels
  • Wrestlemania 24: Edge
  • Wrestlemania 23: Batista
  • Wrestlemania 22: Mark Henry (Casket Match)
  • Wrestlemania 21: Randy Orton
  • Wrestlemania 20: Kane
  • Wrestlemania 19: Big Show and A-Train (Handicap Match)
  • Wrestlemania 18: Ric Flair (No Disqualification)
  • Wrestlemania 17: Triple H
  • Wrestlemania 15: Big Boss Man (Hell in a Cell)
  • Wrestlemania 14: Kane
  • Wrestlemania 13: Sycho [sic] Sid
  • Wrestlemania 12: Diesel
  • Wrestlemania 11: King Kong Bundy
  • Wrestlemania 9: Giant Gonzalez
  • Wrestlemania 8: Jake "The Snake" Roberts
  • Wrestlemania 7: "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Josh

• Space Champion!
Re: 21-0?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »
Paul D, you are barred from this thread. Stay out.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 01:57:37 PM »
Your Hurricanes blew it Saturday. No pun intended, but yes pun accepted.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »
What's up b'coat? I'm not much for college hoops but I've kept an eye on Indiana (since I live in Bloomington now) and Miami (dear alma mater) this season. Indiana seems soft inside and I can't see them in the Final Four. They're also very inconsistent which may reflect on coaching. Crean always seems on the verge of sanity. The 'Canes got hot for awhile there and were extremely lucky in their run, but they were never true contenders in my mind. They're better than they looked at the beginning of the season when star guard Durand Scott and big man Reggie Johnson involuntarily missed time due to suspensions stemming from the NCAA's inquiry into the wheelings and dealings of rouge booster Nevin Shapiro, who remains incarcerated at the U.S. Penitentiary in Atlanta. I'm a fan of Larranaga but they were punching above their weight with the number two ranking. I doubt they can climb back to a #1 seed in the tournament so I don't think they'll advance beyond the Sweet Sixteen. On the other hand, North Carolina is getting hot at the right time and they seem poised for a run in the ACC tournament. What do you think? I'm starting to follow pro tennis more closely so if you want to talk BNP Paribas Open let me know.

All the Best,

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
If Carolina wins two NCAA Tournament games this was a successful season (and even that's unfair). They lost four NBA players. We are a spoiled group of fans.

It frustrates me that even in their worst years, with no really good players Duke wins 26-30 games, and, occasionally, as in 2010, a national title. I don't want to fully examine how much that frustrates me.

I think Larranaga was a steal for Miami - everyone else thought he was going there to slip into a paid retirement. If you look at their ACC road games leading up to the Wake Forest loss, the wheels were barely staying on. Didn't they lose to Florida Nonexistent earlier in the season? They were living off having absolutely smashed two callow UNC and Duke teams in Miami. Those were good wins but not national champion-making by themselves. They're senior-led and solid, but I think picking them for a Final Four bid would be a mistake.

I don't "do" tennis, as our friend in Jamaica would say, though I did stay up watching an extended battle between Ferrer and another Spaniard during the Australian Open.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »
Are you all trolling me with this topic?

1) I know Taker's going to keep the streak alive, particularly in the wake of Paul Bearer's passing, but I am going to completely believe going in that CM Punk will steal this. I'm eagerly awaiting Punk and Heyman's character assination of Paul Bearer this Monday night and hopefully they'll interrupt the in-ring 10-bell salute like total jerks. Justin Credible did that once for Tommy Dreamer's grandfather at ECW Arena and it nearly exploded into a riot -- one of my all-time favorite live wrestling moments.

2) My beloved La Salle Explorers are a win or two away from locking up a NCAA Tournament bid. I could not be more worried/excited/etc. If they make it, they're a guard-oriented team capable of beating anyone when they shoot the ball. America will fall in love with Ramon Galloway, the team's lone senior who has been on SportsCenter a whole bunch for crazy ass dunks and also has range from anywhere within half court. And, yes, he shoots from that far out regularly.

3) La Salle played a Reggie Jackson-less Miami team in December. La Salle ended up losing by almost 20 but that score's deceiving. We were up at halftime and, in fact, had a 12-point lead at one point in the game. Miami exploded in the second half and we couldn't close out any possessions since the Explorers are awful at rebounding. But it was a VERY competitive game for about 33 minutes or so.

Miami's good but not Final Four good. But no team is this season.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Racan

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
It's been a while, wrestling cohort! I agree that Undertaker will likely keep the streak alive, but if anyone were to beat him at Wrestlemania, I'd love it to be CM Punk. That said, he'll probably have to carry the match, as usual, and should look great, regardless of a loss.

Best wishes with La Salle, Gregg. As a resident of British Columbia, I've been following Gonzago with baited breath. Should be an interesting tournament this year!

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »
It's been a while, wrestling cohort! I agree that Undertaker will likely keep the streak alive, but if anyone were to beat him at Wrestlemania, I'd love it to be CM Punk. That said, he'll probably have to carry the match, as usual, and should look great, regardless of a loss.

There's nobody on the roster who can carry Taker to a  better match than Punk will which is probably why Taker agreed to work with him. And Taker is so over that everything he does will get a huge pop from the crowd so i have high hopes for this match. This could be Taker's fifth classic Mania match in a row.

Part of me thinks it would be genuinely tasteless for Punk to interrupt a 10 bell salute for Bearer, I also get the feeling that Paul Bearer would really get a kick out of it.

The highlight of John Darnielle's WTF? interview was him discussing what kind of heel he would be if he turned. He had clearly put some thought into it and it's always nice to find a kindred spirit.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 12:00:56 AM »
Thanks for chiming in, everyone. Greggulator, this is the fourth streak-related poll. Thanks for that article on e-fedding. I feel lucky I didn't find that when I was in high school or it would have completely consumed my life.

I don't see the Undertaker coming back from injury a month before WrestleMania just to put over someone who's already one of their biggest stars.

By the way, Wikipedia claims that Gordon Solie passed away in New Port Richey, FL.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 11:42:55 AM »
Congrats on your Explorers, currently getting 1.5 against Boise State. TruTV with Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg with the call from University of Dayton Arena.

And go 'Canes.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »
A begrudging congratulations to the Hurricanes. They were the class of the ACC this year, and the only reason they're not a #1 seed is that their uniforms don't say UNC or Duke.

Although nearly every one of their losses is inexplicable.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for the congrats. I know I'm in my mid-30s and I should not derive happiness from the success for teenagers who play basketball. However, I love basketball and I love my school. My closest friends are from that place. And my education there was a large contributing factor to any professional and/or creative success I've ever had. It's such a weird college -- I spent my years drinking 40s on the hood of abandoned cars, went to sleep to sporadic gunfire, got to see The Promise Ring and a bunch of other great bands for free with the 15 other kids with any music taste who went there and in general just had an awesome experience. On top of it, I also have a MA from there and worked on campus for a few years so I got to see it from an adult perspective and grew to like it even more.

The team hasn't been to the NCAAs since 1991. I started in 1995 so they never went to the tournament since my tenure began. They used to be a power (national championship and NITs and Top 10 rankings) before falling off. Then in 2004, the worst happened -- three kids were kicked off the team for two separate sex crimes incidents and the men's and women's coaches were fired for hiding it. It was awful. We got killed in the local media (largely from Steven A. Smith) who were pissed that we fired a basketball coach who gave good quotes yet overlooked the fact that he broke federal laws by not reporting an alleged rape. One of the players, BTW, is current San Antonio Spur Gary Neal. So anytime you hear "Towson State grad who transferred from La Salle" -- that's the story why. And no one in the press wrote too much about the former coach Billy Hahn's repugnant behavior on the witness stand where he said nonsense like "Girls spread their legs for players". He's human garbage to the fullest degree.

Making it even crazier, our current coach has been building to this in fits and starts. He had a really great recruiting class a few years ago that was built in an interesting way -- he assembled a team largely comprised of guys between 6'5" and 6'8" in height, all of whom could play any position. His argument was that it's hard to get good big men or guards at the A-10 level but good swing guys fell through the cracks. They were set to do damage their senior year when they added a Top 50 recruit big man. Low and behold, four starting players tore ACLs or other season ending injuries so they fell apart.

The next year, the sophomore stud center turned into a total head case. He was an awful ballhog and teammate and used to scream at the coaches and the like constantly. I hate ripping on any college kid but this guy was just bruuuutal. He got kicked off the team/transferred at the end of the year to West Virginia... whose main assistant coach is now Billy Hahn, who grabbed this kid just to stick it to us.

This team is so much fun and great. Their star is a kid named Ramon Galloway. He grew up right within walking distance from the school which is one of the worst neighborhoods in Philly. He has had as rough a life as a 22-year-old kid can have. He went to South Carolina initially to get out of Philly. However, his grandfather who helped raised him needs a liver transplant so he got a waiver to come home. On top of it, his dad's blind from being shot in the head (yet goes to every game). He has two brothers in lock-up for drugs/guns/etc. There's also an unknown thing going on with his mom right now.

He is the nicest kid. It's a small school and I know a bunch of people who work on campus who have either taught him or interacted with him. They all say he's great -- shows up and participates in classes, is really funny, intelligent, etc. He's also really appreciative of the college and the fact he gets to play in front of his family (who take up most of an entire section of our gym).

I'm partial, but I think he's the most underrated player in the country. He has a game that's patterned after James Harden. He has range from anywhere within half court (and frequently shoots from that far out). He's also absurdly athletic and has a few ESPN SportsCenter Top 10s. He loves defending and also can pass. We played Iona this year and he had 21 points by halftime and zero in the second... but doled out 11 assists.

Yesterday was awesome. I was on campus for the announcement. We were literally the last team selected. It was a total nightmare but came together. I'm still flying high.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »
By the way, Wikipedia claims that Gordon Solie passed away in New Port Richey, FL.

It's a pretty big pro-wrestling town.

Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
My story is very similar to Greggulator's. I am a fan of the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. Three of the four years I was at UNC, they did not win National Championships - thus, we didn't get to go build bonfires on Franklin Street except after ACC titles and wins over #1 teams.

Since I left, the program's results have been, in a word, mixed. National titles in 2005 and 2009, yes, but there was also a losing season and a total of two NIT bids. During several of those years, fewer than three UNC players were drafted in the first round - sometimes only one! On a number of occasions, it seemed before the ends of games that officials were going to call more fouls on UNC than their opponents, although this never actually happened against anybody but Duke. It's also difficult having to endure being only Dick Vitale's second favorite team.

I went to school with Rasheed Wallace.  Some of you may have heard of him - a hard luck young man if ever there was one. So giving and decent, and he's had to put up with so much shabby treatment.  And Jerry Stackhouse, despite a long NBA career, doesn't seem to have made enough money to retire.  I believe he's playing in a notorious cocaine-and-ironic-mustache-infested American city.

Won't you please share some emotional energy for the tough athletic times I've had to endure?