Author Topic: Sound collage samples  (Read 128739 times)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
Sound collage samples
« on: August 21, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »
Hey FOT,
   I see bits and pieces in the Best/Worst thread, but figured it might be nice to compile all of the pieces we can identify in one easy-to-access definitive list in a separate thread.  The whole thing intrigues me, as it's very different from what I'm used to in The Best Show, but I think that's part of the point.  I can tell some pieces, but I am curious about the source of others, so I figure the board would be the best place to go.  Additions don't need to be added in the specific chronological order they were added in the show, but being as specific to the original source would be helpful, if possible.  Thanks, in advance!  Here's what I've got, so far, off the top of my head:

Frankie Teardrop by Suicide
Pigpen's "jams" with Grateful Dead
Chuck Woolery's ads for (virtually painfree) catheters
Another Chuck Woolery ad.  (I can't remember the product)
A voice repeating "SPRING BREAK".  (Source?)
Nick Swardson thanking an audience for supporting Grandma's Boy
An excerpt from Andrew Dice Clay's "Hour Back...Get It?" bit on "The Day The Laughter Died"(?)
A bit from Andrew Dice Clay's podcast mentioning something along the lines of "Your podcast is your podcast, my podcast is my podcast".  (Episode/context?)
The opening syllable of "SOME!" from Smash Mouth's "All Star"
Andy Kindler's imitation riff of Pigpen's innuendo-laden ramblings.
Seth Green talking about trying to get a movie made(? Source?)
A call on a conservative radio call-in show about police using necessary force to take care of criminals.

I think that's about all I've got for now.  Thanks, again, for any help in keeping this up to date!

-Zach

citizenlewis

• Policemans heel
Re: Audio Collage Pieces
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
Hey FOT,
   I see bits and pieces in the Best/Worst thread, but figured it might be nice to compile all of the pieces we can identify in one easy-to-access definitive list in a separate thread.  The whole thing intrigues me, as it's very different from what I'm used to in The Best Show, but I think that's part of the point.  I can tell some pieces, but I am curious about the source of others, so I figure the board would be the best place to go.  Additions don't need to be added in the specific chronological order they were added in the show, but being as specific to the original source would be helpful, if possible.  Thanks, in advance!  Here's what I've got, so far, off the top of my head:

Frankie Teardrop by Suicide
Pigpen's "jams" with Grateful Dead
Chuck Woolery's ads for (virtually painfree) catheters
Another Chuck Woolery ad.  (I can't remember the product)
Nick Swardson thanking an audience for supporting Grandma's Boy
An excerpt from Andrew Dice Clay's "Hour Back...Get It?" bit on "The Day The Laughter Died"(?)
A bit from Andrew Dice Clay's podcast mentioning something along the lines of "Your podcast is your podcast, my podcast is my podcast".  (Episode/context?)
The opening syllable of "SOME!" from Smash Mouth's "All Star"
Andy Kindler's imitation riff of Pigpen's innuendo-laden ramblings.
A call on a conservative radio call-in show about police using necessary force to take care of criminals.

I think that's about all I've got for now.  Thanks, again, for any help in keeping this up to date!

-Zach

Thanks Zach.  I was just asking this.
Someone please put this week's sound collage in a time capsule and preserve it for the rest of time
Can anyone identify all the clips from Tommy Teardrop?
"Hi, I'm Dennis", "my podcast is my podcast", "the movie got accepted at Sundance" etc.

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:22:59 PM »
The scene from the Master where he walks to the wall and back
Dinging bell is from Breaking Bad when nursing home blows up?
Opening section from Street Hassle.
Opening notes from One by Aimmee Mann
Hi I'm Dennis from Best Show Four Loko Christmas Party
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

ColbyCheese

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »

I think "Spring Break" is James Franco in Spring Breakers.

I know the Seth Green bit is from his interview with Marc Maron on WTF.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
I was thinking Breaking Bad, initially, for the bell, but I don't quite think it sounds right, at least not from the nursing home scene, where it's dinged pretty repeatedly, in a rapid succession.  Also, how could I forget "Hi, I'm Dennis!"?  I figured "Spring Break" might have been from Spring Breakers, but I haven't seen it.  Doesn't sound much like Franco to me, but I don't know.  Thanks for the responses, so far!  Let's keep it up!

-Zach

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:30:43 PM »
The Dice "podcast" line is from "Rollin' with Dice & Wheels" #8. He's talking to Tom Green.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »
I'm getting in the habit of using twitter to crowd-source questions I have about the #ScharplingMegaMix

Last night's version included clips or Michael Richards doing his desultory apology on Letterman -- that's Richards doing the weird "forcefield of hostility" rant.

Kelsey Grammer falling off a stage ("pretending I was a UN Interpreter UMMPH GOOD LORD!")

Some heartbeat-like percussion sounds from the opening section of Pink Floyd's "Time" (I think the sound appears on other songs or between songs on "Dark Side of the Moon")

The Chromatics song "Tick of the Clock", which appears on the soundtrack to the movie "Drive"
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »
"Hi I'm Dennis" gets more hilarious with every repetition.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 12:06:32 AM »

So does "UMPH GOOD LORD." It's cruel, but whaddayagonnado?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:07 AM »

Opening section from Street Hassle.

Violin and Cello riff from the title song of Lou Reed's 1978 album "Street Hassle"

Opening notes from One by Aimmee Mann

Aimee's amazing  version of "One" the 1969 hit single by Three Dog Night (written by Harry Nillson)

Hi I'm Dennis from Best Show Four Loko Christmas Party

Still the best thing ever.

Everybody ... feel free to make further investigations into #Music. And #Dennis

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
Michael Richard's apology on Lettermen for being a racist on stage.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »

Anyone know this one?

wood and iron

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 07:18:01 PM »
Richard Dreyfuss in "What About Bob" saying the "then he can wear my slicker!" line.

wood and iron

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »
Is anyone making mp3s of these collages?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »

So does "UMPH GOOD LORD." It's cruel, but whaddayagonnado?

Special props to Tom this time for letting it run up through "I... think I'm okay." That's always a bonus.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau