Author Topic: Where to start with tBS?  (Read 4094 times)

nreload

• Policemans heel
Where to start with tBS?
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »
Hello. I am new to the Best Show, I have listened a lot of tBS Gems and some of the full episodes.

Can you suggest me with which year of broadcasting should I start? 2010, 2011? Maybe older stuff?

nreload

• Policemans heel
Re: Where to start with tBS?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
Common give me your opinion :D

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:21:16 PM »
I got into the show in the last year or so of it being on the air. After it ended, I decided to start from the very beginning. I'm really enjoying it, so that's one way to go.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

AspiringCanadian

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
In my opinion, the show really hits its stride in 2005, but there are definitely some great things prior to that.  The rise and fall of Weirdos Exposed in 2009 is a good arc.  One of my favorite shows I've listened to as of late was from 9/8/09.  Lots of funny studio guests and Tom (along with repairman Karl) interview American Idol star Sanjaya.

jimakaclark

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »
I was a big fan already and listened to the show live during most of its run.  I randomly decided to start listening in 2008 and that has been going pretty well.  If you are brand new to the Best Show, try 2005 like someone else suggested.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 01:49:51 PM »
I started listening to the JW bits of every episode in about 2004. I'd heard Rock, Rot & Rule a year or two before.

In 2010, I started listening to the new shows forward and the archives backward. With no new shows for the moment, I'm moving faster backward through the archives. I've heard enough from the early shows to know where most things are going, but the backwards thing is fascinating in that you get to hear the regular callers devolve and then disappear after you hear their first call.

Frank from Weehawken, for example, originally calls in as "Frank from Scotch Plains."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

AspiringCanadian

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »
Cool.  Do you happen to know when Spike first called?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Do you happen to know when Spike first called?
I'll bet P.C. Mike does.
Although, since I have yet to hear "the first perfect Best Show", he may be unreliable.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

D.JGeorge

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 04:03:42 AM »
Hit up the podcasts to ease in, ironically spike call was my first TBS memory

VealCutlet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 02:30:02 AM »
I first stumbled into the show in 2004 when Tom skewered Wilco's "A Ghost is Born".  I listened sporadically for a few years but it became appointment radio in 2007. I think the show hit its stride in 2009 with great guests, calls, etc. Then, by 2011, Tom spun everything on its ear with the regular caler ban, and the show took on a new life.
That's just the tip of the ice cube.