Author Topic: Frank Rich's Glowing Article In New York Magazine About 'Django Unchained'  (Read 3878 times)

Broccoli Rob Funicello

• Plantar Fasciitis
I wonder if AP Mike has seen the cover article of the
February 11, 2013 issue of New York magazine and
it's impressive article by Pulitzer prize winning journalist
Frank Rich on how 'Django Unchained' renewed his faith
in America?
If AP Mike is reading this I will gladly send you a copy.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
See God, Kai

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
I'm with you on Chango, AP Mike.  A 1930's Merry Melodies cartoon depicting the 'funny goings-on' on a Southern plantation has more sensitivity than that hot garbage.  Loved the way every time someone gets shot a bucket of ZaRex comes flying out. Ha.

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction: great
Jackie Brown: very good crime drama
Kill Bill Vol. 1: good fun, slight movie
"    "    Vol. 2 and onward: I'd rather drink a thermos full of ketchup than to see them again.
Tarantino doesn't have anyone to say "no" to him and thus his films are bloated exercises in rehashing juvenile 70s drive-in movies.
To paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson's character to De Niro's in Jackie Brown- "You used to be beautiful, man..."
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Here's the link to Rich: http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/django-unchained-oscar-race-2013-2/index3.html. It's a little overexcitable to say he claims DU "renewed his faith in America;" Here's the actual quote: "(I)t’s worth noting that of all the American films that have made movie­going seem more vital this year, Django is the only one to demonstrate unequivocal 'crossover' appeal—'crossover' being the entertainment industry’s undying euphemism for movies that draw large black and white audiences alike. That movie­goers of both races are willing to check out a white filmmaker’s profane, impolitic riff on the most sacred African-American history says something hopeful about America."

Me, I thought while watching it that Django was OK--about on par with Inglorious Basterds but nowhere near as good as the first three. But the extremity of reaction on both sides has left me so non-plussed in the face of my "Meh" that I'm thinking I should look at it again.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

fonpr

• Space Champion!
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/jan/15/bill-maxwell-django-puts-us-society-under/

Bill Maxwell:

Tarantino uniquely captured the essence of the "peculiar institution." He may have engaged in historical revisionism, but he made a bold statement about a moral stain that Americans, white and black, cannot easily discuss and lack the moral gumption to reconcile.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Frank Rich's Glowing Article In New York Magazine About 'Django Unchained'
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 03:16:07 PM »
To paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson's character to De Niro's in Jackie Brown- "You used to be beautiful, man..."

Greatest scene Tarantino had anything to do with.