Author Topic: The Return of The Best Show  (Read 91680 times)

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Return of The Best Show
« Reply #345 on: November 18, 2014, 09:05:35 PM »
The secret meetings have started.

Sounds like they're not secret anymore.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #346 on: November 22, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #347 on: November 22, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
The secret meetings have started.

Sounds like they're not secret anymore.

Sounds like the Klan.

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #348 on: November 25, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »
Tom said on the new Todd Barry Podcast episode that the Best Show will be back on the air before December ends. There will be advertising - not subscription based.

amc19

• Policemans heel
« Reply #349 on: November 25, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
http://www.feralaudio.com/74-tom-scharpling/

Link to the pod. We're so close!

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #350 on: November 25, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »
http://www.feralaudio.com/74-tom-scharpling/

Link to the pod. We're so close!

No paywall. No subscriptions. Advertising based. Brendon McDonald, Marc Maron's producer who lives in NYC is helping Tom out with some things but a lot of it Tom is doing himself.

FredN.

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #351 on: November 26, 2014, 09:10:18 AM »
No paywall. No subscriptions. Advertising based. Brendon McDonald, Marc Maron's producer who lives in NYC is helping Tom out with some things but a lot of it Tom is doing himself.

AND there will probably be some LIVE touring shows. And its still 3 hours. AND I can't wait.
Question: how will he incorporate music like on the old radio show, what with rights, royalties, etc.? Will it be more like the old podcast w/ music absent?

warmachine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #352 on: November 26, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
I've got to get a copy of The Pamphlet.

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #353 on: November 26, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »

AND there will probably be some LIVE touring shows. And its still 3 hours. AND I can't wait.
Question: how will he incorporate music like on the old radio show, what with rights, royalties, etc.? Will it be more like the old podcast w/ music absent?

Probably something similar to the WFMU thing where he could play the music on the show but chop that from the podcasts.

FredN.

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #354 on: November 26, 2014, 12:48:55 PM »

Probably something similar to the WFMU thing where he could play the music on the show but chop that from the podcasts.
[/quote]

But his show will still be live, which means that he would be broadcasting songs, over the internet and on a commercial show with advertisers, etc. I believe he will have to follow the same rights and royalties rules as any other broadcaster. Can't use songs in one's commercial activity without paying the artists. WFMU had those bases covered obviously, but I think this will be a big difference.

Don't get me wrong - I could never listen live in the past, so I've always been a podcast listener. Sometimes I'd get bummed that I didn't get to hear the music, but I was always in it for the Mirth and Mayhem!

djtyler

• Policemans heel
« Reply #355 on: November 26, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »
Tom was kind enough to call into my college radio show last night. We talked for about 45 minutes about the new Best Show and other stuff. I haven't listened to the Todd Barry episode yet, but he had mostly similar things to say from what you guys are reporting. December, Brendon McDonald, ads. He told me that he had received offers from podcast networks, radio, etc but none of them felt right. I also asked him if there was any plan to have more than The Best Show (like a Best Show network with multiple shows) and he said there is no plan right now, he is busy making The Best Show great.

When I get back from Thanksgiving, I will get the recording and share it with anyone who is interested. It was so damn generous of Tom to call into my dumb show. I am more excited than ever for the return!

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #356 on: November 26, 2014, 03:29:07 PM »

But his show will still be live, which means that he would be broadcasting songs, over the internet and on a commercial show with advertisers, etc. I believe he will have to follow the same rights and royalties rules as any other broadcaster. Can't use songs in one's commercial activity without paying the artists. WFMU had those bases covered obviously, but I think this will be a big difference.

Don't get me wrong - I could never listen live in the past, so I've always been a podcast listener. Sometimes I'd get bummed that I didn't get to hear the music, but I was always in it for the Mirth and Mayhem!
[/quote]

I feel like he could get permission from several labels to play their stuff. Merge, Matador, Goner, Burger, are a few that come to mind. Then again music licensing is more complicated than that so we'll see.

Tom was kind enough to call into my college radio show last night...

Cool to see Tom doing this! He might be doing mine soon too!

FredN.

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #357 on: November 26, 2014, 03:30:24 PM »
Tom was kind enough to call into my college radio show last night. We talked for about 45 minutes about the new Best Show and other stuff. I haven't listened to the Todd Barry episode yet, but he had mostly similar things to say from what you guys are reporting. December, Brendon McDonald, ads. He told me that he had received offers from podcast networks, radio, etc but none of them felt right. I also asked him if there was any plan to have more than The Best Show (like a Best Show network with multiple shows) and he said there is no plan right now, he is busy making The Best Show great.

Yes, this! Forgot to mention these points from the Todd Barry podcast:
that he had a decent offer from public broadcasting, but he was worried about control of his own show;
that he had a decent offer from a podcast network, but they didn't have the infrastructure (studio and ability to allow live callers).

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #358 on: November 26, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »

When I get back from Thanksgiving, I will get the recording and share it with anyone who is interested. It was so damn generous of Tom to call into my dumb show. I am more excited than ever for the return!

Please do!

stubing

• Policemans heel
« Reply #359 on: November 26, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »
This sounds awesome. I was hoping it would be by subscription, I guess because I wanted a way to pay a few bucks for something I love. When I heard the Todd Barry interview, it all made sense. For the show to be what it is, you need the freeloading weirdos to call in. If it was just folks who paid money because they love the show, we wouldn't get Tom trying to navigate through the anarchy that made the WFMU show so great.