Author Topic: A Herzog Question  (Read 4368 times)

RickInSaltLake

• Policemans heel
A Herzog Question
« on: June 22, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »
What wold be the Herzog movies to avoid?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: A Herzog Question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
I thought this was going to be:

"Would you like Werner Herzog to narrate your life as you went through your day?"

"Yes."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

RickInSaltLake

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »
That wouldn't be much of a question, would it? I mean who would possibly say "no"?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
He's directed something like 60 movies. Probably more sensible to ask which are the ones to see first, and the answer to that is just to start with the ones you've heard of: Stroszek, Fitzcarraldo, Aguirre, Grizzly Man, My Best Fiend, Bad Lieutenant: POCNO, Encounters at the End of the World.

Personally, I like his docs more than his fiction films (though I enjoyed Bad Lieutenant more than I've ever enjoyed anything else.)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
I have yet to be disappointed by a Herzog movie.  Other than that, I concur with Bryan.  There's also Burden of Dreams, which is actually a Les Blank movie, and Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe, which is actually an Errol Morris movie, but I'd say they're both essential.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »
I found Cave of Forgotten Dreams to be dull watching. I enjoyed just the droning sound of Herzog's voice, but not enough to make it all the way through.

"Ze man zey call buffcoat lazsilly pedals his bicykle arount zees streetss. He appearss to haf novere to go and nothink vaiting for him. It iss a ssad commentt on hees ssad reality."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »
I'd throw in The Enigma of Kasper Hauser. As one to start with, not to avoid.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
I'd throw in The Enigma of Kasper Hauser. As one to start with, not to avoid.

Second this and would add "Little Deiter Needs to Fly".

I thought "Into the Abyss" was just good but mediocre compared to some of his other docs like Grizzly Man and Little Deiter.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
Anyone seen his new one about the dangers of texting while driving? Smash or trash?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »
Anyone seen his new one about the dangers of texting while driving? Smash or trash?

Why would anyone text while driving? 

71 feet.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »

Why would anyone text while driving? 

71 feet.

Clearly this new work is thematically consistent with the director's earlier explorations of people given to bizarre and irrational behavior.