Author Topic: Best Show Deep Cuts  (Read 31485 times)

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
Re: Best Show Deep Cuts
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 05:27:28 PM »
I think I have traced the first Earles and Jensen appearance back to 2001 when Tom did the big Bands on the Run show.

AspiringCanadian

• Policemans heel
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2014, 03:30:44 PM »
From the 2/8/11 show.  The call starts at the 2:52:30 mark.
The caller wants to discuss Olivia Munn in the hate pit, the caller says he's married, Tom is 100% certain that he is not and asks him when he got married.  He declares, March 30th, 2006.  While I guess it's possible, March 30th, 2006 was a Thursday.  Tom censures him at the end! 

I don't know if this is necessarily the right thread for this, but I found it hilarious.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »
From the David Clayton Thomas "lost episode:"

Dick Halligan Jr.: The only thing I do want to bring up Tom, Thank God my father trademarked the work "Kwanzaa" before his death.

Tom: The word "Kwanzaa"--you mean the African American holiday?

Dick Halligan Jr.: Well, actually it was a term my father used to say, it was a jazz term. My father would, in between trombone solos, would scat and say things, and one of those things was "uh-kawanzaa, kawanzaa, kawanzaa, kawanzaa"

Tom: So he got a copyright on that.

Dick Halligan Jr.: He copyrighted the word "Kwanza"a, and this year alone Kwanzaa has made revenues over $700 Million and we see,--

Tom: Now that I find very...

Dick Halligan Jr.: --the Halligan family sees 15% of that.

spamheat

• Policemans heel
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »
These are deep cuts in the sense of not being Gems, but they are relatively recent and maybe not so obscure. Just do yourself a favour and re listen to Tom's Nephew Caesar on Dec. 7, 2010 and call from an Egyptian (Rick Von Gilderschmidt), Feb 8, 2011 ("You Egyptadip!"). Both are in the midst of the mouse plague and it's easy to see why with how hilarious these calls are. Really cannot wait for this to return.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 02:11:01 PM »
I was so pleased to see that Count Rockula made the cut for the box set. That's probably my favorite call of the past 3 or 4 years.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

ccorbin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »
<3

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »
COUNT ROCKULA: ... And they figured out that my CD about saving the environment actually killed about 245 baby raccoons.

TOM: Oh my God. So that's kind of what you meant about it not going well.

COUNT ROCKULA: It didn't go well at all, no.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »
Listening to the show in order and up to early 2006...the Mexican-standoff for an apology between Tom and "Poster Children" I listened to last night is a complete classic. Even Tom's run of the mill shows are so much better than the best anything else! Also, as Mike W has commented before, the slow emergence of AP Mike over the episodes is a thing to behold. So far though Mike Healy's pass-agg convo with Tom about DVDs takes the cake...

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
Listening to the show in order and up to early 2006...the Mexican-standoff for an apology between Tom and "Poster Children" I listened to last night is a complete classic. Even Tom's run of the mill shows are so much better than the best anything else! Also, as Mike W has commented before, the slow emergence of AP Mike over the episodes is a thing to behold. So far though Mike Healy's pass-agg convo with Tom about DVDs takes the cake...

The Poster Children were super annoying.

spamheat

• Policemans heel
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »
The Poster Children were super annoying.

They certainly were. But at least they gave us Zeph Marshak.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »
They sounded just like what I imagine Pomplamoose sound like when speaking (actually, the lady poster child wasn't that bad, the guy tho....just. wow.)

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
Now, the guy playing Rick from Poster Children who talks to Zeph wasn't *actually* Rick from Poster Children.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »
Re: Poster Children/Zeph, I can reveal that while there are two Zeph quick-hits in the Numero box, a couple of other meatier Zeph calls were ultimately not strongly considered because they were too wrapped up in that weird Poster Children feud and, in one case, featured a rather humorless Mr. Valentin.

This included his riffs on Thanksgiving with Rick and Rose where he was "in the cups”, talk of the appearance of “little Zeph,” taking PC drummer Howie Kantoff to task for wearing gloves, etc.  There was another call where he talked about slapping tethered rhinos to condition his hands for competitive slapfighting. He also wanted Marvel to consider a “Skillet Man” character.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies