Author Topic: Best Show Deep Cuts  (Read 31484 times)

Time Dad

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Best Show Deep Cuts
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »
I really appreciate this, thank you both :)

kennybloggins

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2014, 01:40:17 AM »
From January 31, 2012, Tom constructs a fake Coast to Coast AM themed sitcom about a half hour in, replete with the bumper music. It stars Major Ed Dames and Michio Kaku.

"Hey, what's the matter?" "I dropped my hat down Mel's Hole!"

He stops after realizing he's gone "too far inside my own head." It was such a weird crossover between two of my favorite radio shows.

DennyRock

• Policemans heel
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2014, 01:10:09 AM »
Can anyone remember the episode where someone says they imitated Tom to impress a date?

Chooch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »
I just listened to nearly three hours of Tom calling pay phones... Now that's cutting deep. Clem!

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »
I listened to that one on an extended flight across the country- definitely a loopy experience after a while.  There were some great slice-of-life moments though for the people who did finally pick up.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2014, 11:22:22 PM »
From the January 23, 2007 episode:

Tom is angry and hurt because some kid has told him that his show is no good. I find that these callers often provoke some of the best of the Best Show. It's sick, I know.

Anyway, Tom then talks about how he tried to rent the movie "Beer League." He's standing at Redbox (or some other supermarket rental thing) and the screen freezes for two minutes on Artie Lange's face. People are walking by and Tom believes they're sneering at him and thinking, "That's the best movie he can rent, Beer League?"

I laughed so hard I thought I was going to fall down. 10 years after I started listening to the show.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
From January 31, 2012, Tom constructs a fake Coast to Coast AM themed sitcom about a half hour in, replete with the bumper music. It stars Major Ed Dames and Michio Kaku.

"Hey, what's the matter?" "I dropped my hat down Mel's Hole!"

He stops after realizing he's gone "too far inside my own head." It was such a weird crossover between two of my favorite radio shows.

You should listen to this episode "November 13, 2001: Tom Talks To Nostrodamus Scholar John Hogue ."

vomitnoise

• Policemans heel
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »
Can anyone remember the episode where someone says they imitated Tom to impress a date?

Just came across this - call starts at 0:33:18.
 April 12, 2011: Tom had a bad experience with ice cream! The protégé race heats up with new candidates and dropouts! The topic is “Forward/Backwards” – are things getting better or worse? Record Store Day! Trump for Prez! Excitement for the next Fast & Furious movie!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2017, 09:11:08 PM »
iago - I was wrong. Omar says that *is* Rick from Poster Children and he *is* that smarmy. Live and (don't) learn, I guess!

Hey, Omar - Rick from Poster Children (or at least the guy who says he's Rick much later) actually calls in on the 4/6/2004 at about 1:11 (on the download).

I looked through this thread - Beer League is still incredible. It's at 2:50 of the archive.

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2017, 09:44:48 PM »
2006-06-20 - Zachary Brimstead says the n-word at about 2h27m in.

Tom is so exasperated. It's incredible. So unbelievable.

Flat1ander

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
I just listened to nearly three hours of Tom calling pay phones... Now that's cutting deep. Clem!

YES! That's an epic call though, isn't it?!?

Flat1ander

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »
time?

Sorry, forgot to add that... Mike is on at about 2 hours and 51 minutes. Right after a terrible call from Petey (as if there was ever a good call).

This is after Petey's voice has changed significantly, and every time he says "Tommy" it creeps me out.

Does anyone know when the last Petey call is? Wondering if he ever randomly called much later in the shows history or just grew out of it.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »
I"m in early 2004 and I keep hearing Pat Byrne calls - for a while, he was the Guy Who Loves Matt Walsh (Maybe a Bit Too Much).

So Pat calls in for years and then works at WFMU... Mike gets in a fight with Tom on a message board and then tries out to be a call screener...

I assume Tom and Dudio met through the NY comedy scene, but what's the story there?

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
time?

Sorry, forgot to add that... Mike is on at about 2 hours and 51 minutes. Right after a terrible call from Petey (as if there was ever a good call).

This is after Petey's voice has changed significantly, and every time he says "Tommy" it creeps me out.

Does anyone know when the last Petey call is? Wondering if he ever randomly called much later in the shows history or just grew out of it.

I don't really know what year/date. I think I heard his final call. He was basically "given away" to Night People by Tom when he started calling that show more often, and one of the guys from Night People called the show. Then Petey posted something on the forums (I think?) that really bothered Tom. He called the Best Show the next week --They had some sort of ongoing argument that I don't really remember the details of but it all ended on a not-positive note. If you can find a description that maybe mentions someone from Night People calling, it would be the episode after that maybe? Man, this all happened forever ago.

I've met Petey. I like Petey. But Petey outgrew the show, and the show outgrew Petey. Pour one out!
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »
Hope we get another Tom Can't Complain soon- Petey's call during the last one was such a feel-good moment that Tom seemed pretty unfazed by the rest of it.