Author Topic: Pigpen  (Read 10601 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Pigpen
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »
Maybe we don't recognize the talent enough in this forum.

I've been listening to the podcasts in two directions: each week's new show, and the older shows in reverse order. I'm listening to November 2008 right now.

Simply put, the Best Show wouldn't be the same without Mike. If nothing else, hearing strains of Mike dealing with callers, or laughing it up at something (related to the show or unrelated) in the other room, and hearing Tom's reactions to that - that's top notch stuff. And Mike on-mike makes for a great segment in any show.

The show was always funny, but the evolution of "the Mike character" over the years added an element that the show needed without even knowing it.

I'm also a Depravity's Rainbow fan, one of several many.

Kudos, Mike. You make something that's excellent even more excellent. That takes talent.

Post Script: Hatch is right about the acting reel.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

RickInSaltLake

• Policemans heel
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
Maybe we don't recognize the talent enough in this forum.

I've been listening to the podcasts in two directions: each week's new show, and the older shows in reverse order. I'm listening to November 2008 right now.

Simply put, the Best Show wouldn't be the same without Mike. If nothing else, hearing strains of Mike dealing with callers, or laughing it up at something (related to the show or unrelated) in the other room, and hearing Tom's reactions to that - that's top notch stuff. And Mike on-mike makes for a great segment in any show.

The show was always funny, but the evolution of "the Mike character" over the years added an element that the show needed without even knowing it.

I'm also a Depravity's Rainbow fan, one of several many.

Kudos, Mike. You make something that's excellent even more excellent. That takes talent.

Post Script: Hatch is right about the acting reel.

I would agree. But I really am dying to hear Mike's impression of Tom's AP Mike impression...

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »

I really am dying to hear Mike's impression of Tom's AP Mike impression...
Call in and ask for "Steve".
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

porchnik

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »
Pigpen's "rapping" is an atrocity, but what's even funnier is when Bob Weir, after Pigpen's death, tries to take on the horny bluesman role. Bobby's voice is suited for few things. Many would say singing is not one of those things. Scream-scatting on Good Lovin definitely isn't.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »
Pigpen's "rapping" is an atrocity, but what's even funnier is when Bob Weir, after Pigpen's death, tries to take on the horny bluesman role. Bobby's voice is suited for few things. Many would say singing is not one of those things. Scream-scatting on Good Lovin definitely isn't.
Would you provide us an example?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »

Good takedown of Bobby, and this is coming from a Deadhead.

mostlymeat

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »

Good takedown of Bobby, and this is coming from a Deadhead.

Bobby is the worst. Here are the greatful dead in order of awfulness:

1. Bob Weir - terrible singing, lame duck guitar playing
2. Mickey Hart - Even worse drumming than that other guy
3. Bill Kreutzman - one notch lower than Mickey cuz he has a cool name but yeesh, those drums stink! the sound of a hammer factory in an earthquake?
4. Jerry G - had a nice voice for like a week in '69. Sounded like a dry squirrel forevermore. Also maybe the worst lead guitar player in history?
5. Pigpen - less offensive really because it always seemed like he didn't want to be there.
6. Phil Lesh - this guy was laughing ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!

The best member of the G_DEAD is of course, Bruce Hornsby, who joined up for a few years in the '80s. That guy RULES. Check the synth bass on "The Way It Is", so sick!

-Another Ex-Deadhead

Smelodies

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 05:17:20 PM »
You've gone too far.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Is it bad that Bruce Hornsby and Steve Winwood have completely merged in my 80s memories?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »
Is it bad that Bruce Hornsby and Steve Winwood have completely merged in my 80s memories?
That's just the way it is.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 09:28:31 PM »

Dammit, done in again by the man from NPR.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »

Dammit, done in again by the man from NPR.
Roll with it, Buffy.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 12:10:25 PM »

Made my day!
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
Good.