Author Topic: Looking for these past shows  (Read 10612 times)

mollymax

• Plantar Fasciitis
Looking for these past shows
« on: November 23, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
Hi all-

Longtime lurker and now that the show is winding down, figured I should probably come out of my shell a bit..

I've been trying to collect all the past Best Show episodes and between downloading the podcast or recording the streaming files, I've managed to collect all but 20 shows.

Below are the ones I'd love to track down. I'm happy to share any of the shows I've got for these. Actually, I'm happy to share anyway even if you don't have anything I'm looking for. It looks like people have asked for shows in the past, but if it's not cool to do here, please let me know...

Here's my hollowed list:
•   June 27, 2006: No Archive. Why? Cuz It Was A Horrible Show. Tom Is Going Away To 'Recharge His Batteries'. Maybe For A Week. Maybe More. While He's Gone, Think About Doing Your Part. It Wouldnt Hurt If You Called Once In Awhile Rather Than Just Chatting Away In The Chat
•   March 7, 2006: Yo La Tengo play live. Archive not available.
•   October 18, 2005: Andy From Lake Newbridge Calls In. Fun Stuff. Going Well... Then The Show Goes Off The Rails. Next Week Is No Dudes Allowed! Ladies Only!
•   October 11, 2005: Horse From 'The Jock Squad' Calls, An Appearance By Comedy Legend Matt Walsh, Smash Or Trash With The Barbarellatones, And New Songs From Petey And MC Steinberg. A Fun Show!
•   March 15, 2005: The annual Yo La Tengo request-a-thon with Tom Scharpling and Gaylord Fields. Listeners called in, pledged for a song, and then watched the band play their request! Archive unavailable.
•   February 8, 2005: A Guy From The Band Old Skull Calls In. Philly Boy Roy Post-Superbowl Defeat. Petey's Grandmother Cries. And Talk Of The Spectacular 'Puppy Bowl'!
•   January 18, 2005: Back With A Bang! One Of Tom's Buddies Mistakes Him For Another Friend. Skag Winesack Checks Back In. Cleaning House In The '05. And Bill Goffrier From Big Dipper Finally Calls! The Reunion Is Starting To Take Shape!
•   December 14, 2004: An In-Studio Appearance By The Great Todd Barry. And An Outrageous Phone Call From Hippy Businessman 'Hippy Johnny'. A Great Show, If I Do Say So Myself. And I'm My Harshest Critic.
•   June 15, 2004 Tom Introduces The Word 'Awfulsome' To The Lexicon. And A Wonderful Call From Kid Ebay That Goes Horribly Wrong. And Horribly Right!
•   January 6, 2004: (Show One) Tom Talks To An Angry Record Promo Guy. Tom Talks To 'Extreme Dad'. Tom Talks About Who Is A Factory Wrapped Douche. Archive Taken Down at the request of Tom.
•   December 30, 2003:The 2003 Artist Of The Year Tribute Show Collapses Under Its Own Weight. Also, A Very Exciting Call From Timmy The Two-Inch Racist.
•   December 23, 2003: A Pre-Christmas Show, With A Call To Gene Simmons Toyota And The Return Of Skag Winesack. Also, Officer Tom Stops By!
•   October 14, 2003: A Call From Paul 'Golf Nuts' Shwartzendruber, And An Increasingly Annoying Round Of 'Getting To Know You', Which Devolves Into Tom Breaking Down.
•   July 1, 2003: An Annoying Audiophile Calls In Complaining About The Station. Petey Records A 'Gay Bar' Remix On The Air, And Stuntman Creekwood Banks Checks In.
•   May 7, 2002: Tonight's Best Show, With Exclusive Attack Of The Clones Discussion, Is NOT Being Archived! If You Didn't Hear It Live, You're Out Of Luck! That'll Teach You To Watch The Osbournes Instead Of Listening To The Best Show!
•   September 4, 2001: Tom Talks To The Coolest Guy On Earth, And Tom Talks To Roger Tamblyn, Manager Of Bands Like The Inspiral Carpets And Gaye Bikers On Acid. Also, Tom Talks To Today's Youth About Returning To School.
•   January 23, 2001 : A Chat with Maurice Kern, Head of Citizens For A True Democracy.
•   January 9, 2001
•   December 26, 2000: Tom Talks to Dick Halligan, Jr., author of Blood, Sweat and Real Tears. (Archive removed at request of David Clayton Thomas.)
•   December 12, 2000

Any help would be more than appreciated!!!!

Thanks all-
Chris

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Looking for these past shows
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 04:39:50 PM »
These (or at least some of these) are available on Bit Torrent.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »
I could be wrong but don't they remove ones that have bits used in the Scharpling-Wurster CDs? Maybe a few of your missing are those

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 08:17:35 PM »
To my knowledge, no one has 5 of the shows you list.  I don't think any MP3 elves were paying sufficient attention to the show at that point.

The Star Wars and Blood Sweat and Tears shows are out there.

This site (http://buffcoat.blogspot.com) lists all the shows for which the archives don't exist and why.

To recap: to my knowledge, the only Best Show archives that don't exist in any form anywhere in the wild are:

•   July 1, 2003: An Annoying Audiophile Calls In Complaining About The Station. Petey Records A 'Gay Bar' Remix On The Air, And Stuntman Creekwood Banks Checks In.
•   September 4, 2001: Tom Talks To The Coolest Guy On Earth, And Tom Talks To Roger Tamblyn, Manager Of Bands Like The Inspiral Carpets And Gaye Bikers On Acid. Also, Tom Talks To Today's Youth About Returning To School.
•   January 23, 2001: A Chat with Maurice Kern, Head of Citizens For A True Democracy.
•   January 9, 2001
•   December 12, 2000

In addition, the eight shows that were sent out as part of the premium have cuts out of them for the calls that were put on the CDs. So no full original Gorch call, for example, though the rest of that show is out there.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 01:54:47 AM »
The mp3 elves disappoint me (but what can you expect from elves?). Hopefully the missing shows will be unearthed or released at some point (unless Tom wants them to stay buried forever).

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:28:29 AM »
I thought I had this:

•   June 27, 2006: No Archive. Why? Cuz It Was A Horrible Show. Tom Is Going Away To 'Recharge His Batteries'. Maybe For A Week. Maybe More. While He's Gone, Think About Doing Your Part. It Wouldnt Hurt If You Called Once In Awhile Rather Than Just Chatting Away In The Chat

... but I have yet to find it.  I definitely had it at one point because the .mp3 was used to do the recap since the show was never archived.

http://www.recidivism.org/2006/07/fever_pitch.html

(I hate when those YouTube embeds go dark.)
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 10:31:34 AM »
Holy Moses, Omar. Is that the minutes from one episode? Amazing! Guess if I can't hear the infamous ep it's all right there...thanks!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
Holy Moses, Omar. Is that the minutes from one episode? Amazing! Guess if I can't hear the infamous ep it's all right there...thanks!
Enjoy your first step into the complex and word wise world of Omar.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »

Are you saying there's more where that came from, or did Omar only do that for unreleased eps? I guess I should start splorin'!

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »

Are you saying there's more where that came from, or did Omar only do that for unreleased eps?

http://www.recidivism.org/tbsowfmu/

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »

Are you saying there's more where that came from?
Cascading reams of recapping poetry.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
On this one

July 1, 2003: An Annoying Audiophile Calls In Complaining About The Station. Petey Records A 'Gay Bar' Remix On The Air, And Stuntman Creekwood Banks Checks In.

It's odd because both the full Audiophile call and the Creekwood Banks call are out there but not the episode.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

worm@work

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »
I've been trying to download that torrent with the first 100 episodes for a while now but can't seem to find any seeders. If any of you have those episodes and would be willing to share it either via a private torrent or some other means, I'll be forever grateful. Best Xmas gift I could hope for really.

Einstein_Concubine

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
Where have all the 2009-2013 archives gone this week?

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »
Can anyone point me to the episode where one of Jon's characters (I forget which one) describes the final episode of The Andy Griffith Show?