Author Topic: Pigpen  (Read 10602 times)

Charingx

• Plantar Fasciitis
Pigpen
« on: June 21, 2013, 12:35:25 PM »
I hope I didn't miss this, but is there someway to hear Jerry Garcia "pulling the plug" on Pigpen's rap?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Pigpen
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 02:05:34 PM »
 Only a close approximation, but: (1) Play a Grateful Dead song featuring Pigpen rapping; (2) Turn it off in the middle.  Works for me!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

RickInSaltLake

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »
Was the rapping his thing? Did he do it in most of the songs he sang? I have recently incorporated "like a tom cat, long and proud" into my vocabulary and need more...

Charingx

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 01:22:58 AM »
Just to clarify, Mike said that Jerry Garcia pulled the plug on Pigpen's final rap.  I don't think they got that far in the song    I am sort of curious to hear the point in which Jerry Garcia decided that Pigpen was being a bit too self-indulgent.   
I did find another rendition of Pigpen rapping to Good Lovin'.   If you count the drum solo, this cover is a little over 27 minutes long.   Not quite eleven times longer than the original.    I think this might be my own version of the Frankie Teardrop challenge.   http://www.archive.org/download/http://archive.org/details/gd71-04-17.sbd.nayfield.121.122.sbeok.shnf 

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:39:02 AM »
I don't know, but on 9/19/70's "Lovelight":

This filthy version of Lovelight has become legendary because Pigpen drops the F-bomb like a dirty sailor. It actually was a pretty radical thing to do at the time and certainly caught Bobby off guard who asks, "Uh Pigpen, did you say fuck?" Seizing the opportunity, Pigpen emphatically responds, "I said FUCK." This energizes both the band and audience even more, bringing things to a boiling point. The thermonuclear finale is one for the ages. Following the last crashing note Pigpen drops a huge Hiroshima F-bomb on the already frenzied audience leaving them in a prurient mushroom cloud of sweaty pheromones.

Listen at 20:10-

30. Not Fade Away -} Turn On Your Lovelight - Grateful Dead - 9/19/70 - U31DoD 2012 Edition

DaveFoster

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:33:38 PM »
I hope I didn't miss this, but is there someway to hear Jerry Garcia "pulling the plug" on Pigpen's rap?

I think it's safe to say Tom has finally pulled the plug on the Pigpen rap.  I just heard how this whole thing started.  Mike thought it was great and wanted Tom to hear it.  Said he was the "first Rapper." Mike liked it.  He actually liked it. Mike playing this for Tom was a golden moment in the show's history. Mike liked it enough to give it to Tom.  And of course Tom was like "this is terrible" and then the stage was set.

I did find another rendition of Pigpen rapping to Good Lovin'.   If you count the drum solo, this cover is a little over 27 minutes long.   Not quite eleven times longer than the original.    I think this might be my own version of the Frankie Teardrop challenge.

Maybe on a trip in the car you could play it for a passenger and see how long they last.  I think it would pretty funny if somebody did that to me

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:48:51 PM »

I think it's safe to say Tom has finally pulled the plug on the Pigpen rap.  I just heard how this whole thing started.  Mike thought it was great and wanted Tom to hear it.  Said he was the "first Rapper." Mike liked it.  He actually liked it. Mike playing this for Tom was a golden moment in the show's history. Mike liked it enough to give it to Tom.  And of course Tom was like "this is terrible" and then the stage was set.

Hold on. You don't think I knew what Tom's reaction would be?! Also, although I am a fan of the Grateful Dead, that doesn't mean I'm a fan of everything they did and can't recognize their excesses, including Pigpen's raps, as possible comedic gold. What I did was tee one up for Tom and watch him hit it out of the park (see the Cowboy Star show for another example of this). Give me some credit, will you.
See God, Kai

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »
I would really love to hear 'Cowboy Star' make it into the audio collage.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »
Give me some credit, will you.
I thought you were above those kind of needs.

Since you aren't: You are great. An essential part of the show, thank you for being there.

"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »
"I'm waalking my dog."
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

DaveFoster

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »

Hold on. You don't think I knew what Tom's reaction would be?! Also, although I am a fan of the Grateful Dead, that doesn't mean I'm a fan of everything they did and can't recognize their excesses, including Pigpen's raps, as possible comedic gold. What I did was tee one up for Tom and watch him hit it out of the park (see the Cowboy Star show for another example of this). Give me some credit, will you.

Sorry.  You fooled me. The straight men never get the credit they deserve :-*

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 07:13:11 PM »
Give me some credit, will you.
I thought you were above those kind of needs.

Since you aren't: You are great. An essential part of the show, thank you for being there.

Not really (hey, I'm a human being like everyone else). And especially not now (hard times continue). Thank you. Your kind words are truly appreciated.
See God, Kai

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 07:20:38 PM »

Sorry.  You fooled me. The straight men never get the credit they deserve :-*

I hope this doesn't spoil the golden moment in the show's history for you. It's still funny even if I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool deadhead completely lacking in critical thinking skills, right?
See God, Kai

DaveFoster

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
I hope this doesn't spoil the golden moment in the show's history for you. It's still funny even if I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool deadhead completely lacking in critical thinking skills, right?

Nothing can take away from that golden moment, nothing.  I was in car with somebody who was yapping away while I was trying to listen. So I turned it off so I could hear it in peace later on.  As luck would have it, I couldn't find it and maybe I would have caught on had I listened to the whole thing.   It was funny to listen to the origin after what two months of pigpen interjecting himself  into the show at every turn. 

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »

It's still funny even if I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool deadhead completely lacking in critical thinking skills, right?

Change the name of this thread to Breaking Dead.