Author Topic: Sound collage samples  (Read 128750 times)

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
Re: Audio Collage Pieces
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
Hey FOT,
   I see bits and pieces in the Best/Worst thread, but figured it might be nice to compile all of the pieces we can identify in one easy-to-access definitive list in a separate thread.  The whole thing intrigues me, as it's very different from what I'm used to in The Best Show, but I think that's part of the point.  I can tell some pieces, but I am curious about the source of others, so I figure the board would be the best place to go.  Additions don't need to be added in the specific chronological order they were added in the show, but being as specific to the original source would be helpful, if possible.  Thanks, in advance!  Here's what I've got, so far, off the top of my head:

Frankie Teardrop by Suicide
Pigpen's "jams" with Grateful Dead
Chuck Woolery's ads for (virtually painfree) catheters
Another Chuck Woolery ad.  (I can't remember the product)
A voice repeating "SPRING BREAK".  (Source?)
Nick Swardson thanking an audience for supporting Grandma's Boy
An excerpt from Andrew Dice Clay's "Hour Back...Get It?" bit on "The Day The Laughter Died"(?)
A bit from Andrew Dice Clay's podcast mentioning something along the lines of "Your podcast is your podcast, my podcast is my podcast".  (Episode/context?)
The opening syllable of "SOME!" from Smash Mouth's "All Star"
Andy Kindler's imitation riff of Pigpen's innuendo-laden ramblings.
Seth Green talking about trying to get a movie made(? Source?)
A call on a conservative radio call-in show about police using necessary force to take care of criminals.

I think that's about all I've got for now.  Thanks, again, for any help in keeping this up to date!

-Zach
   Hey Zach, want to take a stab at IDs for the collage in its most recent incarnation (9/10/2013)? Lots there I have no clue about

The Seth Green quote is from his WTF interview, and he was talking about the movie Party Monster that he did with McCauley Culkin.

I think in the "my podcast is your podcast clip" Dice is talking to Tom Green, because you here Green's voice for a second before Dice cuts him off.

Some other clips I noticed:

The Fraiser theme song, followed by Kelsey Grammar falling.
Porcupine Pie (obviously!)
the "tick-tock" sound from Dark Side of the Moon
Chris Hardwick talking about nerds and yelling "NERDS!!!!"

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2013, 11:07:41 PM »
Milo going "what?"

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2013, 12:21:30 AM »
He also included audio from the Pruane Drive-jacket video.

BTW, I loved how he went from the Queen song into the audio collage this time around.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
Hey FOT,
   I see bits and pieces in the Best/Worst thread, but figured it might be nice to compile all of the pieces we can identify in one easy-to-access definitive list in a separate thread.  The whole thing intrigues me, as it's very different from what I'm used to in The Best Show, but I think that's part of the point.  I can tell some pieces, but I am curious about the source of others, so I figure the board would be the best place to go.  Additions don't need to be added in the specific chronological order they were added in the show, but being as specific to the original source would be helpful, if possible.  Thanks, in advance!  Here's what I've got, so far, off the top of my head:

Frankie Teardrop by Suicide
Pigpen's "jams" with Grateful Dead
Chuck Woolery's ads for (virtually painfree) catheters
Another Chuck Woolery ad.  (I can't remember the product)
A voice repeating "SPRING BREAK".  (Source?)
Nick Swardson thanking an audience for supporting Grandma's Boy
An excerpt from Andrew Dice Clay's "Hour Back...Get It?" bit on "The Day The Laughter Died"(?)
A bit from Andrew Dice Clay's podcast mentioning something along the lines of "Your podcast is your podcast, my podcast is my podcast".  (Episode/context?)
The opening syllable of "SOME!" from Smash Mouth's "All Star"
Andy Kindler's imitation riff of Pigpen's innuendo-laden ramblings.
Seth Green talking about trying to get a movie made(? Source?)
A call on a conservative radio call-in show about police using necessary force to take care of criminals.

I think that's about all I've got for now.  Thanks, again, for any help in keeping this up to date!

-Zach
   Hey Zach, want to take a stab at IDs for the collage in its most recent incarnation (9/10/2013)? Lots there I have no clue about

Hey,
   I think a few others have already mentioned the ones I can remember as new additions, off the top of my head.  This thread is basically for anyone who wants to chime in and add updates or help identify things I missed from the earlier incarnations, or just better clarify their sources.  If it's wanted, I can go back and update the initial post with new stuff, for an easy-to-access, all-encompassing archive of what has been called out.

Otherwise, I just want to mention that the use of Kelsey Grammer singing the Frasier song, cut off by his classic fall, with perfect timing on the switch, was pretty brilliant, and I laughed out loud each time I heard it, on the ride home on Tuesday night.

-Zach

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »
It seems there are like three main themes developing: the Frankie Teardrop/Chromatics "Drive" song portion is like a descent into Hell (or the Hate Pit) with the more diabolical clips- "Spring Break", "Bayonne...", "Hi everyone I'm Chuck Woolery. If we all live long enough we experience arthritis pain", with Dice's breakdown (I forget if Michael Richards strange explanation for his racism was in the last one but it would fit perfectly here). 

Then the mood changes to upbeat with Porcupine Pie- more playful clips like "NERDS!" "Toss salad and scrambled eggs- Oooooh God...uugh", "You think you're colder than me?", "Hi I'm Dennis", "Thanks for supporting Grandma's Boy". 

Then closure with the opening of Street Hassle "could take an hour BACK! GET IT?"  Tying the whole thing in one piece is "Do you have puppy dogs he he he" 

I think a great item for a pledge drive would be an extended 45 minute version on an mp3 file of the Ultimate Best Show Collage.

Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
I would love to get a file of all the audio collages strung together from end to end and listen to them in one sitting.

Did you guys notice how Tom made sure to reference the Pruane Drive-jacket video in this discussion with Gabe? Then, it was in the audio collage later.

He's doing a great job of tying all the segments of the show together: Talking about corrupt Councilman Big Jim Rennie in Under the Dome, then getting a call from corrupt Alderman Shorter. Then, he segues right into the Queen song, which fades into the Audio Collage, which refers back to the Under the Dome discussion.

It really is amazing.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
My two suggestions for the collage are:

Jay Leno bombing.

http://wikisend.com/download/453480/LenoCaseyAnthony.wav

Spike singing the National Anthem. I chopped them up into Spike's individual segments, as well as a long version of Spike and Tom duetting.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lw42xi

On that note one of my favorite Spike moments was when Tom got him to sing a Christmas Carol (Deck the Halls?) and Tom started speeding up and slowing down and then berated Spike for getting out of sync when 'I'm making some Christmas magic here. Heave ho!' No idea what show that was (aside from it being a December one)...

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
Paul Stanley freaking out over the laser pointer guy and Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" are two new clips I remember from this week.

The repetition of Ice Cube's "yeah-yay" was perfectly timed at that one point in Porcupine Pie.

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
Also:
the Beatles' "Mr. Moonlight"
A few other Ice Cube clips
Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"
Jerry Seinfeld explaining his Barry Bee character for Bee Movie
I believe Yes's "Roundabout"

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »
At the end of "Mr. Moonlight" is a sound effect by Tom.

This goes back to one of the funniest stories he's ever told. He went to a Beatles convention. A strange group of fans was hanging around; every once in awhile one would sing a song, and the group would all join in.

The room got quiet, one of the fans screwed up his courage and belted out "Misterrrrrrrrrrrr.... Moonlight!" and...  Well, I won't spoil it, but that's where the clip comes from.

I think it's this one: March 27, 2012: Tom went to another Beatles convention, and things got weird!

http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=44467&archive=76836
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »
The isolated scream is from former Best Show theme 'Do It' by Rollins Bad.

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
At the end of "Mr. Moonlight" is a sound effect by Tom.

This goes back to one of the funniest stories he's ever told. He went to a Beatles convention. A strange group of fans was hanging around; every once in awhile one would sing a song, and the group would all join in.

The room got quiet, one of the fans screwed up his courage and belted out "Misterrrrrrrrrrrr.... Moonlight!" and...  Well, I won't spoil it, but that's where the clip comes from.

I think it's this one: March 27, 2012: Tom went to another Beatles convention, and things got weird!

http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=44467&archive=76836

It's from March 29, 2011

Beatlefest story begins at 2:42:00, with Mr. Moonlight incident starting at 2:53:50
http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=39752&archive=68062

Frank the Painter

• Policemans heel
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure that in the first or second version of the collage there is a clip of what sounds like Spike calling into a radio station about Heroes & Villains (the song trivia contest- I think his guess was Help Me Rhonda).

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure that in the first or second version of the collage there is a clip of what sounds like Spike calling into a radio station about Heroes & Villains (the song trivia contest- I think his guess was Help Me Rhonda).

How the hell would Tom have found that??
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Frank the Painter

• Policemans heel
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »
I actually assumed Spike sent it to him for some reason. Or maybe Spike frequently calls into that show and someone caught it.