Author Topic: Dave Hill to take over Tom's slot  (Read 18777 times)

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
Dave Hill to take over Tom's slot
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
Tom Scharpling announced last month that his beloved, long-running radio show/podcast The Best Show on WFMU will be ending its run on December 17th after 13 years on the air, and it looks like the station has found a replacement. New Jersey-based station WFMU has tapped comedian Dave Hill to take over the Tuesday 9pm to midnight slot currently occupied by Best Show, Current.org reports. Hill and WFMU station manager Ken Freedman are still figuring out exactly what the comedian's untitled show will be, but it may include interviews.

"I think he’s really funny,” Scharpling said of Hill. "I’ll support him however I can. My goal is to finish up these shows and take a break." Freedman sought to find a replacement who previously had been a guest on Best Show and who would appeal to some of Scharpling's fanbase. Hill's show will presumably launch in early 2014.

For those unfamiliar with Dave Hill, he hosts a live show, The Dave Hill Explosion, at UCB NY, and a podcast, Dave Hill's Podcasting Incident, on the Maximum Fun network. His first book, a collection of essays called Tasteful Nudes, was released by St. Martin's last year. For more, you can read an interview we did Hill when the book was released.

http://splitsider.com/2013/11/dave-hill-will-take-over-tom-scharplings-best-show-slot-on-wfmu/

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Dave Hill to take over Tom's slot
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:16:33 PM »
Appeared on this show:

May 22, 2012: CHRIS GETHARD's worst idea ever. Atlantic City. Dumpster woes. Calls from Newbridge High class presidential candidate Mike Wilkens & his campaign manager, Kyle. Entertainer DAVE HILL, author of “Tasteful Nudes”, and comedian NICK FLANAGAN in studio!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:29:32 AM »
I was hoping for Hodgman.

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:29:09 AM »
Dave Hill ‏@mrdavehill 15h

The original working title for "Boardwalk Empire" was "Guys in Old Timey Outfits Shooting Each Other in the Face."

Dave Hill ‏@mrdavehill 24 Nov

In her most private of private moments, I bet that Rihanna rips some pretty crazy farts.

It's not a competition or anything, but I held Michael Jackson's wiener plenty of times too. Just saying.

--

Yeah. Not all that excited about this.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

industrialmagic

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 03:52:59 AM »
u kno what happens when a national treasure is replaed???

IT DIES

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »

I was hoping for Mike.

In fact, I think it's straight up insulting to Mike that it isn't Mike taking over.

If WFMU want to carry the audience over from TBS to a new shpw, then that would be how.

I know nothing at all about Dave Hill, never heard of him or anything he's done but now I'm starting off pissed at him, just because he isn't Mike.

Yes I know that is unreasonable.

"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:15:22 AM »

Mike should have at least gotten a shot.

Valley Lodge is a good band.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:18:51 AM »

I was hoping for Mike.

In fact, I think it's straight up insulting to Mike that it isn't Mike taking over.

If WFMU want to carry the audience over from TBS to a new shpw, then that would be how.

I know nothing at all about Dave Hill, never heard of him or anything he's done but now I'm starting off pissed at him, just because he isn't Mike.

I agree.

I'm willing to give Dave Hill a chance, but I do think that Mike was cheated here. He earned and deserved that time slot.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »
Yikes. Dave Hill rubs me the wrongest of ways. I would much rather hear Mike do a three-hour long recap of Dancing With the Stars.

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
Depravity's Rainbow could be the "Facts of Life" to the Best Show's "Diff'rent Strokes." Spinoff, baby! Hatch Patch is funny as hell too- perhaps the "Hello Larry" of this analogy.

Mike has been on some next level shi... er, stuff as of late- subtle one minute and clubbing listeners over the head the next. His book review of The Bible should be a Best Show Gem even though it wasn't on The Best Show.

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »
Tasteful Nudes by Dave Hill: The Incredible Book Trailer Music Video (cleaner version)

"Tasteful Nudes, it's a book I wrote all by myself. Tasteful Nudes, it makes the Great Gatsby seem like bullsh*bleep*."

Can't wait. SO funny.

And yeah, Mike got robbed. After watching that dreck, watch the AP Mike Day video. The difference in quality is incredible.

Also, how the hell does this clown (who someone the other night in a chat far far away referred to as "a gay Oscar Wilde") get a book deal? Why doesn't AP Mike have a book deal?
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

mostlymeat

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:18:28 PM »
Dave Hill ‏@mrdavehill 15h

The original working title for "Boardwalk Empire" was "Guys in Old Timey Outfits Shooting Each Other in the Face."

In her most private of private moments, I bet that Rihanna rips some pretty crazy farts.

It's not a competition or anything, but I held Michael Jackson's wiener plenty of times too. Just saying.

--

Yeah. Not all that excited about this.

It's not about who the host of the new show is. It's about losing Tom. The show is Tom, Tom's what I want, Tom is what I will miss. There is only one Tom.

I love Mike too and would love to hear him on the radio post-Tom but at the end of the day it's all about Tom. I'm really going to miss Tom!

But I'm sure Tom will be podcasting or something. Why would you abandon the thing that makes you great and that everybody loves you for?

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
I hope Mike is still on the air with another show.

mostlymeat

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »
Depravity's Rainbow could be the "Facts of Life" to the Best Show's "Diff'rent Strokes." Spinoff, baby! Hatch Patch is funny as hell too- perhaps the "Hello Larry" of this analogy.

They couldn't get Nancy Mckean to replace Therese so they gave up this idea.

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »
Therese and Mike have a fantastic repartee. Plus, adding DP to the roster would contribute to an increased gender balance. WFMU's ladies are heavy hitters, I know there are many more out there.

I'm gonna give Dave Hill a chance- listening to his podcast right now. Not bad...