Author Topic: Things Tom and The Best Show Taught Me  (Read 16443 times)

ShiftlessRastus

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Things Tom and The Best Show Taught Me
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
*bump in honor of The Best Show 2014*

Tom is great at bursting some of my musical bubbles, in a good way. He made me realize that Tom Waits was kind of a phony. He informed me that the Pixies were a terrible live band. He made me take a long, hard look in the mirror and admit that about 80% of Frank Zappa's music was unlistenable. That last one hurt, but it saved me money, time, and friendships.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
i still love Tom Waits! and the blues, and the Old 97s. :)
Your vigor for life appalls me.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »
Rhett Miller was great on WTF.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

ShiftlessRastus

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »

Yeah, I could have made my point better. In other words, he taught me to have a critical eye towards "cool" and/or "untouchable" artists. Tom is even critical of people he likes when they do something sub-par, which was a valuable lesson for me when I was a younger listener. I still listen to some of the artists in Tom's "trash-it" category... with a grain of salt.

tinyYeti

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2014, 06:05:57 PM »
After years of watching and listening from the sidelines, I finally got logged into the FOT forum! Today (christmas day 2014, merry christmas to me!) This show means ... just. so. much. to me.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
Tom introduced or reintroduced me to so much good music: ABBA, Paul McCartney, J Dilla, Jay Reatard, DC Snipers, Spider Bags, GbV, Ted Leo, Wu-Tang Clan, Big Dipper, Love, Volcano Suns.  I knew a lot of it, even most of it, but he made me a fan.

He also made me considerably less pretentious.  Sometimes it's okay to just be entertaining.

Saw Bob Weston with Shellac last night,  the way he ran the "Q and A" portions of the show was very Tom-like.