Author Topic: Write a short blurb (75 - 100 words) on what you streamed via Netflix yesterday  (Read 3830 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
I re-watched Gosford Park, paying closer attention than I did when I saw it a few years back, and my goodness, it's layered richness is very impressive. I am a sucker for the fussy fidgitiness of Bob Balaban, and there was just little enough of him to serve as an accent to the standard-issue murder mystery that is the bedrock of the film, but it's the quick asides and reaction shots that make it. Recommended! Possibly the greatest cast of the last 15 - 20 years? Everybody wanted to work with Altman at least once. And many exactly once.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
I just watched the advertising doc Art & Copy. It's pretty amazing to see how erudite the old lions of the industry are, but I suspect that most of the younger generation in the business are not keeping up that tradition. The segment that focused on Lee Clow (an ad-man friend tells me that Clow is widely regarded as the greatest creative in the industry) set off my "Commodify Your Dissent" alarm, as he seems to be the guy who had the brainstorm to repackage the counter-culture into a sales pitch for cars and breakfast cereal.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
I saw Cabin the Woods for the first time. I didn't know much about it other than it was pretty well-liked.  I do enjoy scary movies and enjoyed it immensely.  It was funnier and campier than I expected. Actually I would classify it as much as a comedy than a horror movie.

I laughed out loud a lot (starting with the speakerphone bit). But I was also on painkillers from root canal -- so grain of salt.

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
I started watching the second part of a five part series on Auschwitz. I found it depressing for some reason, so I turned it off and watched about 45 minutes of Upstream Color -- some dude kidnaps a girl (the kidnapping involved him having her take a capsule that has some weird maggot inside it), keeps her in his apartment, brainwashes her, and makes her give him money. Pretty nifty scheme. There was much more to all of it, I'm sure, but I didn't feel like paying too close attention.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Not a thing. I rarely have time for television. Besides,  I think it's bad for your health. I love music, podcasts and nature. Have you ever thought about the act of watching TV?  I have. The Russians used to envy us because American people would willingly watch television. They had to have an entire intelligence network to keep people in check.  Americans willfully submit themselves to inactivity. I have never had cable (except in hotel rooms). Is that seventy five words?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Not a thing. I rarely have time for television. Besides,  I think it's bad for your health. I love music, podcasts and nature. Have you ever thought about the act of watching TV?  I have. The Russians used to envy us because American people would willingly watch television. They had to have an entire intelligence network to keep people in check.  Americans willfully submit themselves to inactivity. I have never had cable (except in hotel rooms). Is that seventy five words?

81. I suggest anyone posting in this thread use this website to make sure their post is within the limits prescribed by Dave (and no, this post doesn't count, you jerks): http://www.wordcounter.net/

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
There are no rules, only guidelines. I just suggested 75 so that we could coax people to say a couple of specific things about the shows/movies, rather than fill it up with posts like "I saw the documentary "Seth McFarlane: Living the Shameless Dream". It sucked". (Now I am paranoid about whether I have hit the 75 word guideline.)

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Watched The Imposter again, this time while drunk. I was seeing Frederick Bourdin in double. Totally wild. I've grown to appreciate his Michael Jackson-esque dance moves and the incompetence of the FBI. I can't really say much more without spoiling the damned thing.

Everyone should watch this thing, and you're a creep if you don't. Twists, weirdo protagonist, a crazy Texan P.I. What's there not to like? Watch while very drunk or on goofballs.

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Watching Minnie and Moskowitz. Some guy with a weird 1800s boxers mustache tries to woo some chick who looks a young version of an old lady. The guy's pretty abusive. Cassavetes probably approves of this, because he's abusive himself. Leave any respect you have for women at the door. Otherwise, you might kill yourself.

Also, check out Cataechism and Cataclysm. It's a comedy starring Steven Little (who plays Stevie Janowski in Eastbound and Down). Falls apart at the end, but the first hour is very entertaining.

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
Finally got to Part I of the Red Riding Trilogy.

Classical tragedy, gorgeous use of an Ann Peebles song, very creepy climax (which reminded me of Rosemary's Baby for some reason), but I've seen better mystery plots in an episode of Scooby Doo.

One thumb up.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Finally got to Part I of the Red Riding Trilogy.

Classical tragedy, gorgeous use of an Ann Peebles song, very creepy climax (which reminded me of Rosemary's Baby for some reason), but I've seen better mystery plots in an episode of Scooby Doo.

One thumb up.

How many do you have?

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Doctor Who, the new series and the Classic.  As I am currently unemployed I find this show very comforting in a cold world.  Nice to imagine there's a humanist alien time-traveller who is also alternately charismatic and eccentric looking out for us.  Watched one of the sillier story arcs called "The Power of Kroll" with 70s Doctor Tom Baker. It involves a giant Khutulu like squid threatening an indigenous people called "The Swampies".  Funny stuff.  Watched some newer episodes involving Daleks, Winston Churchill, The Devil, the end of time, the end of the universe and a big black hole.  Good times.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Now that Peep Show is back on streaming, I watched the episode where Mark and Gerard(?) form the 'Dobby Club' after she takes up with a graphic designer, and Jez starts working for the guy in a coma whose girlfriend he tried to steal (while he was in a coma). He attempts to sign Super Hans' band 'Man Feelings', who he insists change their name to 'Danny Dyer's Chocolate Homonculus' and wear Zoot Suits, but is then forced to fire them. It is cringe comedy to be sure, but very well done.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
'Danny Dyer's Chocolate Homonculus'
That made me laugh. Love the useless apostrophe'.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

TheyGotEmma

• Plantar Fasciitis
The X-Files, Season 2, Episode 12: Aubrey. A woman starts having visions of murders that took place over the last 100 years or so. It was very dark-- more literally than anything else. Made me realize how dirty my computer screen is. Anyway, it turned out they were murders her father had committed, but then she becomes murderous too, possibly because of "genetic memory." The two main guest characters have really good makeup that makes their faces all red and bumpy. Mulder basically tells Scully she's an idiot, as usual (why is she always wrong?) and says that dreams are answers to questions we haven't figured out how to ask (deep). I wasn't paying attention for most of this episode, to be honest, because I was playing a game on my phone (second screen experience).

ETA I just watched Gosford Park too and liked it a lot. It's surprisingly depressing compared to Downton Abbey.