Author Topic: Best Show Deep Cuts  (Read 31469 times)

agent_jimmy

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Best Show Deep Cuts
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
I'm listening to Wurster's call from the 8-30-2010 episode and it might be one of my favorites. The caller thought he sent his son, Chauncey, to Allentown Summer Camp in Lancaster, PA but it was actually Allintown Sumer Camp in Lancaster, NH. Hilarity ensues, as you can imagine.....

it starts about 1:10:00 on the WFMU archive. I'm not sure about the time on the podcast.

This friday (or saturday morning) is the anniversary of GG passing on. it's seems like just yesterday.....

Jixby Phillips

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
There are stupid moments from the show that rattle around in my head constantly. Two that stand out:

A guy calling the show on-topic ends his call by casually saying "smoke weed" instead of goodbye

I LOVE/I HATE: An enthusiastic-sounding goofball is prompted to finish "I LOVE" he says "The Best Show on WFMU hosted by Tom Scharpling" (if I remember correctly) and when prompted for "I HATE" he answers, gleefully, "gay people!"

Stanley

• Policemans heel
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »
Bernie Taupin's Music Tarp...

pnic101

• Policemans heel
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 10:46:21 PM »
Hoping to get help on a call I can't find (without a lot of digging) -- A Philly Boy Roy call where he discusses a petting zoo he runs that has all sorts of dangerous animals.  Anyone know which one this is?  I seem to remember being one of his very funniest.

cameron

• Policemans heel
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 06:14:02 AM »
looking for a call in which the caller (Philly Bly Roy maybe?) is talking about something terrible he'd seen and is borderline screaming, and yells "IT WAS WORSE THAN 'SCANNERS'!! probably rom 2012 or 2013 I think, does anyone know?

DennyRock

• Policemans heel
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 01:27:03 AM »
This is one of those great Scharpling turn-arounds.  IMO, this shows his mastery of knowing ahead of time whether a caller is going to tank and be boring, or lead down a hilarious trail.  I imagine you only get a skill like this after years and years of experience.

Date: 12/15/2009
Time: circa 58 minutes

Tom: 'FMU, you're on the air.

Caller: Oh. hey.

Tom: Hello?

Caller: Hey.  What's goin' on? Hello? Hello?

Tom: Hello.  What's goin' on?  You're on.  Who am I speaking to?

Caller: Theresa.

Tom: Theresa, where are you calling from?

Caller: Oh, I'm calling from the Hudson Valley in New York.

Tom: How are things tonight in the Hudson Valley?

Caller: Very clear...

Tom: ....alright

Caller: Crystal clear.  Crystal clear.

Tom: Okay. Clear.  What can I do for you tonight,
Theresa?

Caller: I don't know what the program dictates.  What is the genre of the evening?

Tom: Well, basically this is a talk show.  We do a thing where we do a lot of personal talk up front, and we do a thing where we transition to hardcore political discussions.

Caller: Oh really now?

Tom: Yes.  So, if you want to kick off the political discussion, the floor is yours.

Caller: Really? Hey. Okay.  Alright.  Well then, why don't we discuss what Steve Perry was discussing as a correspondent in (sic) CNN; he was discussing all the violence that's going on in Chicago and the big problem in the country of the violence of children and children on children.  And how we're very concerned with this overseas conflict when we have this conflict here.

Tom: So, tonight's topic, as suggested by Theresa from the Hudson Valley, is Child-on-Child Violence.  Let's get to the bottom of this tonight.  It is an epidemic ravaging our country, when our own children fight our own children.  Is there really hope for our society?

Now, Theresa are you against this Child-on-Child violence going on in our country?

Theresa:  Well isn't everyone?  Children are our future. They learn what they live.  And as Steve Perry said as the CNN correspondence, the ministers in the community should be ashamed to take their tithe money on Sunday with that much violence in the community, and the politicians well, and the teachers who have a charter school in the country who...

Tom: Now, Steve Perry, he's on what network?

Theresa: CNN.  I should say that his school is out of East Orange and for many many years East Orange would garner the award for Cleanest City in America.

Tom: When did East Orange get that award?  1803?

Theresa: No, in I don't appreciate your sarcasm.

Tom: Now what a minute.  Where are you? Aren't you in the Hudson River Valley?  Why aren't you in East Orange making it better?

Theresa:  I'd love to.

Tom: Then do it.

Theresa: I'd love to.

Tom: So, do it!

Tom: Now you got mad when I suggested that East Orange won the award in 1803.

Theresa: Yeah, they won the award up until the 70's.

Tom: Now, when you say "70's" do you mean the year 70?  Alright let me read this note from my producer.  Okay it says "Hang up on this call.  It is a boring call and no one wants to listen to it."  Theresa, I just want to say thank you for kicking off the show.  We're going to have a great topic and a great show so thank you for your contribution.

Caller: Okay, and just the other day on Sunday...

Click.

dave in the yard

• Policemans heel
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 05:41:23 AM »
im laughing so hard remembering/reading that.  that is the BEST.

Stanley

• Policemans heel
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
Zork Is Coming!

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »
Zork Is Coming!

My favorite Best Show segment ever.

"Drain me Zork" - Roderick Piper.

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 06:56:54 PM »
Some of my favorite recent Wurster calls that never got the Gems love are the Darren Goes to Rock 'n Roll Fantasy Camp call from November 2010 and the Ron Scharpling post-Christmas call from December 2010.

Wurster is ON FIRE for the Ron Scharpling call. From the second Tom answers, "Ron" is just unloading. It's fantastic and just escalates from there. They found a whole new gear in that one.

Conversely, the Darren call is fascinating becomes it's from Tom's first show back after a couple month sabbatical and he still sounds pretty down and gets pretty frustrated with Darren as the call goes on (Darren got fudge all over his car). He's said on these boards that he was only acting, so it's definitely a great example of how much Tom brings to the table as a straight man -- and also how hard being a straight man is.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

JRSly

• Policemans heel
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 01:01:03 AM »
Ha, Tom really does sound at his wit's end with Darren's nonsense. I've always really loved that call too, the running gag of people being absurdly short never ceases to slay me.

ndmvhc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
Anyone know the episode when a caller mentions he is "shredding reams [of paper]"? I think the caller was Darren but I'm not sure. I just remember the "shredding reams" part and that it was awesome.

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »
Anyone know the episode when a caller mentions he is "shredding reams [of paper]"? I think the caller was Darren but I'm not sure. I just remember the "shredding reams" part and that it was awesome.

One call that comes to mind is Bill from CC on May 13, 2008. He gave a laundry list of excuses for the company softball game, and every time Tom caught him in a lie, he constantly corrected himself by saying "you must have misunderstood me," then changed his story. "Shredding reams" is repeated throughout at one point.

It's also a Best Show Gem:
http://wfmu.org/listen.m3u?show=41629&archive=71513
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

ndmvhc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 01:07:07 AM »

One call that comes to mind is Bill from CC on May 13, 2008. He gave a laundry list of excuses for the company softball game, and every time Tom caught him in a lie, he constantly corrected himself by saying "you must have misunderstood me," then changed his story. "Shredding reams" is repeated throughout at one point.

It's also a Best Show Gem:
http://wfmu.org/listen.m3u?show=41629&archive=71513

Thanks!

Great call. "I'm not weaving anything!" "My mommy put it on top of the fridge where I couldn't get to it."

noah

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
I'm working my way through 2007, Martin from Edison tells his story about almost getting beat up in Boston while skateboarding, Tom goes for Tony Alva and some destroying pools jokes instead of the obvious Tony Hawk and maybe some Street League jokes.  Such a good example of Tom's ability to make gold out of nothing and vast cultural knowledge.  The Best.