Author Topic: Best Show 2008, a 'reflection'  (Read 2450 times)

Patrick

• Achilles bursitis
Best Show 2008, a 'reflection'
« on: September 25, 2014, 01:47:23 PM »
i recently make my way, very quickly i should add, through the 2008 season on the Best Show.  while i remember listening to much of this live, as i was already a crazed fan in 2008, by then i had already made my way through the archive twice.  in 2008 i would make it a point to listen to the show live, and would always listen to it again via podcast.  2008 was a strange year for me personally, the highlight (lowlight) would have to had been me being involved in a Bike/Car accident, that sent me to the emergency room and about 6 week of healing.  i also for various and stupid reason moved twice that year, which we all know is never an easy task...  all of this is to say that i was perhaps distracted and did not truly understand everything that was happening on the best show in 2008.  of course the Newbridge election was in full swing, and there are some amazing highlights that came out of that.  in addition some of the other craziest things showed up in 2008, may i present some of my highlights (non Mayubinatorial related)...

some of the Best and the WORST calls Spike ever made came in the year 2008, he said Silly Virus in one of them, and talks about how he snubbed Tom and the Record Fair.
Coffin Talk
the first calls from 'Larry da Perv'
Match Wits With Mike
Hugmans Story of 1000 fights
the story of the family that went on vacation to State College Pa just to get a photo taken with Joe Pa
John Hodgmans first appearance
Dylan Milford president of the Spike Fan club checks in
Toms Story of trying to scalp Nirvana tickets
Big Bill Little Bill and Mr Sherbet checking in
The Order of Everything
Ted Leo writes a song live on the air
James
Fredricks runs the gantlet
fab 5 of jerks
Todd Palin checks in
whos the dumbest member of CSNY
Toms Bashing of Leno, Kid Rock and Kevin Smith
Julie from Cincinnati
Stoned Petey

it was in 2008 that tom started saying stuff like "you dont realize how deep this goes" and "people will be listening to this in the future and trying to figure all this out"  i have to say Tom was right.  those have to be some of my favorite moments during the entire year, and so overall greatest highlights ever. 

im just about the start 2009, and cant wait to re listen to plenty of those shows, especially the premier of the Mike Show.

you're gonna love hell, its a lot like Ohio.

little mickey

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Best Show 2008, a 'reflection'
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about your accident Patrick. Bizarrely enough I've been doing the same thing and loving it.
One of the highlights for me, which I think gets a call back in later years, is Tom discussing Brian Wilson's proposed concept album 'Fantasy Island'!

DennyRock

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »
"Who's the dumbest member of CSNY" is my favorite topic of all time.  It kills me not having participated in it.

djtyler

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 11:59:54 PM »
Now I'm listening to "The World is in the Turlet" episode again. Damn good times. I'm going to re-listen to the whole year after this.

Patrick

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
Tom discussing Brian Wilson's proposed concept album 'Fantasy Island'!

your right!  that was great!
you're gonna love hell, its a lot like Ohio.

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
Now I'm listening to "The World is in the Turlet" episode again. Damn good times. I'm going to re-listen to the whole year after this.

God, I loved that episode. I've been moving through 2008 also and really enjoying it.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

RonJon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »
I'm listening to this year at the moment also.  I found out about the show around 2005-06 and started listening religiously in 2007.  I didn't realize, at the time, that 2008 was such a pivotal moment in the shows progression.  After to listening to it all a couple times, I feel like 2008 was when Tom really took it to the next level.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »

I'm re-listening to Best Show 2008 as well, just listened to this magical episode last week and got goosebumps all over again upon hearing the song and the joy in Tom's voice. 

2008 is also the year of the Rise, Fall and Rise again of Steve from North Hollywood.  I'm in the late summer now and he's beginning his comeback.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 01:09:03 AM »
Currently listening to the September 23, 2008 episode. It starts with a conversation between Julie from Cincinnati and Spike.
Dear Lord, that had to be one the of the most unsettling things I've listened to and yet I was slightly disappointed when it ended.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

RemyLBO

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »
Coffin Talk is the first Best Show thing I had ever heard.

I was randomly driving home from work late, and heard that whole thing.

I stopped in front of my apartment and sat in the car for 45 minutes laughing my head off at a show that I didn't know the name of, or who was hosting.