Author Topic: 11/22/63  (Read 1143 times)

Kal_El

• Plantar Fasciitis
11/22/63
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »
On Tom's recommendation I'm reading Stephen King's 11/22/63. Just a few stray observations.

1) I'm listening to the audio book and it is 30 cds long. To put this in perspective, most books are between 12-15.
2) I'm so glad the book publishers felt the need to tell us that it was unabridged on the cover (like we couldn't have figured that out from the fact that it's 30 CDs)
3) The "This is a work of fiction. Any similarity to living characters..." message at the beginning. So we're supposed to believe that another guy named John Kennedy (no relation to the other one) was elected president and shot.
4) Based on Tom's recommendation, I knew it was going to be stupid but the "magic food pantry" really took me by surprise by just how stupid it is.
5) The line "The question isn't where we are... but when" is one of those lines that's so silly and cliche that it's actually been parodied in the TV show community. I couldn't believe that it was actually used in a serious book.

So, I've only started this book. I'll probably add more stray observations as I read.

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
Re: 11/22/63
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
Somehow I feel like 30 CDs is standard for a Stephen King book, if not coming up a bit short.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."