Author Topic: Sound collage samples  (Read 128755 times)

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Audio Collage Pieces
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
I believe he genuinely has a place in his heart for Dice, if only for that "Hour Back" bit that someone also planted in MY head years ago.  Dice is pretty plainly what he is, but there is something about the concept behind that album and that bit in particular that is just... wonderfully ridiculous in so many ways.  I think he loves Dice in the way that he loves Morton Downey Jr.  Or hates Dice in the same way he does Morton Downey Jr.  Whichever.

As for the rest of the bits... some are just funny (AP Mike), some he's making fun of (Kelsey's metier), some in-between... but perhaps it's better to analyze it less and simply enjoy.

Understand - I'm talking completely and totally to myself when I say that.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »
A fun, new, unexpected addition was some dialogue from that cult classic, Weekend At Bernie's, featuring the majority of the lines of a former child actor I know pretty well.

-Zach

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »
As for the rest of the bits... some are just funny (AP Mike), some he's making fun of (Kelsey's metier), some in-between... but perhaps it's better to analyze it less and simply enjoy.

I'm sure that by posting this here I'm insuring that it will never happen, but I'm a little sad that "They killed the Giggler!" hasn't made an appearance yet.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

stepheninchicago

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
Last nights collage was such a masterpiece.

Was that Brother JC Crawford before the Keillor intro (Under the hand of doom break?)

cameron

• Policemans heel
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »
Marquee Moon!

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2013, 12:36:48 AM »
This week's was great, but the two times that "Porcupine Pie" has come up, I've had the song stuck in my head the rest of the day after hearing it.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
I've been skipping over The Gift for so long (like, 25 years) that I forgot how heavy the music was.

Oh hey, I didn't know about this!

The Velvet Underground - The Gift ("Booker T." Instrumental)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »
I've been skipping over The Gift for so long (like, 25 years) that I forgot how heavy the music was.

Oh hey, I didn't know about this!

So great.

"Now you can look at that band and wonder where
All that sound was coming from
With just 4 people there.

Twangy sounds of the cheapest types,
Sounds as stark as black and white stripes,
Bold and brash, sharp and rude,
Like the heats turned off
And you're low on food.
How in the world were they making that sound?
Velvet Underground."

--Jonathan Richman
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

not that clay

« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »
My parents got a vcr in 1984 (to record the olympics, of course). I was 12. I used to tape Letterman every night and watch it in the morning (I thought Letterman was great because I watched his morning show when I was little and thought his bit with the sea monkeys was hilarious). They ran this commercial a lot:

Lou Reed 1984 Honda ad

It took me a while to figure out it was Lou Reed. Before that somehow I got it in my head it was the Moody Blues. I listened to a bunch of terrible albums trying to find the song from the commercial. Eventually I figured out it was Lou Reed (maybe I finally noticed the posters in the commercial?) and looked him up in the card catalog at the library. They had the "Rock and Roll Diary" double album compilation. I probably had that checked out all of 1985 and 1986. That's how I got into the Velvet Underground.  Thanks, Honda. (This feels like a Gregulator story. You're welcome, everybody.)

not that clay

« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that that other clip is The Gift minus vocals.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2013, 12:03:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure unless memory fails that the original stereo pressings of White Light/White Heat had the spoken word part of "The Gift" all the way over on one channel and the instrumental "Booker T" all the way on the other. So it was a simple matter for some genius to reproduce the instrumental on both channels and come up with a monster mono jam. Wow.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2013, 01:39:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure unless memory fails that the original stereo pressings of White Light/White Heat had the spoken word part of "The Gift" all the way over on one channel and the instrumental "Booker T" all the way on the other. So it was a simple matter for some genius to reproduce the instrumental on both channels and come up with a monster mono jam. Wow.

The part with the isolated John Cale brought back some memories for me. When I was in college I roomed in a place with a bunch of stoners, and one of them was a really funny dude named Jim. People liked to hang out in Jim's room and listen to LPs. The experience was enhanced by sitting in the "energy dome" which was a vintage beauty store blow-dryer chair that Jim had trashpicked. There were a few weeks where one of the speakers on Jim's stereo was blown out. This had a pronounced effect on listening to records with gratuitous channel separation.

So I have a memory of listening to The Gift while sitting "under the dome". It was pretty much an isolated track of Cale's narration, with a very faint, almost subliminal hint of the left-channel instrumental. And all these years later, Tom has brought a facsimile of this experience to a larger dome of listernership(s).

"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

not that clay

« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2013, 02:12:12 AM »

That's what wikipedia says anyway.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
I thought this song was by Marky Mark?!0

Seriously, who *doesn't* want that version of New York back? Damn you, Guiliani!

My parents got a vcr in 1984 (to record the olympics, of course). I was 12. I used to tape Letterman every night and watch it in the morning (I thought Letterman was great because I watched his morning show when I was little and thought his bit with the sea monkeys was hilarious). They ran this commercial a lot:

Lou Reed 1984 Honda ad

It took me a while to figure out it was Lou Reed. Before that somehow I got it in my head it was the Moody Blues. I listened to a bunch of terrible albums trying to find the song from the commercial. Eventually I figured it was Lou Reed (maybe I finally noticed the posters in the commercial?) and looked him up in the card catalog at the library. The had the "Rock and Roll Diary" double album compilation. I probably had that checked out all of 1985 and 1986. That's how I got into the Velvet Underground.  Thanks, Honda. (This feels like a Gregulator story. You're welcome, everybody.)
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
I assume that was Tony Curtis talking about John Lennon. You know who I wonder about?  That guy backstage that Paul Stanley was talking to, who told him that a lot of the audience members like drinking vodka and orange juice. How did this person know this?  And are all of Paul Stanley's backstage conversations this fascinating?